Used 2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser Consumer Reviews - 75 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific FJ Cruiser model:

Loose steering is dangerous
By Denielle

2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I have owned a previous 2009 Ford F-350 with loose steering, but this is way worse. The drive is comfortable at lower speeds but above 55 mph the vehicle almost veered into the next occupied lane while driving. I have to 2 hand drive with full attention on the road, waiting for the FJ to suddenly shift Left and Right.
The gas mileage is also not as expected. I can watch the gauge go down.
Very disappointed and will be trading it back as soon as I can.

Can't part w/my FJ
By Xavier

2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought it in 2008 and can't seem to find something else that is remotely as unique as the FJ. I've not had a single issue with the engine or anything else on the FJ. I like the room in the cargo area, the easy clean of the interior, and generally everything about her. Almost. The only complaint I have is that the back windows of the suicide doors do not roll down. This is a big issue for my dogs. It's the only thing I would change. Handles very well in all conditions. MPG is around 21 city. Towing MPG is around 14 for 3500 lbs.

2008 FJ Cruiser
By Aaron

Great offload vehicle.

Best Toyota I've ever owned!!
By Vanimal

2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

So... This is the 4th Toyota 4X4 I have owned since the early 80's. Started with a 79' pick up then went to an 87' 4-Runner then a 96' Landcruiser. This by far has been my favorite. Though I have to give kudos to my 79' pick up as that thing went wherever I pointed it. This first and foremost is a truck. Sure it looks cool but it does ride on a truck frame. Blind spots, yes it has them but you get used to it. Drop in some stick on bubble mirrors and you're done. Rear passenger room.. I don't sit back there so who cares?? I'm 6'-2" by the way and have plenty of room in the front. Gas mileage... Driving around here in the Denver area at altitude, I'm pulling 16-18 MPG average in the city, not much better on the highway. I am running a 3 inch lift with mud terrain tires too. That really adds to the road noise but I had the same issue with my other trucks. Reliability.. I'm over 165K and no oil leaks, no issues and he pulls like a mule. Great power for a 5000 lb vehicle. Off road capabilities... Awsome! A-Trac and factory rear lockers have made this the best performing off roader I have ever owned. Fun factor... out of this world. You get a commanding view of the cars in front of you and get a lot of looks from other drivers, including Jeep owners that have occasionally given me a thumbs up. No.. not the other finger gesture you are thinking of.. :) Though with such a long roof line, it feels like you are wearing a baseball cap all the time. Yes I may be bias but he is my 4th Toyota and so far, he has not disappointed. Oh yeah.. it also has the highest resale value of any SUV out there.. Look it up.. I'm not saying the FJC is perfect but if you have the adventure outdoor lifestyle, then this vehicle is for you. That and you won't believe the aftermarket parts and accesories you can get for it. Can you say Overlanding??

Trading for another with 4WD. Love this vehicle.
By Molly Carpenter

2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Takes a little while to adjust to blind spots.