Used 2003 Nissan Altima Sedan Consumer Reviews - 432 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Nissan Altima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

A good car with some kinks
By Glenn J. darro

2003 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 03, 2.5 Altima with 38,000 miles on it. I now have driven it another 75,000 miles ( odometer reads113,000 miles). In that time my car has never failed. however, there were repairs. following is a list of those repairs:
2 motor mounts at about 60K
Coil at about 75K
Crankshaft position sensor at about 60K
Radiator replacement at about 60K
Fuel pump at about 90K
Pre-catalytic converter at 110K
I love the way this car handles. The engine is peppy for a 4cyl. but sometimes I wish it was faster off the line. It is definitely a driver's car, though. It handles winding roads like a sports car, and the braking is excellent The ride is not cushy, but that's ok. The seating is quite comfortable.

Never buy Nissan
By Dillon

2003 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a 2003 Nissan Altima with 165,000 miles on it about 4 months ago. In those 4 months I had to replace; camshaft position sensor, radio, 2 door handles, and alternator. Before the timing chain skipped a few teeth at 169,000 miles. It's just a money pit I'm getting rid of it. Anybody need a parts car?

NEVER buy a NISSAN!!
By Jo

2003 Nissan Altima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Worst, most expensive car to maintain I have ever owned. If the gas pedal sticks and then doesn't randomly, I'm afraid to drive this car. We have replaced so many parts I could not possibly list them all here. The dealer is NO help, they diagnose, take your cash and you're back in 2 weeks. This model should have been recalled!!! Car has been maintained since we got it with 32000. Looks nice, under the hood it is a real nightmare. Only foreign car we own, will NEVER get another Nissan. They should care about their customers before their cars kill us!!

Pain [non-permissible content removed]
By BreAnna

2003 Nissan Altima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this car for $7,000 126,000.. First 2 months about 120,000 miles, the timing chain went out and was about a $3000 fix. Now at 175,000 miles I've replaced the alternator 2 times. The engine covers most of the hood and fixing it is a pain in the ass, every time I bring it in its over $300 in labor just to get the engine out of the way. My winshild wipers go off randomly. And my radio stopped working and mechanics can't find out why. Time to go American made.

buyer beware
By Chris Moore

2003 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 SL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Bought the car with 28,000 miles on it and my wife put 40,000 miles on it in about 7 years. I kept the oil changed and tires on it with no real problems, except for the door handles breaking, until recently. First the engine light came on sporadically and I could feel engine hesitate. Got the code checked out and it's was somewhat generic (p0300) with up to five different system that could be the problem. I changed the plugs and ignition coils and the motor ran better but there was another problem. Took it to a garage and have the exhaust manifold and catalytic converter replaced. Cars running just fine again. One week later the oil light comes on and I add 3 quarts and I'm going to run the car for around 1k miles before I take it to get an oil change. Within another week or two the car starts sounding like the exhaust manifold is bad again. Before I can get the car to the shop it dies on the side of the road. Look at the oil and it's black with less than 500 miles since I put the 3 quarts in. The engine is now dead and I've already put around $2k into the car in the last 2 months. This really sucks for a car that I thought would last well over a 100K miles. I'll never buy another Nissan again. If you want to see all the problems with this motor look up misfires, exhaust manifold, and precat.