Used 2018 Subaru Forester SUV Consumer Reviews

Used Forester for Sale
Select your model:
12345...22

Pros
Cons

A car with longevity!

Aurelio, 02/04/2018
2.5i Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Investigate options and incentives being offered, so you won’t be over charged. The Subaru Forester is a great automobile, excellent rating for safety, roomy, versatile, and back seats lay flat for large cargo. My last Subaru Forester lasted fifteen years and I just purchased a 2018 Subaru Forester I expect it to last another fifteen years!

Got it in September; got rif of it in December

CBTman, 01/11/2018
2.5i 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I bought the 2018 Forester 2.5i to replace my 2010 Honda CR-V 2WD. Compared to the CR-V, the entry level Forester 2.5i is just that: an entry level car for college students or young people. The 2018 Forester 2.5i has great acceleration when the CVT does not hesitate or when not changing from Reverse to Drive (you might wait several seconds). As per the dealer, the vibration you feel when stopped at a traffic light is caused by the CVT trying to go. The vehicle has great turning radio when the steering mechanism does not start making growling noises during a close U-turn. Its steering is agile on regulars streets, but it has a mind of its own on the highways. Driving the Forester 2018 on the Interstate or Turnpike is an exhausting and stressing experience. The vehicle's steering is too sensitive and the small steering wheel does not help. The vehicle shakes when a car or SUV passes it on the HW and tries to escape away when a truck does so. Changing lanes on uneven asphalt requires maximum concentration or you may end up crossing the whole lane (it did happen to me). Driving with cross wind on the HW proved to be a very unpleasant experience. I think that it is too high and too narrow to be really stable on the HW. The interior is fine for a short drive, but the padding on the seats is not enough for long trips. The central console has a deep box with a lot of capacity, which has a conventional cigarette lighter socket, the auxiliary audio jack, and a USB jack. It also has a tray for coins and other stuff that mostly gets in the way. The cargo area light is too small and is located too low on the right side to be of any help. In fact, Subaru could have saved some money by not including it at all (keep a flashlight handy). The space under the cargo area floor is great and it comes with plenty of room to accommodate your little things, which prevents them from rolling from side to side while driving. The rear gate does not open all the way up, which leaves it exactly at 5 feet 4.5 inches, and I am 6 feet tall (you guessed it). The vehicle comes with two sets of floor covers (cloth and black plastic), which is also great. The Forester 2018 also comes with rails on the roof, but you need to buy the crossbars to complete the roof rack. In general, I was so disappointed with the vehicle that, after less than 3000 miles, I traded it for a Subaru Outback 2018, even if it cost me a hefty $8000 depreciation. Yes, it was that bad, at least for me.

TRANSMISSION NEEDS WORK

GRANDPA, 04/06/2018
2.5i 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Just bot a 2018 Forester with cvt transmission. I no more than got it home and the car would cut out 1-2 seconds or more from a stop or slow movement. Apparently this can be a problem with some cvt transmissions. It is dangerous in close traffic or pulling out into oncoming traffic. Took it back to the dealer who told me it takes a while for the car to get used to my driving habits. I cant buy this. Once the car cuts out it starts back up with a sudden jerk forward. This is unacceptable and am considering envoking the lemon law. Also the spedometer is set back under a cover and is hard to read.

CVT transmisson not smooth

Dick M, 07/30/2018
2.5i Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I originally wanted a manual, which was not available in my area, so I got the CVT automatic. The transmission downshifts when encountering the slightest uphill grade and, like most inexpensive automatics, revs too mush before shifting in some circumstances. The "CVT" is not actually a continuously variable transmission, since it shifts to pre-set ratios, rather than true continuously variable ratios.

fun to drive

Michael, 04/10/2018
2.5i Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Needed an AWD on our hill for the winter, but also needed space for our camping, hiking & biking trips. Lost some space when we sold our minivan for this, but still has plenty of storage. Wish the console was a little bigger-it is deep. Also the console which serves as the elbow rest is short, so really unusuable as an elbow rest if the seat is forward. Very easy to fold down the seats & love the sun/moon roof. Great turning radius but haven't driven it off road yet. Plenty of pickup. Auto climate control is a little tricky to figure out. But overall, felt it is a much better buy & better visibility than a Santa Fe Hyundai, Ford escape, Honda, or chevy equinox. Nissan rogue & even the subaru outback.

12345...22