Used 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix Consumer Reviews - 144 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Prix model:

Was a true champion, God bless our little Pontiac!
By Patrick

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 2dr Coupe

My mother purchased a white 2000 Grand Prix GT Coupe with 22,358 miles back in 2001. She needed a good car to get back and forth from her 2 jobs. M dad left before I was born and never paid a dime. They couldn't even find him to make him pay child support etc...Long story short, she got this Pontiac. I still remember the day. I was 10 or 11. This car always got her to work, me to school and all my sports events, any random emergency, and even the joyrides I used to take without permission in my early teen years. It never broke down. Not once. Not once in 17/18 years. It did need sway bars and a new headlight cover but only basic maintenance was ever needed. Last Monday my mother was on her way to work when she slide on black ice and tried to turn away from the car at the red light ahead. Swiped the front end bouncing off the car into a snowbank. The snowbank did the majority of the damage. She was okay which is another great testament to this vehicle! It needed towed out of the snowbank yet still drove but insurance deemed it totaled. I still wanted to pay to keep it and fix it but it would have been a huge strain on me financially. We planned on having forever. I would have loved to have it when I'm an old man and been like this was my mothers car. The accident happened with the car having only 124,500 miles, Easily had another 100,000 left. Today I went to get the license plates off at the tow lot. Very sad day for us. It was the car of my youth. It went through everything with us and never let us down. If this car was good enough for a single mother to raise a boy in the Midwest with, it is good enough for anybody. Forever, it will be my favorite car. God bless our little Pontiac!

One of the Best Cars I've Owned
By Brian B

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 2dr Coupe

I've owned this car since it was brand new; it's been driven daily for the last 16 years by me and then by my son as his college vehicle. At 172,000 miles, it continues to run strong and reliably. The 3800 engine is a durable performer. The transmission does act up a little on random occasions; primarily hard shifts. The only significant issue I've had with this car is that I've had to replace the lower intake manifold gasket three times since it was new. I also had to replace the radiator and sunroof motor. Also, the headlights on these cars don't seem to put out near enough light. The headlight and taillight lenses tend to collect condensation; but the paint has kept a strong shine and rust isn't a problem. The interior of the car has held up well other than the leather on the steering wheel and one of the radio speakers. There are very few squeaks or rattles on the car even now. Visibility from inside is excellent all around. Overall, the car is fun to drive, powerful and nimble enough to have a strong sporty feel, reliable and still economical. I'd by another new one just like it if I could.

Dream car i always wanted
By Mikelane88

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 4dr Sedan

Bought this car with 200k on it and it runs and drives great. Just starting to show a little rust but love this car and the supercharged engine is awesome. 208k and still going strong.
After putting on about 2000 miles the car now quits and may or may not start again. Pretty much have it sitting and collecting dust now. Read on the internet that this was a common problem. Not sure if I want to stick money into it.

Such a Blast!
By jrocker100

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 2dr Coupe

Car has been very reliable. Car was originally a repo, got it for a steal. Have had this car for 2 years and still haven't/won't get bored with it. The roaring supercharger and exhaust make it all worth while. It's well worth using Premium Fuel. Red coupe, black leather, heated seat, Heads Up Display, fully loaded for a 2000. Even came with the original factory sticker. Bulletproof L67! Love the sound system! Plastic interior can be dull at times, but the red instrument panel lighting is awesome! If I could do it all over, I would. Sad to see Pontiac was discontinued.

GTP Eats Mustang GT's and poops Subaru STI's
By eddymerckx

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 2dr Coupe

The 3.8 SC motor is under-rated at 240hp, unlike the Japanese who over-state their motor output.

My stock motor on a Dyno put out 304 hp.

If you dream of Audi S4 performance, but need reliability, look no further than the Pontiac GTP.

These engines are bullet proof, except for the occasional intake gasket which although time consuming is not a terrible job. $500 tops at any shop.

A Wards top ten engine mated to a reworked GM trans able to take the extra output.

The GTP engine. It differs internally from the normal 3.8. The HUD display is pretty neat and the stock audio system isn't bad!

CRAPPY interior. low rent economy interior the door panels will break, knobs, buttons all break, but thank goodness for ebay and a zillion do it yourself video's on you tube. I would invest in the upgrading the front brakes to the same vintage Impala calipers and hanger.