Used 2002 Pontiac Grand Am Sedan Consumer Reviews

Used Grand Am for Sale
Select your model:
12345...19

Pros
Cons

2002 Grand Am SE1 (3.4L V-6, Automatic)

macdizzle, 06/07/2013
SE1 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought mine used in 2005 with 60k miles on it. I am just now (in mid 2013) through steps to fix it up a little to resell or trade in. I was attracted to it because I could by afford it, and it had a pretty sexy looking body style, an ergonomic interior design, and a nice little dose of low end torque. It was a bright red car and I dubbed it 'the Ferrari.' I have been through a lot with it and have kept it so long that I have spent almost as much insuring it as I did to buy it. The downside is that it is a General Motors car from an era where the passenger cars where he trim, plastics, and electrical systems suffer from poor design and durability.

Severe engine problems

multani4, 09/14/2012
GT1 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Great when bought brand new. but beware of engine problems. #1 lower intake leaks. Head Gasket leaks. hard on brakes. stay away from this vehicle or any other gm vehicle with the 3.4l and 3.6l and 3.8l engines they all have issues with leaks.

A lot of car for the money

Ray Lussier, 03/20/2002
SE1 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought at cost plus the 2002 rebate. Got a lot of car for the money. Got the v6 engine and love the way it performs. The controls are well-laid out, and the steering and handling are good. Does not have the build quality that toyota or honda have, but for the money I paid, I'm quite happy.

Second Time Around

jkidd, 04/03/2002
SE1 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I owned a '99 GA SE sedan and now an '02 SE1, I even got the same color. This one is loaded, except the V6. Differences? You can turn the DRL's off, but the parking lights remain. Chimes for the various reminders are not as loud as they were in the '99. A nifty cup holder was added on the console. The new 2.2 liter 4 cylinder engine vs the 2.4. I keep reading about how smooth & quiet the new 2.2 is. I find the new engine to be loud, it makes a clicking sound even @ idle. The car is less torquey, fuel mileage is exceptional. 2 nagging concerns on build quality. A rattle in the roof liner near the moonroof button. Plastic pieces in my car are not flush.

Love this car!

shopgirl24, 06/25/2008
SE 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car 3 years ago with 19k miles on it. It now has about 60k miles; I have had to replace the O2 sensor once (about $300). Otherwise my only expense has been the usual maintenance - oil changes and first full round of tires 4 months ago. This car has been extremely reliable, and is a great family vehicle. It also gets decent mileage for its size; I get 28 mpg city/hwy combined. It is also quite stylish for the price and fun to drive! I am very satisfied with my purchase.

12345...19