Used 2011 Nissan Pathfinder SUV Consumer Reviews - 12 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Nissan Pathfinder SUV Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pathfinder model:

New to me
By R.D.

2011 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SV 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

It is exactly what I needed. It is an older model but strong and durable. I have 3 kids who have a lot of stuff so the space is excellent even when I have to cart around more people.

Wish I had spent more time test driving
By Vivian JonesSmith

2011 Nissan Pathfinder SUV Silver Edition 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this vehicle used about a month ago - it is a 2011 Silver addition with 4WD - I use it daily for to/from work and have just taken my first long distance (5 hours) trip in it. My major issue is with interior space. I wanted an optional 3rd row, which this vehicle has, but if you want to bring groceries home - you cannot have the third row up. The second row is not much use except for storage, you could fit two small people, or children comfortably, but two full grown adults would have a hard time after 30 minutes. Especially if there is a full grown person in the front seat with the front seat back - it only gives about 8 inches of leg room to the second row. So basically I have a two person vehicle with 4 doors. There are very few storage compartments - so I have added a container to the back cargo area to hold the basic items I keep in a vehicle. The radio controls are crazy - the radio is incorporated into the dash (so you have no option of ever replacing it) and you have to reach all the way across the middle of the vehicle to the passenger side to change the station - the volume control is too near the driver - the heat/AC controls are between the volume knob and the station selection knob and I find myself adjusting the temperature instead of the volume. There are controls on the steering wheel, but with the issues I am having with the radio and display, I cannot change the channel from the steering wheel if it is on XM. By the way - XM is not a visible option on the radio controls - you have to push the radio button twice and then you can access XM. I have had electrical issues with the radio I cannot reprogram my stations - once the vehicle is turned off - they all reset to what was there before. I can change the station once the vehicle is on, but I have to adjust the radio every single time I get in. The display flashes bright then dim for no reason - I 'll be driving down the road and the display flashes. There is no navigation and the display is hard to use. The temperature is very difficult to regulate - it goes from hot to cold to hot - and on the long trip I had to constantly adjust the temperature to keep the inside from being either too cold or too stuffy. If you try to use vent without AC - it blows hot like it is coming directly from the engine, so you still have to adjust the temperature to regulate the inside conditions. With all that said, I wanted a vehicle that could go off road for bike races and possibly pull a camper - in those two areas, the Pathfinder is great - awesome ground clearance and the tow package is for 6,000 lbs (though I have been advised to not tow to the max since the vehicle is older) Gas mileage is what I was expecting from reading other reviews - not the best but not the worst - I am averaging 16.5 MPG - on the tank it recommends supreme, but I cannot see a difference in MPG - though my son does say it will help with overall engine performance if the correct octane in used. If you are single and want a vehicle for off road and fun - the Pathfinder is great - if you want to take friends with you, your limit is one comfortably, you could take four, but the two in the back will not be happy after a while. I had the vehicle looked at by my garage and they said they had never seen of vehicle of this age in such good shape (mechanically) - not one single leak of any kind. So I hope the Pathfinder will make up in longevity for what it lacks in usable space and display use. I am already considering putting it up for sale.

Update: I have now been driving this Pathfinder for over 6 months - and have discovered the brakes freeze if they are wet. Nothing like driving downhill braking and sliding out of control with your front brakes freezing. I had my front brake pads replaced and the problem continues - I did some research and found out this is a common problem with Nissan vehicles. So I will now be spending a lot of money trying to get my brakes safe. - Electrical issues continue - the clock will not stay set, so I have to set it every time I get in the car. the radio will not stay programmed, so if I want my favorite stations - I have to reprogram the radio every time I start the car. The sun visors are sagging - cant be used in the side position because the sag so much they do not block the sun and if you turn they swing and hit you in the head. Over all very poor quality in the interior of the vehicle.

Over all, I am not happy with this vehicle - spend a lot of time in it before you buy it.

Love my 2011 Pathfinder..it completes me. LOL
By RGreene

2011 Nissan Pathfinder SUV Silver Edition 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

It's a comfortable size with plenty room. Love the way it sits up off ground. It's a comfortable quiet ride especially for a 4WD. Great all around utilitie vehicle.

Good All-Rounder
By Happy Mountain Climbers

2011 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SV 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

High marks for style, comfort, and driveability. I would like to see better mileage from a six cylinder, though. Excellent views to the rear for lane changing with just the right height for visibility all directions.

The perfect choice
By redg

2011 Nissan Pathfinder SUV S 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

we bought a 3800# travel trailer and my Isuzu Rodeo just wasn't quite up to the task of towing it. I wanted a powerful V-6 with comfort.
Got this car from a dealer (it was the salesman's wife's car) with 6300 miles.
Ride is pretty stiff and busy but better than the Rodeo.
Step on the gas and you're GONE!.
It tows the trailer very well and gets good fuel mileage doing so. We spent 3 weeks on the road last year, up and down some extremely steep roads without a problem.
My one complaint was the standard radio was terrible.
I replaced with one from Crutchfield and now love everything about this car.

Power for towing, styling, comfort. It should be noted that this is the S model. Bottom of the line of the Pathfinders. It's extremely quick in traffic and true in steering, ride is sports-car firm. Ours came with a dealer-installed DVD player mounted to the ceiling. We've never used it. Lots of power outlets in front and in back Not quite 4' wide in back to carrying plywood doesn't work but it will hold a whole lot of stuff (and rides great with a load)

Driver seat comfort on this model not te greatest. The lumbar support is better than nothing but hard to operate on the road. Don't even think about putting adults in the third row seats for more than a few minutes. Emergency uses only but better than nothing I guess. The stock radio is not worth owning. No volume and distorts at anything past half volume. The Sony I bought from Crutchfield and installed myself is a gem...and with USB outlets, something this model lacks.