Used 2003 Pontiac Grand Am Consumer Reviews

$4,500

Used Grand Am for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

Nice Car

Mo-mobile, 05/30/2003

I love to drive this car! Definitely the best handling in its class! I was a little hesitant to buy a car with an automatic transmission but I quickly found the shifts to be very quick and firm. The engine produces enough power to make acceleration exciting and an exhaust note that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. The exterior styling is quite nice (I'm always afraid someone's going to steal my rims they're so nice) and the interior isn't bad either. The seats are great, they're comfortable and supportive during spirited cornering. I like this car so much I find I never want to stop driving.

Great coupe for the money

John, 08/21/2009

I find this to be a very solid, great handling and fun to drive car. There is more then the rated horsepower available, especially considering the cars 3800 lbs. and it runs great!! I would advise i bought this NOT looking for a maintenance free car - it waas cherry but i replaced the coolant with NON DEX_COOL and a lower-tem thermostat - its a GM thing you need to correct but the engine will last foever - i'm a mechanic and trust me it will save you TONS of trouble. I've seen GM's like this take some serious abuse and keep on going!!!

Good first car, lots of problems.

whiteside1013, 08/28/2013

This car is a good first car, but not much more than that. I purchased it from my older brother, who owned it for about 2 years. Before him, it was owned by a family friend and before that a car rental service, so my car has seen its fair share of abuse. When my brother bought the car, it had a leak in the cooling system to where it had to be filled every week or so. It was too expensive to fix, so I've been living with it. The driver side windows have been broken twice. The oil switch broke, which almost totaled the car. The starter went out. The washer pump is broken. The horn is broken. The dashboard is warping up. The keyless entry system is broke

Mistake!

Ashley, 06/21/2010

ONE owner. I bought new 10/2002 happy to have a new car. Headliner fell down 5X in the first 6 mos, then brake pads (every 4 mos & a few calipers) Owner of 5 cars in my life, ONLY 1 has done this, hmm?? Driver, doubt it. Then 2007 big ticket repairs, Dex-Cool ruined hoses, gaskets, manifolds THEN I find out about the Class Action Lawsuit too late to file my repairs. Also replaced many other parts. Do I go on? Not only did I pay of $24K new I have about $8K in repairs. Sell? find out about GM's extreme depreciation, I could not get this nightmare off my hands! 2010 with a 155K mi & needs 3K more in repairs to run, I can't give this car away at this point! Buy a GM, NEVER AGAIN!

Best purchase I've made

Chris A., 12/11/2018
GT 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car 11yrs ago with 68k miles on it. It now has 208k and going strong! All it ever needs is preventative maintenance, tires and brakes. Biggest thing I had to do was a thermostat and some coolant lines. Lights are on the dash but the reader shows no codes. I think it's just old electrical issue as a lot of GM's have after a decade. I have been very blessed with this car. I will stay with her until she dies which I don't think will be soon. I think I can get 250-300k miles out of it. If you have a chance to pick one up under 80k miles don't hesitate. It will last you with proper maintenance.

it's okay

Doug, 06/17/2016
GT1 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I drive my cousins 2003 Pontiac grand am gt all the time that it's basically my car. there so many problems. the big ones are the coolant system problems, leaks coolant and overheats, always filling coolant. needs a new radiator. seals around windshield and back windshield are coming up, radio doesn't light up anymore, cheap materials overall. has good power and acceleration though, I'm not afraid to put it to the floor and pass someone, electrical issues with security system though, keyless entry doesn't work. headlights very foggy. only but if it has less than 120k

Great

Escalante, 12/10/2006

Great performance, amazing when traveling on road and highways. Nice experience driving it at high speed, good control and stability

1st Grand Am GT

apple3006, 08/05/2006

I love my car!!! I bought it with 21K miles still under warranty. Regular oil changes, tire rotations, etc. this car runs fine. I changed the battery and had work done under warranty just after purchasing, since then, no problems!! I work at a high end car retailer and wouldn't even think of buying from my job. Very reliable car, good engine,love the leather interior, moonroof and "moonsoon" stereo. I get tons of compliments about the chrome wheels too! Only wish it had more grip in the snow and ice, you have to drive carefully in the winter weather. Just a tad bit more HP would make this car better, but it's awesome!!

