Used 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used Grand Prix for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

I might get another!

packisgreat, 10/31/2014

I've had 2002 GT Cpe since 2005 and at 125K it's going strong. Only larger repair has been a wheel bearing. It gets up to 30MPG-which was a 2200 mile trip at about 83 MPH in Mn and ND when it was at abt 110K. Uses no oil. Only irritating thing is the water leaking into tail lights. I'm looking to get a 2001 for my son.

It gave me it's all

Alan T, 07/04/2018
SE 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I got my 2002 Grand Prix three years ago. It had about 130,000 miles on it then, 170,000 miles on it now. A handsome looking car with the most interior room of any car I've ever had. Handled great, very smooth ride. As cars age things invariably have to be replaced and I've decided to just sell the car and let someone else replace them. It never got great gas mileage due to the six cyl engine and the overall weight of the car. I never took it on any great road trips---a 650 mile round trip was the longest I ever took with it. But it's solid for in-town driving. Given it's now 2018, the 2002 Grand Prix is ageing gracefully and if you get one you have to treat it kindly. It is too bad that Pontiacs aren't made anymore. The Pontiac Grand Prix was/is a solid car. I think the last car my grandfather owned was a Grand Prix, now that I think of it.

Great machine for an older car

jazbo01, 01/01/2012

Bought this car to drive to work, at first i felt i paid too much but after putting 20k on it and having NO issues.. and no rust, it was a great deal! Good fuel economy, good power-no fears when passing. Big, heavy, solid car..the way I like em! Has 140K on it and it runs, and drives like new, rides great and with snow tires will go where my truck will! Very glad I bought a Grand Prix, would do it all over again! you cant beat the 3.8 for power and reliability. if you are considering buying an inexpendsive used car definately look at a grand prix you wont regret it!

Great car, very reliable

deabomb, 09/08/2014

I have a 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix SE that I bought in February 2003 with 24000 miles on it. Almost 12 years later with just under 110,000 miles on it, she is still going strong. The only major problem I had with it in 2008 was the known issue of the intake manifold gasket leaking and blowing coolant out. It cost me $700 to fix the damage. Other than that snafu, it hasn't given me any trouble. I love this car. Hubby wants me to trade it in for something newer with more bells and whistles, but I can't part with it. It has been a solid, reliable car for me and I hope I can get another 100,000 miles out of it.

Most bang for the buck

F. Pusl, 04/21/2002

Pontiac Excitement is just a buzzword until one gets to own and drive a Pontiac Grand Prix. I bought a 1998 GT for its distinctive and muscular styling. I was immediately surprised with its performance, which led mo to trade in on a 2001 GTP. This car's performance is simply awesome. The horsepower is definitely under rated. I took it to the west coast and loved the smoothness, comfort, handling and power, especially in the mountains, getting an average of 28 miles per gallon. Talk about reliability, in four years of driving the Grand Prix's I never had to take either car back to the dealer. for repair or adjustment.

Reliable, but has quirks

Big Jim, 11/30/2015
GTP 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

Has some electronics and electrical issues. Engine and transmission are solid. Got for about $5k several years ago. Hasn't missed a beat. Update 12-2019: Other than the plastic sport panels coming off it is 100 percent! Update 6/2020 still have it, runs good and not destroyed by routers!

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GT

sendog2013, 04/03/2013

I was pretty lucky when my fiancée discovered my car on Kijiji! A private dealer had gotten my ride from a dealership where it has been traded in for a new car. The last owners basically used the car to drive to the store and church when it wasn't garaged most of its life! With only 114,000 kms and mint inside and very good outside it was pretty much brand new! Anyway, on to my review! A blast to drive, fast and handles awesome! I use it mostly for the highway as I'm traveling between provinces for work and moving. Glides perfectly at high speeds and before you know it you're doing 140 without watching your speed.

Love This Car! 238K and Still Going Strong!

Ben Morris, 12/25/2015
SE 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car with 137,000 miles on it six years ago. According to the previous owner the transmission was replaced at 130,000 miles. I have had very little trouble with this car, the only real repair it has needed was that the rocker panels needed to be replaced. This is a great looking vehichle with classic great looking Pontiac lines. My least favorite part of this car was the low quality of the interior, which I feel that I could easily tear apart. The performance of this car has been outstanding though. Though the 3.1L isn't as fast as the 3.8L, it is much less prone to blowing head gaskets and mine has gotten to 238K miles and I still haven't had an issue. I get great gas mileage(19 City, 32 Highway), and the wide body design makes steering feel controlled, as I once was able to evade a moose going 60 in a 55! Overall I love this car and I would recommend it to anyone.

