Used 2004 Toyota Avalon Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used Avalon for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

Avalon 2004

Antonio Gonzales, 09/23/2016

Very reliable car

Best kept secret ever

avylvr, 07/26/2014

I traded in a junk Buick in Dec of 2012 for my beautiful 2004 one owner, all service records, 72,000 mile Avalon. I had read reviews which appeared it was a good car and man were they right. It's been growing on me, I love this car. I commute 120 miles round trip a day so now I'm at 124,000 miles and this car still feels like it came off the showroom floor. I sunk about $1500 into it with new Pirelli tires, new front rotors and brakes all the way around, new rear wheel bearing, transmission service and of course the timing belt/water pump maintenance. I'm going for 400k miles. It was well taken care of before me by a little old lady and I will continue to do the same.

The Japanese Buick

Ron Stephenson, 12/22/2015
XL 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Here is one of the best, most reliable cars on the market. Now 11years old, and no problems whatsoever. Quiet on the road, great mileage for a larger car and smooth handling, good brakes, great heat and cooling. Get in, drive all you want and get out rested. Once in the car, your passengers are impressed with the quality of materials and how quiet it is. Smooth ride, and lots of legroom in back. Could use larger cup holders, but the two will accommodate normal sized cups. I was so impressed with my wife's identical car that I decided to dump my Infinity M-35 and get one for myself. A low-mileage one came up at the Toyota dealer, with new tires on a 42,000 mile example. If you need a somewhat larger car with a decent v-6 engine that gets good gas mileage and great comfort for trips, this is your car.

Best Car I have owned

Neese, 10/14/2010

I purchased this car new in 12/04 and have 60,000 miles. Other than oil changes, tires and routine work it has been free of any problems or concerns. I love the smooth ride and comfortable seats with warmers for winter!! This car is by far the most comfortable and easy to drive car I have ever owned.

Bought car used

avalonowner4, 06/05/2014

I bought mine off the Toyota lot used. and it was a great choice. the quality of the leather and the interior design is good for being a Toyota. The roominess of the car is also great enough room for four people to sit comfortably and stretch out.

Avalon 04

Stan Mills, 11/12/2006

The feel and roominess are great, the noise level is very low. Handling is very good, and the ride is smooth. The power is adequate. The only item I am not happy with is the low actual milage compared with the listed average, which is 26 highway though listed at 30, and the town mileage of 20 which is not close to the 26 listed. Highway mileage at 60 mph average is 32, at 75 it is 25.

Good car, enjoying it!

BHSK, 09/29/2003

I researched many consumer websites before purchasing. I was wanting a spacious, reliable, comfortable driving car. I know others who have purchased the Avalon XLS in recent years that are also very satisfied. We recently took a trip and the car handled very smoothly and quietly on the interstate. I had been driving a Cadillac Sedan Deville prior to my purchase and was not happy getting only 18/24 MPG with that vechile, even with premium gas. Also had a number of repairs each year, and the Cadillac parts were very expensive (struts, suspension sensor light, etc). Thus far, it has been easy to see why Avalon has won many "best buy" consumer awards.

Nice, clean car--SHARP!

Delia, 10/04/2019
XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Very smooth ride, A/C works excellently, no noises whatsoever---clean, smooth ride overall.