This is why Pontiac has died.

MDM in MD, 05/07/2009

I'm the original owner of my Grand Am GT. Bought it, and am still paying for it since October 2003. Was a great ride and reliable for the better of 4 years. Now six years out, the car is falling apart. Pads and rotors seem to be replaced often.Surprising since I don't race the car, and it is used as a daily commuter with 114,000 miles on it. Replaced ignition switch, emergency brake (broke after replacement by dealer, they had never seen that before), head gasket, and now putting off drivetrain and suspension repair. Tell myself everyday, "Why did I ever buy this car?" GM vehicles seem to have become the money pit of car ownership in my experience. I say buy foreign for better quality!

Great second car

jtemple5, 07/06/2013

Bought this car used back in 2008 with around 55k miles on it... just hit 140k and am looking to replace it, but not for anything specific, I'm just anticipating a problem since I've never had one yet. Even winding up nose first in a snow bank on the side of the highway didn't stop it. Aside from minor wear and tear work, we've never had to replace anything major, even with it being our only car for 4+ years, surviving all those New England winters. Excellent car, excellent style, and roomy inside even with its smaller exterior.

30th Anniversary Edition Ram Air

Simpledlte, 08/31/2005

This car is totally awesome. It does everything but talk to me and it drives like a wet dream. Fast, Sporty, mine is bright red. My only complaint is speeding tickets! Owned it two years and all i have had to do is replace a fuse and routine oil changes. This car has embroidered leather power seats and all the whoopty doos you could want.

love my grand am

paulette, 03/10/2006

I bought it 2 years ago and I love it and don't what to part with it I am keeping it and passing it on to my kids

Brakes, brakes, brakes

bhil1981, 01/08/2007

I bought this car hoping to have something that would last. I was wrong, this car eats brakes. I do not drive hard, the car is all highway miles.The turn signal clicks all the time, the car is airy and the car has had a leak since I bought it and the dealership could not find what was wrong. I'm considering a G6 but I'm not sure if I should give GM another chance.

Fun to drive, good on long trips!

alessing, 07/22/2012

Owned mine until 2007 when it was vandalized and totaled by my insurance company (ugh.). Very reliable and fun car for a decent price. Everyone constantly complains about the lack of power from the "Ram Air 3400 V6." The title offers more than the engine itself. 8+ seconds to 60 which can be an issue passing sometimes, however it has a ton of torque. Other than that it's a fun car with decent fuel economy. I've taken to the mountains of NC and it was perfect for what we needed.

Get Up and Go

Michele Du Bois, 06/12/2018
GT 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This is my third grand am gt. First one 1996, second one 1999 and this one 2003. It has 125,000 miles and I have new everything. Everyone says it looks brand new. I guess it is how you take care of it, and make sure when something feels weird take it to the dealership (I have a wonderful one) right away. Don't wait until something gets big and out of hand to fix. I use Shell nitro gas even though I don't have to, but I think it keeps the engine humming. I plan on keeping this car at least another 75,000 miles. It suits me and is really sharp.

falling apart

reycor1842, 03/20/2011

i bought this pontiac grand am with 25,000 miles on it in 2004.was a good car until 2010. i started having electrical shorts-cruise control,horn,fog light window switch,dome light. at 90,000 miles the intake manifold gasket went out,while the mechanic was replacing the gasket he also discovered a censor that was not properly clipped down anywhere.the censor wiring was about shredded and in a place not visible unless the intake manifolds and other various parts are off the engine. had the brakes redone multiple times,in heavy rain the brakes make a grinding noise and seem as though the barely function at all when wet.I HATE THIS CAR...DO NOT BUY ONE OF THESE!!!

