Used 2012 Nissan Versa Sedan Consumer Reviews - 56 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Nissan Versa Sedan Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Versa model:

A basic auto
By Gerry

2012 Nissan Versa Sedan 1.6 S 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Great car with 5 speed manual transmission, and roll up windows, great mileage. A very nondescript car with plenty of trunk space. Easy to park. Great CD player and AC/Heat

Stay away from this car!
By Jeff Jones

2012 Nissan Versa Sedan 1.6 SV 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl CVT)

The CVT went out with only 66,000 miles. We had every scheduled maintenance on it. Save your self the trouble avoid buy a Nissan versa.

Just Say No to the 2012 Nissan Versa SV
By Ken

2012 Nissan Versa Sedan 1.6 SV 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl CVT)

This car has terrible problems with its CVT. Average failure is at 69,000 miles, just beyond warranty for those who care. The CVT can't actually be fixed by a transmission shop and must be replaced with either a re-manufactured unit or a used unit. Every transmission shop I visited said the same thing, the CVT will absolutely fail no matter what between 120 and 160 thousand miles, if not sooner. Mine failed at 93,583. Costs run between 3,000 to 4,500 to replace with a re-manufactured unit. Unless you can get a 3 yr warranty with a used unit I wouldn't touch it.

Six-year Versa owner
By Brian

2012 Nissan Versa Sedan 1.6 SV 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl CVT)

I purchased this vehicle new in October 2011 as the re-designed 2012 Versa SV sedan. I've only ever driven small, economy cars, so I wasn't expecting luxury. I buy based upon low cost of ownership. After almost 6 years, the car has almost 190,000 miles on it. I maintained the car regularly at Nissan through the warranty period, then myself or an independent mechanic thereafter. Overall, you will get what you pay for. My CVT transmission went out at 65K (first time owning an automatic let alone a CVT, so fortunately I purchased the extended warranty-covered--$3500 without the warranty). Other than the transmission issue, I've only done oil changes, one battery replacement, tire replacements, brake pad/shoe replacements. The bluetooth software is not upgrade-able with the new phones, so that feature ended when I upgraded my phone. Also, the CD player stopped working at 180,000 miles. Other than that, reliability has been satisfactory overall. This is a good car for highway commuters who only want point A-to-B. If you are wanting something fun to drive, or in areas where you need good acceleration, this is not the vehicle for you. Also, it's light and the wind will take it easily while driving. If you are a parent shopping for teens or less-experienced drivers, consider buying a used car with more substance/mass. I'm 6'1, 220#'s, have driven for nearly 30 years, and never felt safe in this car.

DO NOT PURCHASE VERSA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
By kay

2012 Nissan Versa Sedan 1.6 SV 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl CVT)

I went to trade in my 2001 Ford Explorer for a more fuel efficient vehicle. The dealership showed me was the 2012 Nissan Versa SV Sedan with the CVT transmission. I loved the look of the car, the price was alright, mileage was great, and as I test drove it around the block it seemed to drive wonderfully. The day after I purchased the Versa, I noticed when driving it was acting funny. As I was accelerating, it acted like it didn't want to go. It lagged terribly and made this odd noise under the hood. I immediately took it to the dealership and asked them to please drive it because it seemed something was wrong. They told me that it was because I was not custom to driving with a CVT transmisson and sent me on. The same thing continued and I kept telling myself I needed to just get used to driving it. A couple months go by and I begin to notice when I am parked or sitting at a light, the entire car will vibrate all over along with this rattle noise. I took it to the dealership and told them about the issues during my service appointment and they gave me the same run around. So I let it go to see if maybe I was still freaking out for no reason. A few more months go by and the acceleration was getting worse and worse. It got to where it took about 3 to 5 seconds for the car to accelerate from a stop, the vibration when idle became worse and louder, and a loud hum noise began to come from the car. I had my service due in a few weeks so I was going to mention it all again then but my visits became early. As I was accelerating from a two-way stop (I was at the stop sign). I saw to my right that nothing was coming and to my left, there was an 18 wheeler coming. I had more than enough time to go on and go. As I did, my car stalled as usual and shut off completely in the middle of the intersection causing the 18 wheeler to drive into the ditch!!! No one was hurt thankfully but it was dangerous! I immediately the nex day went straight to the dealership and told them something had t be done! I wanted a trade in and they wouldn't do this. They suggested fixing the transmission (finally). I was given a rental car for the three weeks it took them to replace my transmission with a new one (@ 74,000 miles). This past Thursday afternoon (3/23/17) I was told my car was ready to be picked up. I went up there to pick it up and immediately as I drive out of the dealership, I notice that the vibration is still there, the humming noise, the brakes acted like they didn't want to work (jerking motion), and the acceleration is better but not perfect. I called my mother and told her that the car is still doing the same things and that I am going back up there tomorrow (Friday... 3/24/17). My mother and I went up there the next morning very angry and upset telling them the same things were still happening and everyone seemed to be getting pissed with us. We were told that the transmission had been fixed and nothing is wrong with my car. I was told that it was in my head and I was worrying for no reason. I overheard a salesman say that we were just looking to trade because I wanted a new car. I had a technician drive the car with me because they suggested him to do so. However, no one would listen to me and drive the car longer than 2 mins around the block. You had to drive it about ten minutes to start to hear the humming sound and feel the vibrations. I became very upset and left because we were just getting the run around AGAIN! Well, as I am driving the rest of the day, the hum noise becomes worse and worse! At about 11:30 pm that Friday night, I am driving home from clinicals and not even a mile from my house, I begin to hear an awful clanking noise coming from under the car and I could feel it in the floorboard. I thought it would be okay til I get home because I was so close. I had one stop sign to stop at before getting to my house. As I accelerate from the stop sign, the hum and clank noise become louder and louder and I notice my car is veering the right. No matter how much I turn my steering wheel to the left, it will not go to the left. I immediately try to brake and the car acts like it does not want to brake. It jerks and is still going to the right. I get down to about 20 miles per hour and I am going off onto the side of the road and finally, I stop by hitting a speed limit sign! I called my mother freaking out asking her to come down the road. We called the sheriff department and wrecker service to come out there. I didn't turn the car off when I got out just because I didn't think about it. As my mother and I are standing out there waiting for them to arrive, we start to hear this loud fan type noise coming from under the hood and see a slight glimpse of smoke. We immediately turned the car off! Now, my car is at the body shop and we are going to the dealership first thing when they open on Monday! PLEASE DO NOT BUY A VERSA!!!!!! I am not the only person I know who has had this type of issue go on with their Versa.