In A Class All It's Own

Evan, 03/25/2020
XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bench Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Last summer, My 1999 Camry V6 XLE finally bit the dust at over 250k. It had been a good car and I knew I wanted to stick with Toyota, but also was looking for a model with higher feature content. An Aunt of mine was looking to unload her 2004 Avalon XLS to replace it with the 2020 model. She drove it here and there, and after sixteen years, it had only logged a little over 91k. Looked showroom new and was well cared for over it's life so far. I went ahead and made the purchase and I am so glad I did. This big Toyota is far more robust than the Camry. I've always heard people say that the Avalon is a stretched Camry, which is theoretically true. Stretched Camry platform, similar powertrains. However, the cars seem to share little else in common as far as their overall personas. The Camry was slightly more pedestrian, even in XLE guise. They were nice cars either way, but the Avalon takes everything to an entirely new level. Distinctive and understated elegance is the best way I can describe the exterior. Clean, crisp lines and fine detailing that isn't overdone or obnoxious. It won't turn heads, but it exudes a quiet dignity and a small touch of prestige. I just love the interior. I have a model with the bench seat and column shifter. Very spacious and luxurious interior. The leather used seems of higher quality than might be found in an upper level Camry and there is simulated wood grain trim which adds a nice touch. Automatic climate control, heated seats, memory seats, multi info display as well as touches like the wood grain trimmed steering wheel all add to a feeling of opulence and luxury. More sound deadening materials are obviously used as well. The car is amazingly quiet. I get the usual wind noise at highway speeds, but it seems more hushed. In city driving I can't hear much of anything at all, other than the radio. Gas mileage is about what I would expect for a car of this size. Nothing too spectacular, but not dismal either. Some features take some getting used to if you haven't had them before. VSC (Vehicle stability control) is a great feature that aids braking in panic situations to help avoid an accident. It is welcome here. Due to this car's larger dimensions, there is a little more play in the steering as opposed to the Camry. I once activated it in a turn and a beeping warning comes on to let you know it activated. In panic situations it will also apply full braking power regardless of if the driver takes their foot off the pedal or not. You will feel this sensation of the braking engaging. Was a little unnerving the first time with this car on I-25 in Denver, but I realized that it was a feature of the car and have gotten used to it. I really like this car so far and I'm sure with proper care, it will last forever. Very solid, quality vehicle. It's not too hard to find clean, low mileage Avalon models. They aren't popular with the younger crowd. There are many well cared for examples. If you haven't thought about it or have been curious about these cars, they are definitely worth a look.

Top Notch Toyota

Purdue, 11/06/2008

Just bought this car certified used as a swap from an 02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland. A LOT easier, more fun, comfortable to drive than a top line SUV. Rides like a dream even compared to other cars I have tested. Interior is very spacious and elegant. Dash is more recessed than most and feels like there is a ton of room because of it. Classy looking car that is basically a Lexus with the Toyota emblem instead. Great cargo space as I lost nearly nothing from a Jeep to this. First car I have had and enjoying the extra fuel mileage.

2004 XLS Avalon is a Keeper

Jim-n-IL, 07/12/2009

We bought our XLS at 30k and now have 120k. This car is truly the best bang for the buck on the road of any other. We recently had a screech when starting, and replaced starter, didn't fix prob, dealer thought flywheel, turned out to be battery! Features are superb and gas mileage is also. Driving slower (55-60) provides close to 30mpg, above 70 is 28 and less. Onboard computer gives immediate feedback for mpg. Roominess and reliability, not to mention all the options truly make this car a keeper. We recently researched others on this chassis, 00-04 and found several at 250k and up, so that makes us confident. We will keep this one until we get to that point. Why not save your money?!?!

love it

hawkeye, 09/27/2003

I testdrove several cars before deciding on the Avalon. I liked it better than the more expensive Lexus ES300, because the Avalon feels spacier. The nav system is working very well. For destinations that I'm familiar with it always picks the best route I've learned over the years (in 'quickest' mode). It's taught me some new routes when using 'shortest' or 'alternate' mode. The screen is clear under all conditions, being mounted under a slight overhang. The Avalon responds real well, is comfortable/luxurious to drive, and when kicked down really accelerates well for such a large car.

JOHN, 01/30/2005

This my second Avalon was very pleased with first car even more pleased with cutrrent Avalon.I drive from FL to NJ round trip four times a year.. very enjoyable trip.. driving is effortless & extremely comfortable. Comfort of the seats.

2004 Avalon XLS

mjk, 10/17/2003

Wonderfully quiet, comfortable ride. Responsive, easy steering and plenty of acceleration. All the features you'd ever want in a car. I'm delight so far.

