Skip to main content

4.63 out of 5 stars

seasoned porsche owner

LB Zayszly, 06/05/2008
Porsche Boxster S 2dr Convertible (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

I own a 1990 944 S2 convertible, and when I first saw the Boxster, I knew I had to have one. I also have the best Porsche mechanic in the business. I don't see him very often, because of the reliability of these cars. Personally, I don't want to ever drive another type of vehicle.The name Porsche speaks volumes and their reputation is unsurpassed. You have to know how to drive to appreciate these cars.

5 out of 5 stars

I want to be buried in it when that time comes

A Driving Enthusiast, 03/19/2020
Porsche Boxster S 2dr Convertible (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

Anyone considering a used sports car should absolutely consider a Porsche Boxster S. I just found a first generation example with about 70k miles on the odometer that had already had the clutch, breaks, and IMS bearing done. This car is transcendent on multiple levels. First, it is a true drivers’ car. Nimble, quick, precise, powerful, and small, it offers terrific, fluid feedback and exhibits a solid, analog feel without ever feeling heavy or stiff. Wonderful to drive fast, it is also a pleasure to drive slowly – it just feels great. On another level it is so well engineered that simply operating it gives me joy: the way the trunk latches with a soft ‘click’, the quality of the build and thoughtful engineering everywhere I look, the ‘thunk’ of the door, the lovely way the shifter engages each gear with a firm but precise ‘snick-snick’, the simplicity of the gauge cluster, steering that makes it seem like your hands are connected to the road, buttons that even after 18 years have no free play. I have owned three 3-series BMWs, a late model Subaru WRX, and tracked a GT-R Nismo. Each is turbocharged, which is great as long as you keep the turbo all spooled up but crappy when you aren’t paying attention and a V6 Accord Coupe blows your doors off. All the others have pretty numb steering, the BMWs – two were even Msports – seemed heavy, dull, and bloated, luxurious though they were, the WRX seemed like it wanted to be a Porsche but was about $30 grand short, and the GT-R would have been great on a long track, where it could made good use of all that high-rev power, but on a short track was just getting fun when I would hit another corner. The Boxster’s naturally-aspirated flat 6 makes a splendid sound – a present but not overbearing burble when driven nicely, e.g. from idle through about 3.5k, and a raucous but not harsh howl as the revs climb to redline – and has torque everywhere – I rarely feel like I need to downshift to pick it up. And, while I wouldn’t characterize the Boxster S as luxurious – what it does it does minimally, precisely, and well – the connection it makes between me, the driver, and our shared commitment, the road, is unrivaled in anything I have yet driven. I might tire of driving it daily in stop-and-go on the I-405 in L.A., but good lord am I glad I have it for my grocery getting on the weekends.

3 out of 5 stars
4 out of 5 stars
3 out of 5 stars
4 out of 5 stars
4.75 out of 5 stars

It's a porsche - enough said.

dan, 11/20/2008
Porsche Boxster S 2dr Convertible (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

This is the best car I have owned to date. It's fun, sporty, handles well and holds its own against any other car out there. You cannot beat the style and I still get strangers coming up to talk about it. I don't buy the "poor man's" Porsche. It has the same interior and front of the 911 - less power, but I'll put the difference in money I saved in the bank and have just as much fun! Regular service calls are a little expensive, but only needs to be done every 18 months. Great car for the $.

4.5 out of 5 stars

So much fun...

nola mike, 07/21/2007
Porsche Boxster S 2dr Convertible (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

Bought the car with 40k miles. Had been looking at a few other cars, Honda S2000 was close, and on paper seems better for the $$ (xenon, glass rear, reliability, great shifter), but I couldn't get myself to like it more. I was a little worried because this model didn't have PSM (stability control), but the handling is so good, and so neutral, that I haven't had a problem. You can kick the rear out with ease, but it's very easy to control. People have lots of complaints about the interior, but I'm not sure why.

A Blast!

Greg, 05/15/2008
Porsche Boxster S 2dr Convertible (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

I bought my red Boxster w/55k miles for weekend fun. The problem is I can't keep my hands off of it. I find myself looking for excuses to run an errand just so I can take it out for a spin. The most fun car I have ever owned. Handling, engine note, brakes, styling are all incredible.

12345...6