Used 2001 Toyota ECHO Coupe Consumer Reviews - 34 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Toyota ECHO Coupe Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific ECHO model:

Best car ever made
By Greg tritle

2001 Toyota ECHO Coupe 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

My car is actually a 2001 Echo cool. It's the best little car that I've ever owned and I'm 66 1/2 years old. I just got 44 MPG's all city. It's so reliable ride so beautifull.air conditions phenomenal. I love them God instantly used to the center consul. The material holds up well. It's just a fantastic car if I can marry this car I would ..

always goes anywhere any time! Perfect car.
By Matthew Langer

2001 Toyota ECHO Coupe 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

its not what you want its what you need! Still the perfect car

Best value around.
By mikebean

2001 Toyota ECHO Coupe 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

This car has been in my family since it was purchased for ~$10k in 2001.
There is currently 130k miles on it. I'm still averaging around 40mpg in the summer and 36mpg in the winter. Crazy that this car is still worth something in the neighborhood of $3-3.5k private party. You can't ask for more than that. If it weren't for the need to fit two car seats (2nd child on the way), I would never give this car up. It's just too good of a value. I should also mention that it's very fun to drive.

Work performed: computer failed at about 90k ($1100), bushings replaced (120k),
engine coil replaced (120k), catalytic converter needs to be replaced along with the exhaust (MN winters = rust + holes)

Saving money never gets old - gas mileage = win. Why is it so hard to find a small car over 10 years later that gets the same gas mileage?

Ugly as sin but gets the job done.

Love my lil' Echo
By zachcccc

2001 Toyota ECHO Coupe 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

My Echo is amazing after 145,000 miles I'm still getting ~35mpg on an automatic and I'm not the most 'timid' driver. The handling is pretty good, especially for a car this cheap. Also maintenance is a breeze an oil change every now and again and my Echo does fine. I fill up for gas about 2 times a month (every 760miles or so) the only thing that I replaced were the Spark Plugs after 135,000 miles, and that was a cheap and easy to do. The Echo is also really roomy and comfortable to ride/ be a passenger in. I love my lil' Echo its a great car.

Why does Edmonds hate on the ECHO?
By dllibrarian

2001 Toyota ECHO Coupe 2dr Coupe (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought an ECHO in 2001 even after reading what Edmonds had to say about it. The car is still going strong after 176,000 miles.
Even at age ten, the ECHO has more testicular fortitude than the 2012 Hyundai Accent I test-drove last weekend.
And, with all due respect to the reviewers, I happen to like the unusal "cartoon" styling of the ECHO, especially when car companies are all turning out their own versions of the same car.
Viva la difference!

Peppy engine, ample headroom, agile, compact, fun to drive and easy to park

My only beef with Toyota is that they didn't continue to build and refine the Echo. I won't be buying a Yaris.