Used 2009 Subaru Impreza Consumer Reviews - 83 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Subaru Impreza Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

An Ongoing Problem and Subaru Failed to Resolve
By Disappointed Owner

2009 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is for a 2009 Subaru Impreza, 105k miles. Bring to Subaru dealer and told the head gasket is leaked. Did research about the issue, and found that this is an ongoing problem and that the engines are known to consume too much oil between oil changes. Subaru has a class action lawsuit against them for the same problem but not the specific year of vehicle. Had contact Subaru Customer Service few times today but have not reach a resolution with them. This is frustrated because this is a known problem and other people have had the issue resolved but because this vehicle is a different year it does not qualify for compensation or repairs.

I paid too much
By MIA

2009 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Got this in 2012. Def paid too much. After a yr the sound system wasn't as good as it first was. The compass on the rear view mirror went out after a yr, only way to fix it is to replace the whole mirror. The seats are cloth but not terribly comfortable. I have sciatica issues and this car didnt help me. Acceleration is hard at times esp. Uphill. Drives fine. City mpg is 22-24. Hway is 27-30 depending on distance.

1,000 of people with engine failure
By Tom Williams

2009 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car with 27,000 miles. at around 70,000 miles CEL for misfire in cylinder 4. I couldn't diagnose the problem with hours of testing, part swaps, and research. within 5,000 miles engine blew. The camshaft seals walked themselves out of the block and it dumped all it's oil and blew almost instantly. Called SoA and they claimed that their engine did have a problem with this but because I can't prove I ever changed my oil they wouldn't help me. I, like many other people in this world change my own oil. Never thought about saving receipts, but every 5,000 miles I put mobile 1 full synthetic in. Customer support was terrible, and the dealership actually damaged my car when they diagnosed it. I left it with a cracked bumper and got it back with scratches on the driver side doors, and the bumper was ripped off and laying on the ground. I have never been so disgusted with an automotive manufacturer or a dealership. If you have one of these be sure to document oil changes and get a warranty for it or walk away.

Great vehicle but very poor longevity
By Randy Buss

2009 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I reviewed this vehicle when I purchased it brand new and gave it super good ratings in ignorance. Though overall, it is a good vehicle, however, I didn't get longevity from it.

On Friday (7-31-15) my vehicles engine blew without reason. Two weeks prior, I checked the fluids (oil in particular) and all levels were good, but on the way home from work on Friday I suddenly felt and heard loud clanking sounds along with a drop in acceleration power going up a hill on the highway. I was fortunate to be right at a rest area exit when this occurred so as to immediately turn into it, to which I coasted into a parking spot because the engine stalled just as I entered the rest area. When I checked the oil, the dip stick was completely dry. The engine didn't seize up, so I had my wife deliver me more synthetic oil and a new filter. After draining the previous oil out into a pan at the rest stop (which was full of metal flakes/glitter and didn't give me good confidence for a positive outcome), I changed the filter and put new 100% synthetic oil (which I always use) into the engine in the hopes no major damage occurred, but when started it, it was clearly not runnable. When the tow truck arrived, the towing mechanic started it and turned it off immediately and said it sounds like something was ready to fly apart. The next day they informed me the engine is blown and needs to be replaced with a rebuilt or new engine. Estimated cost: $4,500 to $5,000 to replace the blown engine with a rebuilt engine.

What upsets me and disturbs me the most about this is I took meticulous care of the vehicle, as I do with all of our vehicles. Furthermore, when the engine blew (started making horrible loud clanking sounds) no warning lights lit up on the display until the engine stopped running. No low oil pressure lights, no low oil level lights, no check engine lights, nothing! And how is it that it burned through three of the four quarts of the oil withing a two week span.

When this occurred the car only had 120,000 miles on it, and was only 7-8 years old. Granted, I haven't had any issues with it until now, but I also hadn't planned on having to fork out $4000-$5000 for a rebuilt engine, or purchase a new vehicle for at least another 10 years. All of the vehicles I've owned (Pontiac, Mercury, Dodge, Nissan) I've used for at least 15 years each and well into the 250,000 mile range, and I've never had any major problems with them.

With the research I've done since this incident, I've discovered a class action law suite against Subaru for an issue with their engines that strongly resembles what may have happened with my Subaru engine, to which the prosecuting attorneys disclose facts that Subaru has known about the issue, Subaru has neither disclosed information about the engine issue to their customers or done anything to correct the issue. Instead, they continued to sell cars with a serious known issue which could be life threatening under certain circumstances.

Prior to this incident, I planned on making this car last me another 10 years, at which time I would purchase only one more vehicle prior to retiring. My mind was made up it was going to be a Subaru vehicle because I loved it. However, as a result of this incident and the class action law suite against Subaru I've discovered, it pains me to say my confidence in Subaru has completely blown up with my Subaru engine, and I will NEVER purchase another Subaru.

reliable and good-looking
By m9mk10

2009 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Fun car, reliable in bad weather, nice to look at, easy to drive

good MPG