Try a Dodge Stratus instead

Bob Westerman, 01/07/2003

This vehicle pales in comparison to others in its class. Think carefully before purchasing one - just because it is a few $ cheaper does not make it the better buy.

Not So Grand AM

Bill Mitchell, 08/10/2006

This has got to be the poorest car investment I have ever made. My Grand Am 4 dr. SE as soon as I passed the 60,000 km Warranty the car has been biodegrading on the road. Paint has literally been flying off the bumpers and the doors as i drive At 70,000 Km my air conditioning quit and some type of relay switch in the blinker has gone when I turn the clicking noise of the blinker keeps going for 45-60 seconds after the turn is completed. The fog lamps in the front tend to come loose and point in strange directions I have used Duct tape to hold them in place When called the dealer and told them of my concerns she said Oh they are prone to those problems but bring it in Pay for an Inspection

Not a bad car considering, but not great.

rumrunner83, 01/04/2013

I bought my Grand AM SE 2.2L brand new in November of 2002. I still have the car just over ten years now. Its a sporty car with a particularly powerful four cylinder engine. That being said, it is a four cylinder, and while the car is absolutely fantastic for highway driving, the car is simply too heavy for hills and cold weather. Even when the car was new it did not like climbing hills, and in the cold the engine loses significant horsepower. However, the car is amazing on gas if properly maintained and I have driven from southern Massachusetts to Bangor, Maine (Approximately 300 miles) before refueling.

I've had two, and no problems!

chevygirlie, 03/12/2012

I've had two grand ams. One was an 03 grand am gt coupe, and the other was an 01 se sedan. Both have well over 200,000 miles and were excellent cars! Had a good amount of power with the 3.4Ltr 6cyl. Gas mileage was amazing! I live in Wyoming and they both got around in the snow VERY well. Never had any trouble with either one, I have since upgraded to an SUV, but I do miss those cars. I would highly recommend, they are cheap to buy, cheap to fill, and cheap to maintain.

2003 PONTIAC GRAND AM GT

ALONZO JONES JR, 06/03/2004

FOR SOMEONE SHORT LIKE 4FT 11 INCHS THE SEATS NEED TO BE ABLE TO ADJUST THE HEIGHT. WOULD BE NICE BECAUSE THE SEATS SIT SO LOW SOMEONE SHORT HAS TROUBLE SEEING WHICH MAKES FOR A LOT OF BLIND SPOTS,OTHER THAN THAT THE CAR HAS A WONDERFUL FEEL AND IS COMFORTABLE TO RIDE IN ,WE USUALLY HAVE OUR GRAND CHILDREN WITH US DOES NOT FIT CAR SEATS VERY COMFORTABLLY THIS IS NOT FOR A LARGE FAMILY BUT 3 OR 4 CHILDREN IN THE BACK IS DO ABLE.TRUCK SPACE IS NICE I ALSO LIKE THE FACT THAT THE BACK SEATS CAN LET DOWN FOR MORE ROOM THAT IS A PLUS FOR SHOPING AND FISHINF AND MANY OTHER THINGS.

hello kitty

seanfine, 07/20/2002

An excellent package for the price of the car. The quality of the finishes and materials are very high. Car is also very fun to drive and has a nice powerful engine despite being a 4 cylinder.

Excellent Choice

Justin, 06/02/2008

My parents bought me this car for my sixteenth birthday for $11,000. The previous owners kept it immaculate and changed its oil every three-thousand miles. I have continued this care and the car has remained in mint condition. This car is very good- looking and has excellent performance for the cheap price. The many luxuries such as the sunroof and chrome rims are very nice.

