Skip to main content

Save as much as $1,265
Select your trim:
12345...15

Pros
Cons
5 out of 5 stars

Traded an HR-V for a Crosstrek

Mike G., 10/02/2020
2021 Subaru Crosstrek Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

The Crosstrek is a better built SUV than the HR-V. Feels solid, quieter and handles 100% better. Awesome AWD best in the market. Best of all Made in Japan, Vin# begins with the letter J. After 6 weeks of owning the 2021 Crosstrek I regret not buying it earlier.

2021 Crosstrek Limited, a really nice car

Terry480, 05/17/2021
updated 11/18/2021
2021 Subaru Crosstrek Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Originally, I was going to get the Premium model. I drove it and liked the cloth seats and the 2.0 engine seemed adequate for my needs. While I waited for the car to arrive from the port, I started looking at the other models online. The Limited model provided so many more features for relatively little more money, that I just had to switch. I now have the 2.5 engine that has quite a bit of power, plus I'm averaging 32.9 MPG combined. I have the 8" touch screen, leather seats and nicer looking 18" wheels, instead of 17". Some people complain about the transmission, but I actually like the CVT transmission. I find it pretty smooth. I chose the grey interior, so that it would lighten up the inside and I'm glad I did. I love the Eyesight and how it can keep the car in the lanes and the cruise control paces very accurately and will even apply the brakes if someone cuts in front of you. All things said, I feel safe in this car and I really like the quality of the car. I had a Forester 10 years ago, but didn't like it, cause it felt too big. This car is small on the outside, but has a lot of room inside. Its really a great size.

