2017 Subaru Legacy Sedan Consumer Reviews - 40 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2017 Subaru Legacy Sedan Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

All Function and Some...Sport
By Chris

2017 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i Sport 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

If you are interested in contributing to your retirement, minimizing cost of ownership, and experiencing a daily driver that is peppy on the curves/mixed weather conditions, this is the sedan for you! I purchased the Legacy "Sport" trim, but not because the package offers anything remotely sporty beyond aesthetics. This trim looks beautiful and the interior two-tone seats have been perfect, both breathable and no staining issues. The car could use an additional 100 horsepower and manual transmission, but is otherwise a joy to drive.

Legacy 3.6R
By Jim C.

2017 Subaru Legacy Sedan 3.6R Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (3.6L 6cyl CVT)

I previously had a 2007 Ford 500 with a V-6. This Legacy 3.6R has more horsepower and very good acceleration. It is a little smaller than my previous car but not that much and it is still very comfortable. This is the first AWD car I've ever driven and it feels very competent. I did get it with most of the bells and whistles. The adaptive cruise control is very good. A couple of things I like very much is (1) When I backup, the sensors start to beep if a car OR pedestrian is nearby which is great if parked next to or between larger vehicles, and (2) While driving, if you're a bit distracted, and a car in front of you starts to slow down and you gain too quickly, the Starlink will start to beep and, if necessary, actually start to apply the brakes...this has already helped a time or two. The leather seats are very comfortable and both the front and back seats have warmers. I did have the rain strips installed on the side windows so I could leave the window open slightly when it rains to help ventilation. Oh, also, when I first purchased the car, it seemed the windows would fog up rather quickly in cold or cool weather. As I have the care washed and/or hand waxed rather frequently, the windows don't fog up nearly as much as before, so the key seems to be to have the car washed and the inside windows cleaned rather frequently to clear a lot of the carbon buildup it gets while it sat on the lot before being purchased.

Love at first sight! Dare to be Different!
By Kek

2017 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

When I first saw my 2017 white Legacy Sport on the Subaru lot, I knew I was going to purchase it. The look of the sport model is fresher than the other Legacy models. After looking at dozens of Camry's and Accord's, I just didn't want to be another person trying to get into someone else's car in a large parking lot because their Accord looked exactly like mine. This Legacy is what you get if you want to be unique, and not just another Camry/Accord driver. The safety features (Eyesight, high beam assist, etc) are excellent for a car in this price range and it's no wonder all the other midsize cars have scrambled to catch up. The complaints I have are that the AUDIO system is horrible. Had I listened closer during my test drive, I would not have purchased the car because I am a music lover and music sounds horrible in the Legacy. There are no settings you can choose to help it other than balance all the sound onto the back speakers. If you're looking at a Legacy and like a nice AUDIO system, be sure to get the upgraded Harmon Kardon system. Also, the heating system seems to take too long to put out heat. I blame the 4 cylinder engine for this lack of heating power. On very cold days, the car seems to accelerate very sluggishly until it gets warmed up. Again another disadvantage I blame on the 4 cylinder engine. Everything else about the Legacy is great. The price, AWD, safety features and roomy interior are all hard to beat.

Girl
By Girl

2017 Subaru Legacy Sedan 3.6R Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (3.6L 6cyl CVT)

To soon to tell, but so for so good

overall good car with poor manufacturer support
By Subaru Sufferer

2017 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

It’s a nice handling car that corners as if on rails. At about a year in I have come to realize most of my concerns are customer support issues, but this model year has a few design shortcomings that supposedly are fixed in the next years car. Car mechanically is performing well, but is noisier than average inside(road noise) and out(clatter). It’s a decent driver at 20k miles. The seat fabric and foam are not aging well for a modern car. The car clatters when it starts, has wind and road noise issues, came with defective foam in rear arm rest, seat, and the cloth is hard to keep clean. Front seat outboard bolsters are not aging well. Replaced all four tires at 5000 miles since they were too worn to just buy one when the car lost a tire due to a stick- it broke a cord in the low budget Goodyears. The dealer has not been especially useful, with me having to diagnose the car and then lead them by the nose to little issues that they don’t really want to fix anyway- things like defective weatherstripping (which just might cause road noise) I brought the seat wear issue to Subaru corporate- they offered no solutions. The dealer charges $120 for a basic service and air filters. My shop charges half for the same service with genuine Subaru parts. The upshot? It’s a nice driver, and an overall good value, but look a new one over VERY carefully before you buy, since the dealer and Subaru might just try to skate out of fixing any flaws or defects.