Still running like new

MadWoman, 11/05/2008

Bought brand new in 2003, and am aiming for 100,000 miles. Car is at 70,000 now, and only issue so far is the engine would get hot, but never overheat (cheap intake gasket in this car - needed replaced). I've always had maintenance done on time, cleaned it often, and simply took greater care of it than others found reasonable. It still keeps up with my lead foot, is still running and looking like new after three fairly serious accidents, drove smoothly between California and Massachusetts four times, and its fun-to-drive rating becomes "10" with the right custom suspension and engine upgrades. The electrical, engine, and mechanics, overall, have yet to fail me.

not best car

minotrice, 03/04/2014

*had the 2.2 with autotran, was not a choice. bought brand new, had it 11 years untill it was totaled and overall just not a great car. blew tranny at 80,000 miles blew fuel pump at 60,00o lots of other issues, electrial gremils ect. the worst part was when hit the tree the airbags deployed minutes after the crash not durng, i was stoped and already shut off motor

THE BEST 2003

03GTCruzzer, 02/25/2003

I love it! Hands down.

Could use more poke...

Tony A., 12/16/2003

My experience with Pontiac's Grand Am has been mixed. While the car is sleek and it has the engine capacity, the 3.4 liter is far too anemic for the GT's perfoemance image. Acceleration from a standing start is OK, but it quickly runs out of breath. This engine is, however, very smooth and reliable. Ride quality is adequate as is handling. In general, a sporty car at a low price. With the generous rebates the car cost less than $16,000.00 new.

not a good car

Karen, 04/23/2006

do not buy! we have replaced the starter, battery, alternator, etc. in less than 3 months time. resell value stinks and you'll be top heavy!! but they are good on gas mileage.

Not happy

Okay, 03/20/2006

I have had my G.A. for 2.5 years and have had many problems. I have had them replace the radio 2 times for skipping, still skips. The suspension went out in the front a couple of months ago, and it is starting to rattle around AGAIN! When I hit a bump or RR tracks...it jumps around. I have to take it in again because my power steering fluid is leaking and the wheel is making a grinding noise. I have taken it back 3 times for GM to fix the back door, it rattles. GM had to replace the windshield molding bacuse it came off! I took it in FIVE x's because the seat belt light wouldnt turn off (even when buckled). They finally found a short under the seat! I have 35k and looking to trade it in!!

Near Exact

jscs, 04/10/2003

I like this car. In fact, I'm moving to a town where I really don't need it and trying to justify how I can keep it. I too have the "creaks" at times, but not always. Never taken it back to the dealer and suppose it does no good from reading these posts. Fine drive.

Awesome car.

cbeck3, 02/03/2012

I love my car, but I've had problems with the PassKey system - still looking for a way to disable that completely. Also, I'm not a fan of the Monsoon sound system. In spite of all that, my car is great. It's very quick and plenty fast - although the 150mph speedometer is tempting. It's a great looking car; I've received lots of complements. All in all, it's a great car for the money.

Beat

Pefinr, 07/19/2019
SE2 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Buy a new 2

Some problems

Thirtysomething, 09/24/2008

I had to replace two or three parts of the ignition switch assembly, the battery, the rotors, the mirror adjustment joy stick, rear main seal, engine cradle (at less than 70,000 miles!), fuel pump, struts & strut mounts, all before 100,000 miles! Even with all of these repairs I plan on keeping it for my teenage son to drive..that way if he wrecks it..it won't be a big loss..

Fuel Pump, Electrical

ERIKKK, 10/17/2008

I bought this car used, with 62,000 miles on it, after i hit the 63,000 mile mark i started having this goofy electrical problem where i would start the car and the radio, Dash...etc...wouldn't turn on. I am able to cope with it, usually it all kicks on about 1 minute after starting. 2,000 miles later the fuel pump went out. I love the car, but the problems are starting to irritate me. The car handle's very nicely, accelerates very quickly and is a comfortable, sharp looking ride.

