Used 2013 Toyota Avalon Consumer Reviews

Used Avalon for Sale
Select your model:
12345...14

Pros
Cons

Avalon - A luxury but affordable full size sedan

francisr12, 05/27/2013

Before anything else, let me say this "this is the third Toyota I owned and drove more than 160,000 on my previous two without any breakdown or problem even a minor one. I looked for a comfortable full size sedan for my family with two kids instead of a minivan or SUV due to MPG issue. I decided to purchase an Avalon XLE after test drive of Ford Taurus, Nissan Maxima & Infinity G37..So far I confidently say I made a right choice. The car handling may not be as sporty as the Infinity, inside its cabin we can really enjoy the quality of the Bluetooth audio system because it is so quite thanks to the use of noise reduction glass & its air drag coefficient of 0.28.

Just What I Needed

twigster, 08/24/2013
XLE Touring 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

This is my "highway" car. Drove to NEPA Pocono Area with my electronic drums in the trunk. The July shakedown cruise to our yearly SummerJam proved the Avalon's capability. I tend to travel fast (above the speed limit) and got almost 30 MPG while feeling safe and in control. Love the transmission and the steering and despite what MT may say about "steering feedback" I didn't find that a negative since I didn't want a "sports car" or want to "feel the road". Spent almost three weeks driving around the N.E.P.A. area roads that I grew up driving on (I live in Tampa), these are what we call "driving! roads". Again, the car made it a blast - it went everywhere like it owned the road. UPDATE 2/24/2016 The Multi-media system that controls the GPS and entertainment went bad in Dec. '15 while on a short get away outside my home state. I carry a Garmin as a backup, whew. My dealership and Toyota stepped up in top shelf fashion and in a week the car was fixed, detailed and ready. The car is still performing as originally reviewed and the MPG is improving as the car breaks in. I miss not having back seats that fold down and find that the sun really plays havoc on my eyes when reflected in the chrome that trims the interior - which happens all too suddenly and frequently. Sunglasses and seat positioning are not solutions. Someone suggested flat black tape but I'm just not sure it's an aesthetic I could tolerate...unless this becomes a safety issue. As great as the interior looks the chrome could be a deal breaker for a future Avalon.

Great Car for the Money

2013avalon, 06/29/2013

I knew this was the car as soon as I sat in the drivers seat for a test drive. I got the pearl white and tan interior with chocolate accents.. Amazing car. I constantly put customers in my car and being 6'4" in any other car the person behind me never had room. Not they have a good 4" of extra leg room. Not the fastest car but it isn't the slowest. I do not have the navi because I have owned toyota's before and they have never really had good ones, and with cell phones who really needs it...

Whine in the transmission

ktw1958, 05/20/2015
XLE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Since buying this car with 13K miles on it I have noticed a whine coming from the transmission. I am wondering if any other '13 Avalon owners have experienced the same? Kind of concerning since it's a relatively new car and sounds like an old one! We love the car in every aspect except that one!

Defective Upholstery

J.R. McDaniel, 07/19/2015
XLE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Front passenger upholstery detached underneath seat and would not stay attached when clipped back in place. I finally placed three paper clip clamps on the edge which have kept them in place. The back to one of the front seats detached and would not reattach. The dealership replaced both backs to the front seats as a factory defect at no cost to me. The plastic frame around the edge of the front passenger seat has now detached and will not reattach. I plan to again see if the dealer will help me on this issue. This 2013 Avalon now has a little over 18,000 miles. I shutter to think what shape these seats will be in at 180,000 miles.

12345...14