Used 2004 Toyota Avalon Consumer Reviews

Used Avalon for Sale
Select your model:
12345...24

Pros
Cons

Best kept secret ever

avylvr, 07/26/2014
XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bench Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I traded in a junk Buick in Dec of 2012 for my beautiful 2004 one owner, all service records, 72,000 mile Avalon. I had read reviews which appeared it was a good car and man were they right. It's been growing on me, I love this car. I commute 120 miles round trip a day so now I'm at 124,000 miles and this car still feels like it came off the showroom floor. I sunk about $1500 into it with new Pirelli tires, new front rotors and brakes all the way around, new rear wheel bearing, transmission service and of course the timing belt/water pump maintenance. I'm going for 400k miles. It was well taken care of before me by a little old lady and I will continue to do the same.

In A Class All It's Own

Evan, 03/25/2020
XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bench Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Last summer, My 1999 Camry V6 XLE finally bit the dust at over 250k. It had been a good car and I knew I wanted to stick with Toyota, but also was looking for a model with higher feature content. An Aunt of mine was looking to unload her 2004 Avalon XLS to replace it with the 2020 model. She drove it here and there, and after sixteen years, it had only logged a little over 91k. Looked showroom new and was well cared for over it's life so far. I went ahead and made the purchase and I am so glad I did. This big Toyota is far more robust than the Camry. I've always heard people say that the Avalon is a stretched Camry, which is theoretically true. Stretched Camry platform, similar powertrains. However, the cars seem to share little else in common as far as their overall personas. The Camry was slightly more pedestrian, even in XLE guise. They were nice cars either way, but the Avalon takes everything to an entirely new level. Distinctive and understated elegance is the best way I can describe the exterior. Clean, crisp lines and fine detailing that isn't overdone or obnoxious. It won't turn heads, but it exudes a quiet dignity and a small touch of prestige. I just love the interior. I have a model with the bench seat and column shifter. Very spacious and luxurious interior. The leather used seems of higher quality than might be found in an upper level Camry and there is simulated wood grain trim which adds a nice touch. Automatic climate control, heated seats, memory seats, multi info display as well as touches like the wood grain trimmed steering wheel all add to a feeling of opulence and luxury. More sound deadening materials are obviously used as well. The car is amazingly quiet. I get the usual wind noise at highway speeds, but it seems more hushed. In city driving I can't hear much of anything at all, other than the radio. Gas mileage is about what I would expect for a car of this size. Nothing too spectacular, but not dismal either. Some features take some getting used to if you haven't had them before. VSC (Vehicle stability control) is a great feature that aids braking in panic situations to help avoid an accident. It is welcome here. Due to this car's larger dimensions, there is a little more play in the steering as opposed to the Camry. I once activated it in a turn and a beeping warning comes on to let you know it activated. In panic situations it will also apply full braking power regardless of if the driver takes their foot off the pedal or not. You will feel this sensation of the braking engaging. Was a little unnerving the first time with this car on I-25 in Denver, but I realized that it was a feature of the car and have gotten used to it. I really like this car so far and I'm sure with proper care, it will last forever. Very solid, quality vehicle. It's not too hard to find clean, low mileage Avalon models. They aren't popular with the younger crowd. There are many well cared for examples. If you haven't thought about it or have been curious about these cars, they are definitely worth a look.

Nice, clean car--SHARP!

Delia, 10/04/2019
XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Very smooth ride, A/C works excellently, no noises whatsoever---clean, smooth ride overall.

Avalon 2004

Antonio Gonzales, 09/23/2016
XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Very reliable car

The Japanese Buick

Ron Stephenson, 12/22/2015
XL 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Here is one of the best, most reliable cars on the market. Now 11years old, and no problems whatsoever. Quiet on the road, great mileage for a larger car and smooth handling, good brakes, great heat and cooling. Get in, drive all you want and get out rested. Once in the car, your passengers are impressed with the quality of materials and how quiet it is. Smooth ride, and lots of legroom in back. Could use larger cup holders, but the two will accommodate normal sized cups. I was so impressed with my wife's identical car that I decided to dump my Infinity M-35 and get one for myself. A low-mileage one came up at the Toyota dealer, with new tires on a 42,000 mile example. If you need a somewhat larger car with a decent v-6 engine that gets good gas mileage and great comfort for trips, this is your car.

12345...24