Wonderful

Ann, 01/22/2017
XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Best car I've owned---and I've owned a lot of cars over many years. Reliable--safe and rides like a dream.

great car, stiff ride

TIM from akron ohio, 03/24/2017
XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is the second avalon i have owned. the first one was a 2001 and it was the xl model. The one i own now is a 2004 and it is the xls with bucked seats. Ride quality on the 2004 is poor and very disappointing for such a large car. I am going to upgrade to the ls 430 lexus soon. Dependability has been excellent on both cars. the 2004 is so good on gas i have to show people that i am getting 26 combined mpg on the dash. I do run premium fuel and if i run regular it drops to about 22mpg

Quality ride

Jeff Patton, 11/02/2004

This is my first Toyota after years of buying European cars for quality and performance. What took me so long to see the light? The car is the tightest, best built car I've ever driven. Quiet smooth acceleration, great fuel economy (27mpg highway at 75mph), flawless fit and finish, and lots of interior room make this the best car in its class. I would buy another one.

I still love my Avalon

Mattie, 07/02/2008

Purchased my Avalon in June of 2004. I am faithful with oil changes and tire rotation. Have had no problems whatsoever with this car. Inside and outside are still just like new. As comfortable as any car I have ever ridden in. The gas mileage is not as good as the Camry I had before but the comfort of the Avalon makes up for this - especially if you are driving any distance.

Still happy

Bt Jansen, 06/11/2009

Been driving our XLS for about 4 years now. Still very happy. Had an ignition issue where they had to replace the collar. Might have been from AZ heat. Replaced tires at about 55K. In hindsight, would have spent more as you get what you pay for in ride. Cheaper tires not as smooth as stock Michelins. Car is great for long trips. Plenty of power and Lexus like feel to car.

Dealer Attitude

rstuttler, 10/29/2003

After the sale two relatively minor defects were brought to their attention. One defect was brushed off as insignificant. I was blamed for the other defect [which was a dent/gouge on each of the front wheels.

Our Avalon

Kira, 01/21/2004

Well guys, so far this car is excellent! Very roomy and comfy. Performance is great, I cannot say excellent though. Motor is smooth as silk as well as shifting. My one complaint is the doors ding EXTREMELY EASY! I have had to have two taken out already. Im not sure if its the metal used(thickness) or the placement of the molding? I am very displeased with this problem though. Other then that no complaints at all.

Not what they used to be

Bill Martin, 03/15/2006

I must say I am very disappointed in this car. I know the service writer on a personal basis. A transmission at 15,000, 2 power window motors, an engine computer, and waterpump at 19,000. That is plain out bad engineering.

a few upgrades

T J, 10/09/2003

Really nice, get all the options and make it look sporty ie; chrome mags, mud flaps, rear spoiler, nose wrap, rain guards,front hod scoop, auto start, then it will be complete and not your ave toyota-if u got the $ & cents.

Worst car I ever owned

Juwel, 06/05/2010

Bought the vehicle new at the end of 2004-after a half year shaking and 'unsmooth' operation of the steering. Dealer found no problems. Several alignments and different sets of tires showed some improvement, but still not what you expect from a top of the line Toyota. From approx. 20k on rattling and noises from different interior parts... Now after approximately 50k the crank shaft pulleys broke (another $2k was quoted to fix this issue). In short: I bought this car since I had such positive experience with my 1990 Toyota Pick-up (now over 260k miles) and almost no repairs. However my Avalon is from a different breed: Lots of expensive repairs combined with a minimum of enjoyment.

Toyota Avalon xls

Robert Steele, 04/26/2004

Second Avalon I have owned. First one in 1996 was quality. The 2004 model, is very poor quality. They are making the car cheaply, and poorly. The car is smoking like crazy with only 4,000 miles. With 4 trips to the dealership, they say they can't find any problem. I call smoke on a new $32,000.00 dollar car a problem. Lots of road noise, the front seat does not support your legs. The instruments reflect in the windshield. The radio is full of static, after spending 5 trips to the dealership, they say there is nothing they can do. On a $32,000.00 dollar car, give me a break. Buyer BEWARE

Need More for the Money!

