Used 2009 Nissan Versa Sedan Consumer Reviews - 44 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Nissan Versa Sedan Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Versa model:

logical and economic
By Rob Malcolm

2009 Nissan Versa Sedan 1.8 S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

This car is very good with fuel mileage.It handles great on smooth and somewhat bumpy roads.Be carefull when parellel parkparking.The hubcaps will get scraped up if you come too close to high curbs.The sound system sounds great.The brakes are very good.good.This car is good for city and highway driving.

lightly driven.
By Joe P

2009 Nissan Versa Sedan 1.6 Base 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I got this car as a spare in the 2009 cash for clunkers. drove it just now and then. I started driving it every day, 2 month ago, 20k miles on it. My thoughts are that my base model came with no arm rests, luckily after market ones are easy to get. Also, the electronic steering wheel causes constant interference on the aftermarket AM radio. The worst thing about this car is the front wheels are so far out in front, that there is no weight on them, trying to accelerate into traffic causes tire spin even on dry roads, almost impossible to pull out into traffic on wet roads. I am still on factory tires so this might get better if better tires are eventually installed.
10/2017, car now has 33,000 miles and got the first new set of tires. Good, name brand tires made a great difference. Comparing the two tires side by side, the original tires have very hard rubber, almost like soft plastic, new tires have soft rubber, easy to deform with fingers. Handling is better, ride is softer and traction is better. Just got notice that the Air Bag is included in the recall, will have to wait several months for the dealer to get parts in stock to fix.
Getting really tired of the manual doors locking themselves. The lock lever is positioned so that when you open the door from the inside, your fingers move across the locking tab, and in the same motion, and before you know it.. the door is locked. Another irritation is that many times when you use the blinkers, the same leaver, in the same action will turn on the high beams.

85k miles and counting.
By Pat

2009 Nissan Versa Sedan 1.8 SL 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Update #3 (2018). Car still holding up pretty good. Have approx 85k miles now. No maintenance costs other than fluid changes. I've been critical of this car in my previous comments but so far I'm very pleased. HVAC works good. Nimble. Power adequate. Easy on tires and brakes. Consistent gas mileage (30). Still skeptical of its long term reliability but we'll see.

Update#2. Car is driven daily. Things have been good so far. No mechanical break downs or problems. Rotate the tires. Change the oil. That's about it.

Update: Car has been reliable so far. Has 75k miles now. Has adequate power and decent fuel economy. The versa is not a freeway car, it's for around town and commuting. Yes it can be driven 75 mph but it's uncomfortable. Even the loaded SL feels cheap but that's what it is....a cheap car. Once you get over that and appreciate it's real quality (inexpensive transportation) you will feel good about driving it. Would I buy this car over a Toyota Camry or Honda Civic (?) probably not but you can buy one cheap. If this car lasts us 5 more years and/or 75k more miles I'll not regret it.

Car is now 7 years old w/65k miles. Purchased one year ago from an elderly family member who bought it new. Versa reliability a mixed bag from what I've read. I'm more into Toyota quality but this car came available at a great price. So far no major issues. Had to change out one strut. Still on the original set of brakes. Seems to be easy on tires. Averages about 30 MPG. Drives out pretty good. No speed demon but adequate. My impression is this is a decent economy car that does everything well. Time will tell if it lasts.

Pros: Great visibility, decent MPG, fold down rear seats.

Cons: Electronic steering, jittery on the highway, engine noisy when pushed.

Not for Montana driving
By Shelli Roufley

2009 Nissan Versa Sedan 1.6 Base 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I have driven front wheel drive little cars in Mt. for almost 30 years, putting on at least 30,000 miles a year. This is the worst car I have ever driven in snow and ice. Regretting this purchase. :(
Update: I have had this car a year, and it's falling apart.

My 2009 was great
By rock2014

2009 Nissan Versa Sedan 1.6 Base 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car new - actually right off the truck - in 2009 and owned it until fall 2016.

For the first six years I drove 100 miles round trip to work each day, and sold it with 176,000 miles.

It has needed nothing but routine maintenance - because I baby it, we're still on the original brakes.

My wife and two daughters preferred traveling in this instead of our Ford Taurus - more roomy, especially in the back.

Bottom line - especially if you're looking for what Edmunds calls a reliable "appliance" car, I've never had anything better than this.