Long-term review

Jim, 12/03/2008

I've had the GAGT over 6 yrs/70K miles. Seen many of the typical problems-replace front brakes every 15k, passlock issues, random clicking, leaking intake manifold gasket, etc. When I complained about the front brake servicing to Pontiac corporate, they were minimally helpful. Researching a bit, I found numerous consumer complaints, and several Tech Service Bulletins issues by Pontiac regarding the brakes. One additional item:(might vary by state) in MA, the GAGT is very expensive to insure-same as a BMW, due to repair cost. Many of the negative aspects of the car seem to be related to a corporate philosophy from GM, which with the recent bailout requests seem to run deeper than just the GAGT

boo-urns these cars stink!!!!!!

manderz, 04/13/2009

I bought my 2003 grand am gt1 2 years ago. it had one previous owner. I have put so much money into this car. I take excellent care of my car, but everytime i turn around something else is wrong with it. I've had to replace the electrical box in the car. fuel pump and filters, batteries, thermostat, and now something else is wrong with it.. ABS, no trac, service vehicle soon lights are all on. For some reason I'm thinking it has something to do with the famous engine block. i've spent close to 4 grand on it in less than 2 years. yikes.

Been a great car for me

wilkermom, 04/10/2009

I have had a great experience with this car. I was especially happy when I moved from to a state where it snows and my car handled incredibly well in the snow. I lived on a very steep hill and my neighbors could not get up the hill in the snow but my Pontiac went right up the hill. This car looks nice,I like how it looks sporty. Handles well,gets good gas mileage. I always thought it was pretty roomy until a car seat would not really fit well in the back seat. Stroller also takes up the entire trunk. I have only had to repair the fuel pump and that was at 125,000 miles. All other work on the car has been just routine maintenance. My only complaint would be that it's little noisy inside

Great Car

K Dub, 06/25/2009

I bought my car brand spanking new with only 2 miles on it. I've had a few issues with it with a bad fuel pump the catalytic converter went out which was replaced under warranty. I've also had to have the battery replaced. Other than that i've had no other problems with my car I usually change the oil at regular intervals and recently had a coolant flush. It rides great.

Hate this freakin car SOOOOOOOOO Much

P.O.S. car, 07/20/2009

Had this car for 6 years and have nothing but problems with this car. Initially, the car was fun to drive and fulfilled its purpose. After about a year and a half, everything started going south. This piece of crap has front rotor, rear drum brakes. As such, the brakes wear down pretty quick. Have replaced brakes/pads/rotors 5 times so far. Have also replaced entire ignition system, fuel tank, fuel pump, and various other things. Bought car new for $14k and, so farm have spent about $7- $8k in repairs over the life of ownership. DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT BUYING THIS CAR.

Can't GM get it right

TOm, 08/09/2009

Looks good fun to drive; Many problems 1) pass lock 2) brakes 3)water pump 4) fuel pump If GM would make cars that did not continually FAIL. They could make money on selling cars. Brakes - were bad from fac. they didn't even clean the disks ( still greasy) ; Pass lock may have worked it they lubricated the cylinder: Water pump - they put this on the timing chain- Very bad design! Fuel pump - in the tank Very bad design. I think GM could design a good car they just chose not to!

Nightmare

Dude, 08/23/2009

I've had this car since it was brand new and it's been nothing but a nightmare to own. I'm now seeing many of the problems I've had from other reviewers, including turn signal clicking when not in use,paint peeling, seals. Two weeks after purchase, the a/c went - needed air compressor and it's been downhill ever since. I only have 31,000 but have had the brake pedal assembly replaced due to car picking up speed, even going up hill, needed 2 batteries replaced in less than 3 mos., sunroof leaked, had ignition cylinder replaced 3 times because car wouldn't start; 3 days after most recent replacement, security light has been coming on while driving and dealership says can't disconnect. Run!

Mine is Great!