Very lucky to come across this car

Winomie Wilson, 02/12/2016
SE 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Back when I bought it 8 yrs ago it was perfect for 3 kids. So many road trips, daily driving and at times it being our only vehicle I never had to worry about being left stranded. 190 K and no major repairs. Water pump, abs system, radiator cleaned and fuel pump. In 8 yrs that is great. Transmission and engine are still strong and the gas mileage is great. Interior has some flaws but not too bad and it has had issues with holding water after extremely wet seasons but believe that was a previous owner /mechanic issue by removing seals. Bought a new vehicle due to family growth and needs but still have this as our just in case vehicle and will be passed on to the kids.

Mixed Emotions

MarkNY, 04/18/2002

This car is very fun the drive, very responsize handling. I've had horrible problems with premature tire wear. I've had to get is aligned 3 times since my purchase. I've gone through 2 sets of tires, and only have 13K miles in it. The dealer told me I am beating the car, but I drive like I'm the grand marshall of a parade. Most of the car is built really well. But in the truck, they placed this little flimsy plug for the light right in the way of the trunk space. Whenever placing large items in the trunk, I crack it off. It sticks out like a sort thumb. The engineer who designed that needs to be fired, and gives quality engineers a bad name.

Love it

Ryan, 11/10/2008

Have had this car for almost a year now. Only problem I've had with it is the manifold gasket, other than that it is an excellent daily driver very reasonable on gas yet still has enough power to have a little fun. I love the simplicity of the interior design (I have the charcoal gray int.)

What was I thinking???!!!

R3800, 05/04/2002

My girlfriend bought a Red 2000 Grand Prix SE with the 3800 and loved it... I liked how it looked, but I didnt think much of it until I drove it. Man was I a goner. 15 minutes later, I was picked up for "Qualifying" (he aparently had a problem with me passing 5 semi's at once on a divided highway, oops.) I loved her car so much that I bought myself one. I'm not one to be out done, but I'm willing to be in the dog house over this car. I'm the proud owner of a Black 2000 Grand Prix GT with all the toys. Now, I have to keep her from taking mine.

Great Ride!

Two Face, 01/09/2009

I love this car! I bought it as a program car, and I have loved it ever since. I have only had one problem that was covered by the warranty. I bought it at 17K miles and I now have 107K and it still has the same get-up-and-go. It has plenty of room for me and my family, and good trunk space. This is as about as good as you can get for your money.

Great car, lacks options.

Todd J., 05/29/2002

As a 26 year old male, this car is a perfect fit. I bought a 2002 GT for the great looks, great power, Great space, and fantastic cornering. However, even at the high end options there are options missing that I would like to see (see below) I will definately buy another Grand Prix in the future, the new body looks interesting...

Awsome Car

capinshane25, 06/05/2010

I got this car for my 18th birthday. It has the looks of a speedster and the engine of one too. Never had anything wrong with it at 150,000 miles. If your a tuner this is the car for you I put flowmaster pipes and two turbochargers on it along with racing tires and 93 gas. it had way enough power before (205 hp)but now it will roll with any mustang or challenger on the road I had it dynoed at 481 hp All in all GREAT CAR good work GM. I hope the Pontiac name plate returns in the future.

It has been good to me

Amy, 07/01/2010

I purchased my grand prix in 2002. The previous owner only had it for a 6 months and couldn't keep up with the payments so she turned it back in to the dealer. I bought it with close to 15,000 miles on it (I have no idea where this woman drove it to). Anyways, I'm now at 194,000 miles. It was great up until two years ago when the transmission died on it. I was very meticulous with repairs on my vehicle, which were all normal wear and tear. Since the transmission, it's had other major problems that have been costly. Great car, but I am trading it now for a more reliable vehicle for my family. Overall it's been good to me.

40th Anniversary GP

vga0952, 10/17/2002

I traded in a 1997 Grand Prix that had some basic faults which I feared might still exist with the 2002 model but it appears Pontiac got all the bugs out for it's 40th year of production. I went with $2695 40th Anniversary Special Edition Package Option. In that 2002 is the last production year for a two door along with the Special Edition package my hope is that my coupe's resale value will be better than the standard GT model. Being performance minded, I do wish I had gone with GTP with supercharger although that would bump the sticker price to $30,000 which is too much. To date, with 8000 miles, my customer satisfaction level is nearly 100%.

