Used 2002 Toyota Highlander Consumer Reviews - 229 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Toyota Highlander Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

02 shines in mountains
By DJ DeLano

2002 Toyota Highlander Limited AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Heated seats, leather, pwr sunroof,newer Cooper tires.

Sold
By Cody Beilman

2002 Toyota Highlander AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Nice little car. I was pleasantly surprised that it had as much pep as it did. Great off road and in snowy conditions. Smooth ride, ok MPG.
Sold it, lost a lot of value in 5 yrars.

Excellent vehicle.
By JAMES HUBBARD

2002 Toyota Highlander Limited 2WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Runs excellent. Had for 15 years, Kept all maintenance up to date. Never had trouble with it.

One of the best cars I've ever owned
By D. Quarrell

2002 Toyota Highlander Limited AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this car new in '02 and have put over 260,000 miles on it and don't regret the purchase ever and would consider buying another '02 Highlander to replace it (with fewer miles, of course, maybe 150,000 if I could afford it). Has never let us down. Vehicles like this justify Toyota's "can't kill 'em" reputation, not to mention the loyalty of long-term Toyota owners (bought my first one in '71).

[Update] - At 273,000 miles, my opinion hasn’t changed. Have had to replace a few parts that most cars don’t live long enough to need, but “fair wear & tear” is fair. Still love the car, still think it’s the best ever.

It finally died at 230K miles
By Keisha M.

2002 Toyota Highlander Limited AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my blue Highlander from the dealership, I was the 2nd owner. I got it at 59,000 miles and it just died on my about a month ago at 230,000+ miles. I absolutely loved this car. I previously owned a Toyota 4Runner (V6) and loved that car too, had it at college and it was a great, safe vehicle that I used to pile my college friends into when we went out. I was constantly on the highway with a lead foot and never had a problem with that. I didn't expect that much from the Highlander but I found out, it was just as reliable at the 4Runner but with a smoother ride. I never had an issue with the engine, but I maintain my cars very well. Also, this Highlander got me through 4 blizzards in the DC/MD/VA area without an issue, and I never hesitated to take it out on the snowy roads, it was actually pretty fun. Car had an awesome amount of get up and go and loved to "race" faster cars who would sleep on me at the light. Lol. My car engine died and I am still not willing to give it up. It just got a brand new battery and four new tires before it died. I plan on finding a new engine eventually and keeping it for my son to drive when he's ready.