Used 2005 Nissan Altima Consumer Reviews

List Price Range

Used Altima for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons
2.88 out of 5 stars

The last Nissan I will ever own.

jalaniz4116, 01/08/2013
2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Nissan Altima new, and it has been a big burden. I had the car for a month when the transmission went out. I wish I was joking. The dealership took care of the problem pretty promptly. The Cam-shaft sensors went out, so the car would just stop on me at a low rates of speed. As one could imagine, it was not very safe due to that reason. I have had to replace 3 alternators. 3 of them!!!!!! I have had to replace all the motor mounts & the breaks way too often. After a year, I never felt safe in taking the Altima out of town.

4.75 out of 5 stars

Ultimate Sports Sedan

MartymdSE-R, 12/23/2006
3.5 SE-R 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

This is my second Altima and i love it more than any other car that I've ever owned. It combines everyday drivability along with excellent performance! Plus, it won't break the bank.

3.75 out of 5 stars

Run from it like your head is on fire

KarenMarie, 08/18/2010
3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is the best looking piece of crap on the road. As a highway driver I don't brake much. Curious as to why I had to get new rear brakes at 20k which was just over a year and that was just the start, lost count of my brake jobs. I've had to replace the steering rack, wheel hub, under carriage parts, tie rod, front struts, rear shocks, radiator: within the first 12 months, battery and alternator. And that is just the major repairs. I've lost track of the nuisance repairs. They claim there are no leaks and yet I put oil in it every couple of months. My extended warranty paid for itself many times over. My parting thoughts: Run, run from the Altima like your head is on fire.

3.25 out of 5 stars

AVOID THE 2.5L, You'll love the 3.5L

caseyh1, 01/30/2013
2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Nissan quality has went down hill since the 90's. The 2002 -2005 2.5L commonly has the head gasket go bad, before 100k miles. Mine went at 98k miles. If you pay someone it will cost you $1,600. Also it is possible that the forward catalytic converter will go bad, blow debris into your cylinders, and ruin them. WIth cloth seats, the drivers seat is rock hard. The seat doesn't support my thighs, causes pain. The Altima is supposed to ride stiffer and sportier than other cars, but on a really bumpy road it is just torture. The throttle is touchy it just lurches forward in stop and go traffic, I have to put the automatic into 1st or 2nd so I don't get whiplash. Wind noise on sunroof.

2.63 out of 5 stars

2005 Nissan 2.5 S Automatic

m_z, 12/01/2011
2.5 S 4dr Sedan w/SL Package (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

- This was the roomiest car I've ever really fit into as my previous cars, in order, were: Civic, Corolla then Passat (leased) and my first w/auto transmission. - Bought car in Sept. 2005 used with 20,001 miles on it. Found out it was previously owned by Enterprise Rental, but warranty was almost used up hence price ~6k below retail cost! - Had to buy an extended 3yr. warranty which paid itself off later. Then bought another final ext. warranty for an add. 3 yrs. later. - After many repairs years later, it still works but isn't that fuel efficient, 23/27 city/hwy but winter brings it down to 18/24 city. - Too many repairs now so won't consider another Nissan >:(