Used 2004 Subaru Forester Wagon Consumer Reviews

Used Forester for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:
12345...25

Pros
Cons

A niche car, but fits perfectly in it.

speedysteve, 02/08/2012
XT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I've owned my Forester XT for 6 years now, and it has been a very fun car. The only repair I've had is the alternator. It's far faster than it looks and I love being able to floor it on the highway in 5th and it just goes. It looks good, carries a fair amount of stuff when I go camping, and is great in the snow.

2.5X

Deacon Allan J. Frederiksen, 02/19/2015
XS AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This car served me well for 10 years 11 months and 174,000 miles. Reliable from start to "finish". Routine maintenance is a bit expensive. Only mechanical failure was a U joint in drive shaft at 153,000 miles. When timing belt was originally replaced at 82,500 miles also replaced head gaskets. Did not do so when timing belt was replaced at 165,000 miles and at 168,000 miles a very slight oil leakage began (to the tune of 1 quart per 3,000 miles.) Decided to trade in at 174,000 miles. This car went to 28 of our 50 states.

Excellent winter vehicle, though slightly underpowered

ruslan, 12/28/2010
XS AWD 4dr Wagon w/Premium Package (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Generally speaking, it is a great small utility vehicle that that drives like a car. It is an excellent winter vehicle, but it is not best for highway driving. It lacks power for comfortable passing, and down-shift is on the slow side. And, highway wind and road noise are on the noisier side. I took it for a 4000mile/6000km drive from Canada to California. It handled nicely when it was +24C and during winter blizzard when I-15 got closed for hours. I haven't had major problems with the vehicle, except sunroof does no longer work. And, parts and service are a bit expensive, especially in Canada.

Why the XT is on 1 of 5 best Trucks 2004

DeathRatel, 02/13/2004
XT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

When the dealer pulled up w/ a XT I couldn't keep my smile down. I told him all you have to say is: 60 in 5.3!!! This is no simple grocery-getter this is a Mustang, Camaro, and yes Corvetter getter. The "wagon" is the ulimate "Sleeper". The ULTIMATE low-riding, SUV, AWD, MAD-POWER, space-for-all vehicle is at your nearby Subaru dealership. When you go test drive this monster in disguise, try, just try to keep your smile down!!! Happy Cruisin' -Adam

Speak softly, carry a big stick!

Nuvolari, 02/09/2004
XT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is the best vehicle I have ever owned. There is little turbo-lag, the gears are well matched to the engine. It's a comfortable car for something of its modest exterior dimensions and is extremely maneuverable in tight spots despite high cargo volume and practicality. Fit and finish is superior. Every car is a compromise: Subaru has attained perfection. You can buy a slightly faster sports car that is far less practical. You can buy a slightly more comfortable euro wagon that is twice as expensive. You can buy a minivan that's somewhat more practical but completely not fun to drive.

Trade Up

fotd, 02/08/2004
XT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I traded my '03 X for an '04 XT. I loved the X and feel the same about the XT. The icrease in power is just what the doctor ordered. Plenty of power throughout the rev range. Hardly any turbo lag. Good tourqe for driving in the PA mountains. I never thought the fastest car I ever owner would be a wagon! (I know it's an SUV) The 5spd is a great match for the turbo motor. Great saftey features. Great "stealth" vehicle. This is truly a "do-it-all" vehicle. Gripes: The Auto Climate control does not work well. No sunroof with a 5spd, what gives? I wish the rear windows were factory tint. All of theses are minimal complaints. Overall I rate this car a 10.

2004 Subaru Forester "Burt"

brooklynjoel, 05/29/2013
X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Forester X "Burt" used in July 2011 from a Subaru Dealer in Rockland County, NY with 107K miles on it. I now have 120K miles on it. It has proven to be a reliable and surprisingly comfortable vehicle. I average about 18 mpg in the city, and around 28 mpg on the highway. This car is one of the most "honest" cars I've ever owned. It just works without fuss or fanfare, and feels solid. I Have done nothing but oil changes, a differential and tranny fluid change, tire rotations, and inspections for maintenance, and Burt goes like a top! I hope to buy a new 2014 Subaru Forester based on my experience with this one, and I am one of the most "brand unloyal" owners out there!

Solid, Safe & Fun to drive

Dan S., 08/16/2006
XT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is my first Subaru and though I got it used and have only had it for a couple months, I know I made a good decision. The HUGE sunroof is wonderful. Comes with many safety features and this car sticks to the road like glue. I never anticipated it would be so fun to drive, with responsive handling and such a solid road feel. Interior materials look and feel well thought out and well put together - however there aren't many luxurious bells & whistles, just the necessities. If you want fancy features, this isn't the car for you. If you want fun, safety and moderate room for an active lifestyle, you're in the right place. Car is very well thought out, with an eye towards function.

Forester Turbo

Carlos, 10/10/2006
XT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is a very good and balanced combination. It is a real AWD, a wagon, a comfortable car, and a sportive machine. Its low center of gravity allow the Forester to have a very safe driving considering the performance of the turbo. In addition this turbo makes it economical (you do not consume much fuel when you do not need much acceleration or speed, but when you need it or want it you have it).

Solid Car

zak, 11/01/2006
X AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

31,000 miles on my 2004 Subaru. Very happy with performance, reliability. Excellent in snow. Researched every car in the class before purchase and am convinced the Subaru Forester best choice.

12345...25