Used 2010 Toyota Highlander SUV Consumer Reviews - 77 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Toyota Highlander SUV Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

Highlander High
By Rich Hasenfus

2010 Toyota Highlander SUV SE 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Great SUV for the family!

Very reliable
By Bryce Wallace

2010 Toyota Highlander SUV Sport 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have nothing but positive things to say about the Base model AWD 6-cyl. Highlander that we purchased in 2010 with 5000 miles on it. We bought it in the Bay Area from a dealership after the finance manager had driven it for 5000 miles. This vehicle is very, very reliable and has required only one dealer repair where the hydraulics on the rear cargo hatch had to be replaced in 2012. Our Highlander now has 165,000 miles and just keeps on moving forward in all kinds of weather and road conditions including rain, icy roads, fresh snow, packed snow, and of course dry mountain roads. I have kept up on the maintenance including all fluids and hydraulic oils which has kept this vehicle in tip top running condition. If you want a reliable SUV, even with high mileage, I recommend the 2010 Toyota Highlander (If you can look @ the vehicle maintenance and repair records of the previous owner, of course).

No frills, no headaches!
By Gator

2010 Toyota Highlander SUV 4dr SUV (2.7L 4cyl 6A)

Ok, no Bluetooth and no NAV screen but if you need a reliable and spacious SUV to haul lots of stuff and provide a ride more like a sedan than a truck (think Mountaineer), this is a great vehicle. We elected the basic model simply because we have basic needs and don't use this for long trips (esp when there is a Lexus sedan sitting next to it). Without the frills you get more for your dollar and fewer headaches when repair bills pop up. No repairs or any shop time other than routine maintenance over the 8 yrs of ownership. Mileage is only 34k. No off-road action for these city folks. FWD provides good traction and easy steering also with our preferred Michelin tires. Get use to a jack rabbit start if you aren't used to electronic fuel injection because this mini-mighty 2.7 L engine is amazing. Plan to haul your Mother-in-law and her furniture back to the mountains with a U Haul in tow? You'd better get a V6 or V8 (depending on the size of your cargo). Despite the size of this SUV the power train and FWD are perfect for our needs.

Love my highlander, bought another and kept 2010
By Aunt Kay

2010 Toyota Highlander SUV 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Toyota dependable and plenty of zip with the V6. 8 years and 145k miles later and I still love it enough that when looking at new cars I will only replace it with another Highlander. It has survived three boys, towing utility trailers for jet skis, kayaks, mulch and more. I only have three complaints. The front door arm rests have small plastic supports that broke. The third row seat has virtually no leg room and too much plastic on the bumper. I miss real bumpers. My only major repairs out of pocket are a water and fuel pump both after 130k miles. Recalls were accelerator and window motor. On long trips I used a Yakima topper. The five us fit comfortably even as adults with the back seat for one person stretched out along the seat. Our trips are 12 hours one way to visit my family. Drives and parks easily like a car, but love the visibility of being a little higher and ability to carry toys and do yard work. Love it so much I kept it and bought a 2018.

Boring but reliable
By SHansford

2010 Toyota Highlander SUV Sport 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this car for my wife but inherited it for myself when she wanted to downsize. There is nothing special about this car. It’s got good storage, moves when needed, and has the reliability of a Toyota.