Used 2005 Nissan Altima Consumer Reviews

List Price Range

Used Altima for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons
3 out of 5 stars

Got screwed by Nissan again

nissancrap, 07/02/2011
3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have a 2005 altima SE 3.5 with 80K miles. It was a fun car to begin with and plenty of power and torque for a $25,000 car. But I had spent more monies on this crap even more than my 2002 BMW. I ran into the timing chain tensioner guide cracking issue @40K miles which I was lucky it still covered warranty. Many owners were not so lucky but have to pay close to $2,000 after warranty expired. But after Premier Nissan at Fremont, CA fixed it, the air conditioning stopped working. Took it back to Sunnyvale Nissan to get it fixed again. The car interior had some strange rattling sounds which the dealers thought it came from the dash panels and never able to eliminate it.

4 out of 5 stars

Very fun car. Reliability can be so-so though.

ace340, 03/22/2014
3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this car used in 2009. I have the 3.5 SE trim with pretty much all available addons. This car is very fast and handles extremely well, its a slick car. Good interior too, although getting a little dated in 2014. Unfortunately my reliability has been so-so and I've had to shell out some expensive repairs. Timing chain, Two O2 sensors, Crankshaft positioning sensor, Catalytic converter (OUCH!). I have 86k miles too, mostly freeway driving. When this car is up and running its a blast to drive, but reliability can be really spotty sometimes. The car does rattle sometimes too when driving, but nothing too alarming with the music on.

4 out of 5 stars

2005 Nissan Altima SE-R

David Davis, 09/21/2007
3.5 SE-R 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

This car is great! The way it looks and drives makes it the best sporty car I've ever owned.

5 out of 5 stars

8 years old, 148,000 miles, still happy

ronrn, 12/27/2012
3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

My 2005 Nissan Altima 3.5SE was the first NEW car I ever purchased, having only purchased used cars before. I have been very pleased with the car. I now have around 148,000 miles on the car and it is still running strong. I have not had any major problems. I have gone through the original set of tires and replaced the tires twice and need to go get new tires again. I first needed the rear brake pads changed at around 100,000 miles. The front pads needed changing for the first time at about 130,000 miles. I'm not sure how long I'll continue driving this before buying a new vehicle; earlier this year we replaced my wife's car with 2013 Ford Explorer (fully loaded Limited), happy with it too.

4.88 out of 5 stars

I love my 2005 Nissan Altima SE-R

Zack, 04/16/2010
3.5 SE-R 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I love this car. It has style, it has performance, it's economically feasible, and it is also reliable. The BOSE sound system is awesome. The red and black leather is totally unique. I feel like I am driving a German sports car rather than your typical Japanese mid-sized sedan. I bought this car right when it came out when it had zero miles on it, and now it has around 68,000 miles, and I have had zero problems with it. I plan on driving this car till the day it dies, which I do not think will be anytime soon. Thanks Nissan, you can pat yourselves on the back for making the 2005 Altima SE-R!