Used 1995 Subaru Legacy Sedan Consumer Reviews - 24 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Subaru Legacy Sedan Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

Best Damn Automobile I've Ever Owned.
By Harrison

1995 Subaru Legacy Sedan LSi 4dr Sedan AWD

Nothing is perfect in this world but I sure do love the LSi I bought about 10 years ago. I bought it at 88,000 miles as the third owner and from a friend who's father ran the local dealership in 2007, near mint and $3,500 (Yeah.) She sits at 166,625 right now and ran for at least 6 years, regular maintenance included, before requiring a major repair (See: Ball Joints and Front CV Axle, "Major"). As we speak, I am replacing the Head Gaskets, which is something any Subaru owner and mechanic can tell you is common. Honestly, some would even say unnecessary. I recall one mechanic who told me once, "If the Subaru doesn't drip oil, it's not a Subaru or you're out of oil.". But such is the life of an aluminum head automobile. I've driven through snowstorms other AWD vehicles have been trapped in. Taken her off-road for dirt-road camping, road tripped to every state surrounding, Hydroplaned and bumped the driver rear side hard enough to deform the support linkage; Had to replace the wasted tire but she never complained. Only until I replaced the rear disc pads some time later and had her up did I notice. Including the aforementioned linkage, I have since replaced the Wheel Bearings (2 bad, all of them under a "Replace one, replace the other" philosophy). A Front CV Axle, Ball Joints (under the same previous repair philosophy), water pump & timing belt. Otherwise, most every other piece of this car has been OEM, at just under 170,000 miles. Everything listed above, I did myself. Using Harbor Freight tools and a Garage with no power (or a front Lot). Extremely easy to work on and unbelievably forgiving. I will never sell this car. If you find one of these in repairable condition below 250,000 miles. You have found a treasure known only to the select few (Read: Many) who have been lucky enough to own one. Just ask the guy who I bought the car from who, to this day, laments having sold the car (of course, it was not his blood and sweat which kept it running!). Listen, she's not the sportiest and she's not the fastest. She's got 4-cylinders in an aluminum block and the engine has a buzzy hum on acceleration when you put it to the floor. But she's got getup and she's definitely got go when it gets down to it. This car endeared and sold me to the Subaru Brand.

Good Little Car
By Patti

1995 Subaru Legacy Sedan L 4dr Sedan AWD

Bought at 98k miles, sold at 125k. This car had an oil leak when I bought it, a pretty impressive one where the fumes made me nauseous. After I got that fixed (oil pump resealed), and put on new struts and windshield, it was a good little car. In typical Subaru fashion, I could take it anywhere, do anything in winter. It would go through snow up past the bumper like a little submarine, and cling to the road like a booger. This was the only car I've had that, on a blizzardy day, traffic would be going nowhere near fast enough for me, and I'd be that guy over in the snowy lane, driving the speed limit on two or three inches of powder. The reason I sold this car was it seemed like it was developing some weird AWD issues. On turning the wheel to the max, it experienced that AWD hesitation/shimmy, but also occasionally it would do this ultra-weird pronounced lurching. No idea what that was, let the next guy figure it out (yes, I told him).

Subaru Country
By jayb10

1995 Subaru Legacy Sedan LS 4dr Sedan AWD

Bought my 95 LS AWD wagon in 2007 w/ 117K. Needed a cheap car that I could carry liability only due to a DUI. This little beauty was a trade-in that I got off the back lot before it was detailed and pumped through the $$ machine they call the service department. I live in Central Oregon (Bend) home of the oldest Subaru dealer in the West (they say) Lot's of snow and mountains. I now have 189K on this 'temporary' car, 7 years later. Every so often I change the oil. Replaced alternator, battery, starter and a few light bulbs over the years. A bread truck backed into me and I now have a free car after getting a check for the damage that 'gives it character'. I do have a nice ML320, but

Realibilty

cup holder is a laugh.

Deathwagon
By pinkspider

1995 Subaru Legacy Sedan LS 4dr Sedan AWD

I called my Subaru a Deathwagon for a GOOD reason- It could handle ANYTHING I put it through. I drove my ninja to the ground (rarely did repairs & oil) and he still kept going strong. The only thing that stopped him was being T-boned, which bent the frame, and insurance totaled him out.
His body died at 18 years old, but the engine (about 185,000) is going strong in another Subie :)
I drove 40mph in HARSH Utah ice &snow storms. While every other car was pulling over, my Subaru handled every slip and slide with grace. I can't explain what this fantastic vehicle and I went through, as I am a very aggressive driver- car chases, sidewalks, fields, bicyclists, long road trips, barriers, etc.

Never died. It sat for 2 years in a drive way, one day I threw in some new gas and it started right up! Even when it was T-boned and smoking, he kept driving. I'd run into a steel beam and he would keep going. Drove over railroad tiles/barriers and he kept going. Check engine light was on for 2 years straight, he still kept going! I could ALWAYS depend on this car. I'm a female in my 20's, I know nothing of cars and never fix anything on them- we were the best combo!

I'm sure everything is taken care of in the newer Subaru. I will always go after a Subaru when purchasing vehicles again.

Oldie but goodie
By katie2012

1995 Subaru Legacy Sedan LS 4dr Sedan AWD

My boyfriend bought me a 1995 Subaru LS AWD Sedan. I was scared at first because it's an old car (about as old as I am) but it is amazing. It has prooven me wrong! It's great in the winter (especially needed in CNY)!

I have automatic start which is always a plus in the winter, and I love the AWD. Winters where I live can get pretty bad and I know this car won't let me down. It's perfect for a first car!

The ABS light is on, which I read is a problem with these cars. Have to get it looked at!