4 stars solid - Base CVT

Landon, 09/26/2020
updated 11/16/2022
2021 Subaru Crosstrek 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I like honest reviews that help normal people. I just got a 2021 Crosstrek and plan to keep it for 9 or more years. I will have plenty to say. After my first 100 miles, I LOVE it. It is lacking in power a little, but I don't have any negatives yet. 8.7" of clearance. One of the best AWD systems out there. The CVT is FAR better than my last one in a Corolla. Mines a 2.0 152 HP. Safety features are amazing. Ride is great. I will re-do this review when I get some miles on it. Update: After 18 months from purchase and 6400 miles driven. 1/2 of miles were long 300 mile trips (12 so far) 3600 miles...and 1/2 were around town going 15-35. It rides like a sedan, but can handle 6 inches of snow without issue. Even in 4-6" of snow going 70 on the freeway (not recommended but there were no other cars around) It has a really good "feel" No slippage (or so little I didn't notice) The AWD system makes it feel like no other car I've driven. It feels solid. It's still early in my ownership. I'm accustomed to Toyota. As a company, Subaru is WAY smaller than some others....and you can tell. (although Toyota is slowly buying Subaru, and even share some parts in 2021+ models) It seems to be well made, although my 2021 Subaru Crosstrek is a BASE model with CVT. The switches and buttons for heat and cool seem and look like they haven't changed since the 1990s. I don't mind this and actually wanted a simple system. Works great. Looks fine. I knew all this before buying except about the color LCD on the upper screen. Missed that one. I also was told by the dealer I could turn off the auto start / stop system. It's terrible! Every stop sign your car quits only to immediatelly start. Turns out you can disable that, but it resets every time you turn the car off, so it's become habit to push a button quickly right after starting. That disables the auto start / stop feature. It's a gimmick to get better gas mileage numbers from the NTSB or EPA some other bothersome government BS.. I even have a real "KEY" Not a fob. That's rare in 2021 cars for sure. It's no bother. exactly what I've done since I learned to drive in the early 80s. One more thing about interior storage. There is not even nearly enough. The cavity below radio and buttons for climate is WAY to small. then you have center cupholders and ones in the door. But you do have a lot of room in back, just not the seats. Passengers don't even have cupholders in back. Not good for some. Lot's of room in the back. I've hauled bikes, boards, and all kinds of stuff. No problem. Seats fold down and a smaller person could sleep in it easily. I'm 6'2" and could sleep in it, but it might not be the most comfortable. One reason I wish I had looked at the step above the Base to the Premium closer....I still would have gone with the Base. It's what I wanted. The Premium package comes with a few things I would use. #1 being a color LCD for the screen in the upper-middle. I have the base 6.5" color touch screen. The BASE comes with a B&W upper screen with less options.In upper trims (All other trims I believe) it's a color screen with a few more options for personalizing. #2 is heated seats. These are a couple of other things the Premium had that I really don't care about, but you might. Do some research before buying. Don't trust sales people. I still give the 2021 Subaru Crosstrek Base 4 stars. It's a #1 for value. I got mine in 2020 before the major upheaval in the car market. Glad I missed that, and now my Crosstrek is worth $5000 more than I paid. I hope great resale values follow the Crosstrek. I have had great value from the 4 Toyotas I've purchased. I hope Subaru is even close to the unbelievable resale I got for my Tacomas and even a Corolla. I have had no issues, just good times so far in the Crosstrek. I recommend it highly after 18 months. Lets see what happens after 4-5 years. Almost nobody has anything bad to say about the Crosstrek except it's underpowered. I drove a 2.5L in a Crosstrek as 2021 was the 1st year you could get a 2.5L vs 2.0L. (For almost $4000) I saw no upside in getting the larger engine for one person and rising gas prices and inflation. I've never had problem with too little power. I will continue to let you know my experiences with the 2021 Subaru Crosstrek Base. Basically the same info as any other trim, just remember they have heated seats, and some other useful and more useless stuff vs BASE models. June 2 2022 - 6500 miles I am a lifetime Toyota owner. My only new cars purchased have been 2 Tacomas and 1 Corolla. Now I add Subaru to that list. I’ve got 6500 miles on my ‘21 Crosstrek Base. I can’t complain about much. I was aware of most of the downsides when I got it. The build quality (if you’re a perfectionist) is not quite up to Toyota or Honda standards but it’s still good. I’ve had no issues with any major system. There have been times when my phone wouldn’t pair with CarPlay or Bluetooth. I went to the dealer once and they said it’s common and disconnected the + terminal on the battery and grounded it saying that resets something. That was a year ago and it hasn’t happened again. I’ve also had the eyesight be disabled in heavy snow and sleet. Only two times…it comes back on as soon as the cameras can see out of the glass. Not a big deal. I’m a perfectionist and have noted a few places where the design and build could be better. That said, it’s still good. I never thought that when I owned my Toyota vehicles. I have taken it off-road a few times and as long as you don’t push it , you’ll be fine in most spots. I can’t compare the off road capabilities with a Tacoma, it’s not fair. The Subaru 4WD system seems great. (Until you have to buy tires) Has a very “solid”or “ground hugging” feel. Handles well in ice and snow. I’ve been caught in 3-4 storms that being in a car without 4WD would have been hard. The Crosstrek handles it like a pro! Sound system IS one place where I can complain. It works, but is terrible. Most people won’t care but I’m a musician and audio nut. Need to upgrade sound if that’s something you need. I also only have one USB to charge and use phone with CarPlay. It should have 2 or more. I am always alone so it hasn’t been an issue. One step up in trim gives you 2 USB and another sound connection. November 15 2022 update. The ‘21 Crosstrek Base CVT has been excellent so far. I mentioned some of my experiences. I will keep my review going as long as they let me. I have been driving very little and noticed the battery (special one for auto stop/start) has been struggling in the low (teens Fahrenheit) It actually helps to turn off climate control system when starting. I only have 8160 miles on the vehicle. It’s not burning oil or leaking. I have had no problems at all yet. I understand a new battery is soon going to be necessary. At only 2 years old that seems unreasonable. I hope Subaru will replace it if it fails in the warranty. I’ll let you know if they don’t. I had 1 warranty issue Subaru denied until I brought some pressure on them. Toyota would have just taken care of me and been done with it. Comparing Toyota to Subaru is like apples to oranges. I DO wish I had a ‘21 RAV-4 base purchased new in 2020 but I saved almost $10,000. I think it will be worth it in the end. The ‘21 Crosstrek is a pleasure to drive. Next update in a few thousand miles.

3 out of 5 stars
3 out of 5 stars

Excellent Value & Best AWD System

Monty Fowler, 12/11/2020
2021 Subaru Crosstrek Sport 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

We've had our 2021 Subaru Crosstrek Sport for a week now. What a great little crossover! Comfortable, spunky, very capable off-road, tons of cargo space with the back seats folded down, great tech, and compelling styling combine to make a tremendous value. I got $2,800 off the sticker price and 1.9% APR financing. No brainer purchase. My wife loves it and it will be her daily driver. Looking forward to taking it on road trips. If you are looking for a small crossover with solid road manners and the ability to handle some light to moderate off-road work, then be sure to add this one to your test-drive list.

2021 Crosstrek

2021 Crosstrek Limited, 11/19/2020
updated 11/22/2021
2021 Subaru Crosstrek Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

We purchased a loaded limited model and absolutely love it. The new 182hp engine vs other vehicles in its class has a lot of get up and go. The safety features and quality are top notch. It also gets great gas mileage around 29mpg combined. We have now owned for a year with 18,000 miles. Still enjoy driving and have had no issues

12345...15