200k and going strong

jazbo01, 03/31/2014
GT 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Update to a review a few years ago..my GP now was 200,000 on it, no visible rust we have owned it for the past 100,000 miles and the only work done to it has been maintenance NO issues-ever starts and runs whether its 100* or -40*. I drove this car back and forth for training 800 miles a week in -20 to -40 degree winter and the car avg 28.3mpg over the 6 week time frame..unreal! I have no plans on selling this car until it rots out and then ill buy another one. Great car! Update-214k miles engine gave up at wide open throttle..it was my fault (abuse). Replaced engine, transmission and all accessories on engine. Back on the road running great broke 225k last week. Still no major rust. Update- 230k still going.

02 Grand Prix

Testerman, 12/23/2004

This has been the best car I have ever owned. Only problem has been with the front wheel bearings. Both have gone out and it isn't a cheap repair. Engine is exceptional for the performance you get and the fuel economy you achieve. It has also run flawlessly for over 60,000 miles.

Fun vehicle

mike s, 08/20/2005

Have enjoyed this car from day one. As a automotive mechanics instructor I know cars and this is a good one. This thing has give me one problem wheel bearings the left bearing got loose at 45000 well out of warranty but Franks Pontiac in Lyndhurst,NJ repaired it at no charge even though I could have fixed it myself. The handling is great for a decent sized car as are the brakes. The engine is GM's bulletproof 3.8 Normally aspirated V-6. I replaced the tires with BF Goodrich Traction T/a's at 39K the thing handles like a sports car great in rain/snow and NJ's horrendous roads. Still looks good and runs great after 75000 miles. I plan to buy another in a short time.

BEST OF THE GM LOT !! 2001 GP GT

warren loewe, 09/02/2002

HAD TO BUY GM BECAUSE OF CREDIT CARD REBATE. I FELT THE PONTIAC GRAND PRIX GT WAS THE BEST GM HAD TO OFFER. I HAD A MAXIMA BEFORE THIS CAR , IT WAS LIKE NIGHT & DAY. THE MAXIMA WAS SUPERIOR IN EVERY WAY. BUT COMPARED TO OLDS, CHEVY,BUICK (WHICH SHOULD HAVE BEEN DROPPED) & CADILAC (WAY OVERPRICED) THIS CAR KEPT ME HAPPY FOR 18 MONTHS. I JUST PURCHASED A 03 TOYOTA AVALON XLS. GOOD BUY TO GM FOREVER.

Car named after me

Gary Hostetler, 10/20/2016
GTP 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

2002 grand prix with many issues

Margaret Paoli, 05/30/2008

Car has been in the shop more than any car I have owned since purchased new. Window problems, loose dash, intake gaskets replaced several times, wheel bearing bad at 34,000 miles, catalytic converter replaced, heater has never worked and Gay Pontiac service center never fixed when reported 10+ times in there service shop for all other listed issues, leather seats coming apart, loose door panels (possibly from all the window repairs). This is my second grand prix and 8th and LAST GM vehicle as I will be getting a Toyota on my next purchase and don't even want to start on the customer service or lack of when calling what was GMACFS now India handles and Pontiac division customer service.

Most uncomfortable car (seats) ever made

betsy, 08/08/2002

Bought 02 GP several months ago -am still trying to sell, but no one will give me close to what orginally paid. The most uncomfortable seats ever! At 5'4", average ht for women, I can't reach the gas pedal (located 6" farther back than the brake). This is a terrible design flaw as my foot slips off the gas often. When pushed forward, the seat goes "up", making my head touch the sunroof/visor. Also, seat belt cuts off circulation to my legs & I constantly tug at it (I'm quite thin too. The car has a few good points, but comfort and ride are terrible, plus insurance costs are outrageous for a 4-door sedan.

First Car

jdaily01, 11/15/2011

Bought a 2002 pontiac grand prix se for my first car only 6months ago. When I got it, it had 122000miles on it, which though high isn't too high. Since buying this car, I've had 3 windows crap out on me, only fixing the driver side one. It cost about $350 at a dealership to get the window fixed, luckily I found a local mechanic to do it for a lot cheaper. Though now the ignition won't recognize the car as being in park, therefore not releasing the key. Problems just keep adding up, I am able to bypass the the ignition to release the key but I cannot recommend this car. There are multiple reviews online showing that I am not alone, pontiac uses cheap parts making problems more probable.

Don't Like it

Wade Buchanan, 03/04/2002

It may be supercharged but it still didn't do it for me. I test drove one and I would rather have a supercharged Mustang or Camaro. Just my opinion though.