Unsatisfied, 01/01/2005

The Toyota Avalon XLS is overpriced for an auto that offers the same features as other cars not in the "Toyota" line. The Avalon has no eye-catching appeal.

Toyota Avalon-2004

Warren, 08/03/2005

Excellent quality. 3.0L engine may be a little small, but, still a good performer. In 2005, Toyota did put a 3.5L engine in the Avalon. The only real negative is the exterior design. It looks like a box coming down the road.

would not buy it again

Pudtat, 01/20/2004

From the very first week the car has had a vibration. Paint scracthes easily. Has a mildew smell from the A/C. I was told by the manufactuer rep that the vibration was normal. Not happy with this car at all.

what a shame when quality is forgotten

bill234, 02/07/2005

I have owned many automobiles since the 1960's on. from a 67 deville convertible to this poorly built avalon. My wife drives a 2002 chevrolet impala with 93000 on it and has had no problems. That is not the same case for my nearly new avalon. my transmission is slipping it seems,my radiator is leaking and because of that makes my car heat up after 15 minutes or so of driving. the dealer claims that is normal at around this time. unexceptable... especially considering the price difference. they arent built in japan anymore and they are built with substandard parts. do yourself a favor and buy a cadillac or chevrolet.

I love Avolon

Peter Farell, 10/26/2003

Toyota is a very fun car to ride in.It is a real family or older peoples car. It is vert safe yet comfertable and reliable

Bad front end Car is "2002 model"

Mike Collins, 03/31/2004

This car is very over-rated based on price and reliabilty. The car has road noise, wind noise from exterior mirrors, and we have had excessive front end problems. I will never buy one of these again, for the price $33,000, should have bought a Lexis, Acura, or simular designed vehicle.

Best Car Ever

Joe F., 12/19/2009

This is the first car I've ever owned for six years and driven for over 60,000 miles, that I can still say drives just as well as the day I bought it. I've had no problems from the beginning and can honestly say it's the best car I've owned in my 46 years of driving. I plan to keep it another 10 years and put at least another 100,000 miles on it.

Great car.

E & N Fitzgerald, 01/08/2010

Yes, truly a great car. Perfect, no. Has been perfect for my wife, I have had issues with it however. Noise from the rear end that turned out to be bushings on the rear stabilizer bars. Replaced twice. Recently the battery went and when a new 5 year was installed the computer died, literally. YES, Toyota did warranty the computer! Even after 5.5 years. Would we by another Toyota? Yes, in another 2 or 3 years depending on usage & miles..

gets better

silverfilmms, 09/01/2003

not a problem and the more i drive it the better it gets. just took my son to albany ny. a five our drive. i thought that i would be alittle sleepy after such a drive,but not at all. i left an infinity lease "i35" and thought that the avalon would mellow me out for such a trip. will be taking the car in for the 5k first service. i purchased this car because im looking to get at least 150k miles before i start looking at cars again.

what gives

rlb3, 09/14/2003

generally still pleased with car and performance

XLS Avalon bucket seats

marred, 09/03/2003

Great car for it's price, comes with all the perks for the top of the line including a navigator, drives like a Mercedes!

Great Car

Nancy W. , 10/18/2003

I sold my American made 1998 Lincoln Mark VIII because it was in the shop every two months with mechanical problems, mostly electrical, although the brake pedal went to the floor at 35,000 miles and the door handle fell off in my hand at 42,000 miles. I purchased a new Avalon from Fred Dargie at Freeman in Santa Rosa, CA. and love it. Note - It was the easiest purchasing experience I have ever had and highly recommend this salesperson. It is comfortable to drive, has more interior room than the far larger Lincoln and is 100% reliable with almost all of the luxury features of the Lincoln. I plan to own this car for a long time.

