Used 1996 Nissan Truck Consumer Reviews - 28 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Nissan Truck Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Truck model:

A Poor Man's Tacoma
By Earle

1996 Nissan Truck XE 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I actually hesitate to write this review because these vehicles are so good yet are apparently so unknown (at least that is the conclusion I draw from their relatively low resale value and few reviews). I do not want them all snatched up before I get a chance to acquire another one. I have owned one of these Nissans recently, which I bought used with 155k miles on it. Another member of my family has also owned one since it was new. We have both been very pleased with them. Both vehicles have been sold but stayed in the family. Both recently received excellent appraisals from mechanics, one of whom said a more tight vehicle he hadn't seen, and that was when it was 20 years old and after it had done rough work on a farm! Fuel economy is disappointing (I had the V6 extended cab while the other one in the family is the 4 cylinder regular cab). The Nissan pickup is also a little small for me and uncomfortable (I am 6'4"). But the dependability and value cannot be beat. My ratings may not say this is an excellent used vehicle, but I hold reliability and value at a premium, weighted far more than all other qualities. I love Tacomas for the rock solid reliability, but their resale value is so crazy high that I cannot readily afford one. From my experience, these old Nissan's seem to be on par with them, but at half the cost. I had to part with my Nissan after three years of ownership in order to get something that could haul more passengers. I regret letting it go and intend to get another one as soon as I can. Superb little pickups. Just save a good one for me.

Most Reliable Thing I have ever owned!
By M. Chech

1996 Nissan Truck XE 2dr Extended Cab SB

This truck was great to me I had fun driving it. I bought it in 2003 I had 2 Nissan pickups prior to buying this one I bought this for work it had 46,000 miles on it in 2003 from an Old couple(If your reading this thank you for selling me this great truck) it had no problems I did normal oil changes and other routine stuff to keep it in tip top shape and the only problem I had with it was when i had to get a Master air flow sensor about 5 months ago and it went back to running great as it always has it had about 139,000 miles on it I was planning on driving it to at least 300,000 miles like i did with my old one but my stupid son made me sell it 3 weeks ago. I Regret selling my truck.

The smooth drive, interior and exterior design the super spacious bed and the power it had for a 4 cylinder auto trans truck. I loved everything about it.

The back seats

most dependable 4 cyl ever
By chad honeycutt

1996 Nissan Truck XE 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this truck in 02 with 160000 miles.It now has 457000 miles with original engine.The only major thing I have replaced is the manual transmission at 377000 miles.It does finally leak a little oil but go figure.I plan to drive it till it quits.I would not be surprised to see 600000!!!

durable engine

better stereo

Luv that Nissan Truck
By 96 Nissan

1996 Nissan Truck XE 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

Bought mine new. Has 108,000 miles. Nothing to complain about, just change the oil.

Exterior styling, 4x4 clearance

better speakers, better gas mileage. Wished they built a 6-cyl that year.

Don't judge by the looks
By Joe

1996 Nissan Truck XE 2dr Regular Cab SB

Purchased 7 years ago. Currently has 120,000 miles. Previous owner did no maintenance. Few things had to be replaced. I love this pick-up. No squeaks or rattles. This is my daily driver and is also on second teenager driving. Everyone in the family loves to drive the truck. Also the oldest car we have! Replaced the std radio with CD/MP3 player and 4 speakers and MP3 connection. Gas mileage varies between 20 (city) and 25 (highway). Check Engine light is on half the time, but it goes away again. I just ignore it.

Gas mileage, comfort, easy steering, reliability, space, etc.

Slow, but with teenagers driving I should maybe move it to favourite feature!