Gas mileage

tbrenz93, 09/10/2012

I currently own a 2002 grand prix with 161,100 miles on it and for some reason it goes through $15 of gas in a few miles. I wouldnt recommend driving it to 160,000 miles, its a junker now.

the truth about this care

Austin Boles, 08/21/2015
GTP 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

do not get this car take it from me I have one it is terrible

Sportiest 4-door around!

Matty K., 04/19/2002

i'm 17 years old and my parents just bought a 2002 Grand Prix GT...let me tell you, i never thought a 4-door car could be sporty but boy was i wrong...its got power, aggressive looks, and its so much fun to drive!! sticks to the road like glue and acccelerates very quickly, in 2 years i'll pressure them into buying the GTP ;)

Ex GM customer

Done with Pontiac , 04/03/2009

I will never purchase a gm product again. I bought this car new, paid 25k for it and have nothing but problems as soon as the warranty was up. I had the catalytic converter replaced twice, passanger window work only sometines, windshield wipers stop working in down pours. Also replaced numerous sensors adding up to at least $1500 Had the intake manifold gasket replaced $500 with a class action suite only got $100 back. Now I have to replace the oil pan gasket,it will cost $350. Not to mention the gas milage is nothing close to what they said it would be. I was told the transmission will be next. I can not afford a new car now, but as soon as I can this car will be history.

Good looks and comfort - Bad Tranny

hamlir, 11/06/2006

The car looks great and feels great to sit in. It was well made for comfort. The Tranny totally blew up with 129k on it. Reg service was done and even serviced the tranny at 50k & 100k. The think is nothing more than yard art since it wont move.

Great Car

pjblack92, 03/06/2002

Don't have the time to elaborate, but I am thoroughly satified with my new gp.

Constant HEADACHE

Chandler, 07/07/2017
GT 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

If you're looking to get yourself a cheaper car or you're buying this for your child, DO NOT. This car is always having something wrong with it every other month. Not reliable at all. The good reviews on here are lying to themselves. Would NOT reccomend!!

Great Mpg's, a lot of leg room and powerful!

k_relyt, 07/09/2012

I have driven this car for 80,000+ miles and I know what I am talking about when I say this is a great car! I bought the car with 70,000 and now its at 150+ and I have only had to replace minor bits and pieces that come along with driving a car that much. Brake pads, wheel bearings and a battery once. You don't have to buy a 4 cylinder civic to get good milage. This can get 33 tops on hwy and 21 in the city. I avg. 28 driving through mnt. ranges on cruise. For a 2dr the back seat is spacious for leg room and comfy. I can fit my snowboards and wakeboard in my trunk no problem as well as move all my belongings in the thing. It's sharp with the 17" chrome rims and can give you amazing v6power.

Still love this car

chris, 07/26/2008

Have owned this car for 6 years now. It's still a great ride. Have had some minor issues. Fan switch for A/C & heat broke. Had to install new resistor $200. Windshield fluid motor burned out. Another $200. Brakes were garbage at 35k. Besides that, just the basics. It's a great car. Need to get an SUV for my family. I own 3 cars, but this is the last 1 I'd trade in. It has lots of power, when you need it. Plan on enjoying it for years to come.

Please don't buy one

Redeye, 08/10/2008

I wish I'd never heard of Pontiac. My wife had a grand am - kept blowing head gaskets My son has a grand prix, same thing plus a loud knock, engine replaced Hard to keep pontiacs running. Company probably won't be running much longer.

Bad car

bigdogdriver, 08/25/2008

Bought car for daughter, worst mistake ever. Only 92,000 miles on it and I have replaced the air cond. Unit, alternator and right side head gasket. This car will nickel and dime you to death.

Great Car

BobMc, 04/22/2002

This is a fun car to drive. Great power, speed and handling. It's a very good value as well. I think the car surprises people with its power.

Very good car

Rob9512, 09/11/2008

Overall this car is just great. Car has great performance for this type of car, very good gas mileage for the hp, and has plenty of room. The cars do have some common problems like leaking intake gaskets, failing window switches, and blower motor resistor failures but it's just general repairs. The drivetrain is overall extremely reliable and it is very common for these to hit 200k+ miles. The overall performance, style, gas mileage, features, reliability, and practicality make its pros far out weigh its cons. People who post on here about reliability issues with the motors in these cars are insane. Most of what people list are general maintenance. The 3800 is a very proven motor

gtp for me

joe snapper, 04/24/2002

overall a fine car with great exterior styling and features per dollar.