Don Marts, 10/19/2003

Having owned other Toyotas this is outstanding in appearance and comfort. My only problem will be keeping it within the legal speed limit as it takes off like a bird.

Living with my Avalon

Michael O'Brien, 10/19/2003

I have had many expensive cars in USA and Europe but this is the best.

Highway cruiser

glix, 10/09/2003

Large, comfortable car that cruises the highway effortlessly yet gets good gas milage. For someone on the roal a lot, the reliability of this car is very important to me. Four large adults can ride in this car in comfort, even for long drives.

Casey Charles, 10/22/2003

The Avalon is an extremely smooth riding car on the road and very easy to handle. A very well built, solid car and very comfortable to ride in. Nice size back seat.

avalon is often overlooked

mungous, 10/22/2003

this is a terrific car. i had been an american car owner only, for over 30 years. died in the wool. however, the last 3 GM cars i bought (brand new) left me disappointed. the Monte Carlo needed a new engine at 50K. the 92 SSE Bonneville broke down on average once every 6 months and had to be towed (cheap alternators, plastic coolant nipples in the engine block (!) and just an overall decline in quality)same with the 96 Grand Am (alternators)

Love the Avalon

lloyd70, 11/01/2003

The car is as comfortable or more so than any Cadillac or Mercedes I have owned. It is more fun to drive and I love the gas milage. On a trip to Colorado, we averaged 32 on several legs of the trip. Power is adequate but could be increased.

Ed's Thoughts

eowens0421, 11/09/2003

This is a great car. It has power and pep and is very confortable. The only problem I have is the exterior design as the car looks too long with a high rear end. The front looks good as does the trunk area but do something to make the car look so long.

Avalon

Anthony Libretti, 11/08/2003

This is my second Avalon, trading in aa 2000 Avalon with 46000 miles. This car has the weight, stability and the easy of handling that I like in a vehicle. In addition, it is a modern, yet of a conservation design which is attractive and could be traditional for a long time. We treat it like a baby.

Avalon is a great car

lor4262, 11/27/2003

The Avalon is a smooth riding car I love it and don't have any complaints in the last 4 months. It runs quiet and has a great pick up. I dont agree with the mileage they quote. I am getting about 17 miles on a gallon, I thought that I would get better mileage. I have the bench seat model and when the middle arm rest is down it makes it hard to latch the seat belt.

Best car ever owned out of 20 new

alas124, 11/22/2003

I have had five Toyota Camrys since 1976 and one Toyota Lexus. The Avalon is by far the quietest and best ride of all. So far I have had no problems. All the Toyota cars have been extreamly relyable.

My Wife Loves This Car

TX Toyota Owner, 12/06/2003

This is the second Avalon we've owned (first one was a '98), and the 2003 is a much better car. The ride is very smooth, JBL speakers are worth the money, quality of car is excellent. One could pay more for a big 4 door, but why?! At least twice a month my wife comments on just how pleased she is to have this car & we've had it for a year. It's always great to hear that kind of feedback!

toyota avalon

tennisace, 12/13/2003

reliable, extremely roomy for our very tall family(6.5 and 6.7) even in the rear. XLS comes with everything, we continue to have problems with the vehicle skid control, car only has 5000 miles.

Avalon XLS is the best!

Landlocked, 12/14/2003

Traveling TX and LA, I wanted a car that would give me a big car feel without the 'floating' of the full size luxury cars. I wanted at least 3,000 lbs, 107" wheelbase, to stay under $30,000. There were only 11 cars TOTAL that qualified! Right at $30,000 the Avalon XLS is the best ride / feel / power / luxury / safety for the money. The performance of the standard 6 cyl is more than adequate! Sure, I could have spent a thousand or two less, but for the extra features and luxury, this Avalon XLS is da bomb!

51050