Used 2002 Subaru Outback Wagon Consumer Reviews - 128 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

275000 miles and going strong....
By Jim

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon w/Weather Pkg (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

So, what has failed?... The brake pads wear fairly quickly, probably undersized by design. One of the electric door locks has failed, but works manually. The driverside power seat has failed. The rear quarter panels have rusted through where they meet the plastic bumpers. Everything else works, and that is pretty amazing for the age and mileage. This has been a very dependable car that I am loathe to lose. Uses a slight bit of oil.

Very disappointing
By New England Resident

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased this car for my son in 2015. 110k miles, body rust like you wouldn’t believe. I voted no; son voted yes because he’s a millennial and believes everything that he reads on the web. In this case, social media shows that Subaru is a great car, incredibly reliable, etc etc. He showed me a quote/metric saying that 97% of Subaru’s built since 1997 are still on the road ... so they are bullet proof. And so safe (more on safety later)!! What the quote/metric didn’t say was that they leak oil from the head gasket like no other car, have electrical problems galore, exhaust issues, and many others.

I honestly have no idea how these cars got such a reputation for being great cars. Do people who drive these rat traps know what a ‘great car’ is ??

I spent about $7000 on repairs over 18 months. What a PoS.

Thankfully, my son totaled the car, hence I don’t have to suffer any more repair bills. BTW, it didn’t take much to total it. He hit a curb at about 20 mpg, which destroyed the front end. The insurance adjuster said that type of damage is very common with these cars, and that they aren’t nearly as safe as Subaru likes to say.

Their only saving grace is the AWD system. It really is pretty good. Everything around that ... forget it.

IMHO, if you ‘must’ have a Subaru, lease one. They are relatively cheap, and they are warrantied during the lease period. At the end of the lease period ... give it back.

I

Very Nice Car,.. from Day One
By Iowa Man

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car and was second owner. Car Drives Great on Gravel Roads and hugs the road.. Has All Wheel Drive and its a Perfect Car for Winter Driving both on/ off Road. Heated Seats, Auto, Great Heat n Air Car at 190,000 miles , drives like New. Like all Midwestern and Northern Cars/ trucks.. problem with corrosion around wheel wells. Dash board Check Engine Light is Very Sensative to Gas Cap n little things that make it come on n off, but doesnt affect fun & Strong driving of this Car. Car will Drive over 400,000 miles before dying...

The best car on the road!!
By Judi Epstein

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I love my LL Bean Outback and am sorry to let it go. I've never owned a car as well built and reliable. It's absolutely fantastic!!

The best vehicle I have ever owned.
By Sara

2002 Subaru Outback Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this vehicle in 2012, it was already 10 years old. The previous owner had been great to it, it only had 94,000 miles on it and looked practically new aside from a scrape or two on the bumper. I got it when I did because I needed a reliable vehicle because I was going off to college, and the SUV I had been driving was on it's last legs. I also live in the mountains, and was going to school in the mountains as well, so I needed a vehicle that could handle any weather situation, but also didn't eat gas.

This vehicle was perfect. It's like a hybrid of an SUV and a sedan. It handles like a dream. I've driven it through snow, ice, extreme rain storms, gravel, mud, you name it, the Outback can handle it. Since purchasing, I have put nearly 100,000 miles on this baby and I have yet to have a single mechanical issue with it, aside from the usual tune ups of getting the brakes or tires changed. I practically lived in my vehicle, all except for sleep, for one semester in particular, and I can safely say it is very comfortable. I always feel safe in it. It has a great sound system and fairly good, though not the most powerful, AC. Cup holders are less of an issue in this model then I've seen it be in other Subaru's.

It's true that it isn't the most attractive of cars, but for the vehicle type, it certainly isn't hard on the eyes either. I love this vehicle and would recommend it to anyone who lives in a climate with lots of weather extremes, or for anyone who just loves to explore the world. I will drive this car till it won't drive anymore.