Great MPG and Performance

FuelMiser, 10/20/2008

When I see ads for a 4 cylinder Hondas that gets 30 mpg highway, I have to laugh as I'm having so much more fun in my GTP. This car is not only a sleeper, it gets gas mileage in the range of Japanese cars but it has 280 pounds of torque to play with. True, the interior plastic parts could have been better, but the mechanical failures of my brother's Accord make me glad I bought a Pontiac. The GTP is well-known for long-term reliability and most of the negative posts you see here are not representative of the total population. I had a GM 3.8 liter with 250,000 miles and not a single mechanical issue. Don't doubt Pontiac's build quality or engineering, these cars are a steal @ <$10K!

A car that it just feels right to drive

Pollus, 05/03/2002

So far I've had an excellent experience with my GT, it performs just as I need it to, its stylish, its comfortable for the 6' and taller crowd, and its fun to drive. It also drives wonderfully, I got up to 105 mph and didn't realize it, I couldn't even feel a difference. I've only have a few minor problems with my car, in that the driver side window doesn't like to work in really cold weather until the car has warmed up a bit, the trunk light has a tendency to get knocked off when you load larger items into the trunk, and the cup holders are not idealy located because they get in the way of the gear shifter.

40th Anniversary GT

Shawn3778, 05/12/2002

About 1800 miles and no complaints. We love this car. The 40th anniversary package really turns heads. I added a gold pinstipe and tinted the windows. It is sweet. Handles and rides great. Pleanty of room I am 6'4" and have no problem with the interior. Back seats are a little low head room wise. FUN FUN FUN FUN. Buy one if you can find it.

Looks Better Than It Runs

The Fastest lemon, 01/03/2009

I've had my 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GT Sedan for three and a half years. My Dad handed it down to me after he lost use of his right leg to cancer and I hit a deer with my '93 S-10. For the first three years I've had it, it gave me no problems and I like the way it looks, especially in black, sleek and sinister, the fog lamps, spoilers, and dual exhausts don't hurt either. It was pretty fast and fuel efficient, but it turned into a piece of crap once it had 115,000 miles on it. The windshield wipers stick up when they're turned off, the tail-break lights don't work, you could time it's acceleration to highway speed with a calendar, the windows don't work, and it guzzles gas like a V8.

Not Made to Last

Grand Prix GT, 03/06/2009

Bought the 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GT which was the third pontiac that I purchased since 1998. The 2002 Grand Prix was a trade in. The Lower Intake Gasket went out on it at 15000. It went out again at 30000 and again at 115000. The car brakes tend to wear prematurely averaging 30K on brakes and rotors. The AC/Heat Knobs tend to break prematurely. The tires goodyear 225/60R16 last about 30K per set. I've had to replace speed sensors, the fuel line rail, the rear suspension, and wheel nut caps that crack easily upon removal.

DRIVE EXCITEMENT!!!

REMTAZ, 05/19/2002

GREAT EXPERIENCE! NO PROBLEMS. VERY FUN TO DRIVE.

Disappointed Lemon

Roger V, 03/10/2009

I was very excited when I bougth this car used. I got the exted=nded warranty on it thank God. Every 6 months a mojor repair. Head gasket, transmission selenoid, intake gaskets, brakes etc. I used to love this car but each year it gets worse and worse.

Speed is the word

LV2XLR8, 05/24/2002

I have put 30K on this car in the last 18 months. I drive from LA to San Diego at a typical 85MPH and the ride is great. I have raced others in this class and have yet to be run down. Took out a beamer 330 today from a stop light without breaking 6000RPM! Put aside a little nest egg to pay for the speeding tickets (got mine doing 71 in a 45). Just can't seem to help form pushing that little peddle down... For an additional 1500 get the GTP.

lovin the ride

ibike, 05/23/2002

i took a chance on this car as opposed to the camaro. glad i did. with 200HP and 225 FPT you really can't go wrong. i have run a few times against mustang, BMW, Benz, acura.... beat em all with a stock domestic! the only thing i would have done differently would be to opt for the GTP. once you drive one you will wish you could add a supercharger!

Nice car

jbjq, 01/20/2008

I bought my 2002 Grand Prix off eBay in 2004 after my 1999 Grand Prix was totaled. It had about 32,000 miles on it. All was well until 2007 when I spent $3500 in maintenance including $2300 for a new transmission. So maintenance is getting expensive. I have 68,000 miles on it now. But since I paid $11,000 for it I still feel like this vehicle is a good value.

51050