Used 2004 Subaru Forester Wagon Consumer Reviews

Used Forester for Sale
Select your model:
12345...50

Pros
Cons

Expensive parts, noisy on highway, worst car I ever had.

whatwhatwhat1, 01/15/2013
XT AWD 4dr Wagon w/Premium Leather Package (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

I bought this car used in 2009. In three years, I spend $2400 in repairs (rear bearings on both sides, head gasket, rocker bars in the front that were recalled, air conditioner compressor) and when I traded it in today for a 2012 Camry, the turbo was smoking and the transmission was on it's way out too. It had 140K miles. Parts are hard to come by, none of the charging ports worked on it and the check engine light was always coming on, which turned off the cruise control. in three years, I got to use the cruise control once. It was a nightmare to own. It was almost impossible to talk on speakerphone on the highway due to the road noise. and the backseat doesn't have any legroom.

Near to perfect design

netmate98, 10/12/2010
XT AWD 4dr Wagon w/Premium Leather Package (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

Gas mileage just plain bad, I got the same mileage, 13 mpg, with a 2006 8 cylinder hemi daytona with 360 hp. This has great hp for a 4 cylinder and is very fun wagon to drive. The leather seating is well done. Tilt wheel would raise the comfort level. Better quality front seat back handle control needed. Near perfect interior-exterior design. Window whistle at 45 mph annoying, need window frames. Sacrificing quality for weight savings don't work for me, the aluminum hood takes a beating on the highway. The expensive to fix cd changer radio is a let down.

The Total Package

Chris & Lisa, 09/13/2003
XT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

This past June, my wife and I recently had a baby and we needed a vehicle with space, safety, and reliability being the primary features. Not wanting to relinquish my youthful sports car days I naturally suggested the WRX wagon. She had her eye on the Forester which at the time didnt have the turbo feature. I loved the WRX for being, well a WRX but we could just not compromise the space the Forester had to offer. Enter the Forester XT. This car was actually FASTER (yes faster) then the WRX and had all the space and comfort we needed to go with an all world safety pedigree. The Subaru Forester XT is the complete total package. Congrats Subaru, well done!!

"Type R" Soccer Mom Wagon!

MrLiou168, 12/25/2003
XT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Wow! My second Subaru and more impressed than ever. Since this vehicle is built on the Impreza chassis, it offers less room than the Legacy, but performance that is truly amazing. 0-60 times of 5.25 seconds have been documented which puts the HP number close to 250+! No complaints whatsoever except for relatively poor fuel economy. We've put on 3100 miles in one month since purchase and are averaging about 19-21MPG city/highway. Highly recommended!

04 Forester beats the competition

chruser, 01/14/2004
XS AWD 4dr Wagon w/Premium Package (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

replaced my 1999 Forester with the 04 model. What a delightful surprise to see what has happen in 5 yrs. Better interior design, a little higher seating, more comfort, better handling. Plush. Loved the 99, had 75,000 miles and never a problem. Quality and value you come to expect from Suburu. Test drove toyota rav4, honda crv, hyundai sante fe and jeep liberty, and tryed the Subura LAST. None of the competitors could stand up, and I really tryed not to buy another Suburu because I wanted to see if there was something better in that class--dont waste your time--try the Suburu Forester 1st. NO NEED to go further.

12345...50