Alml, 01/19/2010

I purchased my 03 Grand Am new as a left over in Feb. 04. I paid about $7000 less than sticker and it s the best car bargain I ever got. Since I've had I put 53000 NYC miles on it and it's only needed minor normal wear repairs that one would expect for a 03 model. Water pump was the most serious. I do go thru brakes more than I think i should but other than that this car has been good to me and I love it!

Quick and Rock Solid

Gran AM Owner, 02/17/2010

I own a 2003 Pontiac Grand Am SE V6 and i am so glad i bought this car. It has been very good for me it's quick really quick and with the stuff i do to it i'm surprised it hasn't broke in two. It hasn't had any problems except last week the fuel pump went out which for your information is really common for Pontiac Grand Am's Chevy Malibu's of 99-03 and Olds-mobile Alero's it's just a chronic problem just like nissan's and brake failure anyway my dads slammed the car into a curb going 40 in ice and nothing happened to it didn't even get out of alignment tell me one car that does that i could keep going on but i don't have enough space but for quality and performance this is the best car.

Love my car, but it has a few quirks.

Jared1987, 06/01/2010

Got it used in 2007 and it has been going strong. I love the smooth sporty ride and the tight handling. I haven't had any major problems with it, however, certain things have started to go and with the Grand Am's, it's the little things that kill you. A few months after I bought it my stereo light dimmed and it's hard to see. The seal on my passenger's side door is loose so when it rains heavy my entire passenger's side floor is soaked. My air only works on 3 and above. Now my driver's side window is expendable and refuses to work sometimes. If you live in the Midwest please make sure you have another vehicle for winter. This gets hopelessly stuck in everything 3 inches and above. Bummer!

Been a great car for 7 years now

ted, 09/20/2010

We were shopping for a Honda Accord when we stopped by the GM dealer, we drove away in a brand new Gt Grand Am with all the bells and whistles for $7000 less than a half loaded 4 cyl Accord. I thought i would pay in the end in repairs but this car has been very reliable, we have just over 170k on it now and have never had any major problems, and the car is stupidly cheap to maintain (no timing belt service to worry about)We have had the most trouble with the power windows, maybe it's the cold Canadian winters that's hard on the window clips (we replaced ours twice now). The car performs well, gets great fuel economy, and we still get complements on the looks! Overall a good solid car for the price.

What a car

m, 08/06/2002

This is the second pontiac Grand Am I have owned and they are great. The first Grand Am-a 94-made it to 199K miles with minimal repairs. I will only buy Grand Ams from now on.

jackpot, 09/01/2002

No rust interior cloth no rips air condition power seats power windows power locks

Passenger Side Crash

crashkid, 09/03/2002

I bought a 2-dr GRAm GT (Black). While driving on the hwy a woman started coming in my lane. When I swirved to miss her I lost total control of my vehicle (Steering and Brakes !) hitting the contrete barrier on the hwy, crossed 4 lanes of traffic before I was hit in the psgr side door by a F-150 truck at 70mph. No one was with me, that person would have been dead. My "drivers cage" held up The psgr door was pushed over to the console. I do not visually remember hitting the wall or by the truck but I do remember the feeling of the brakes pulsing (ABS) and not being able to stop, and cranking the steering wheel with no control.

GAGT

ROB_ROB, 09/14/2002

I absolutely love my GAGT. It handles like no other car I've driven for its price. Off the line my car took my friends c230 'kompressor' (manual) to the cleaners, not to mention his Celica GTS before that. I got my car fully loaded for under $24,000. What a deal! At 70MPH my engine is doing about two thousand RPM, its a heavy car and it shows on the freeway...I can hardly feel the wind. Only bad thing is the governor...but then again, who needs to go faster than 115 MPH when the car can get you there before you know it.

Excellent Car!!!

Pontiac Grand Am GT, 10/29/2002

Just bought our first Grand Am GT. Its an excellent car, thats fun to drive. Other Grand Am owners say its reliable and maintance is minimal. I highly recommend this car!

51050