Used 2011 Mitsubishi Outlander Consumer Reviews - 25 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Mitsubishi Outlander Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outlander model:

Loved my car until transmission fail without warni
By Dana

2011 Mitsubishi Outlander ES 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl CVT)

I brought my 2011 Mitsubishi Outlander in 2015. It has been serviced to the owners manual. What the owner manual does not tell you is that CVT transmission oil has to be changed every 30,000 miles. Even when I went for my recalls back in May 2018 and also had service done at a Mitsubishi deal at the same time. Not once did they say the transmission fluid had to be changed. So, now today I am out of a car. No warning lights came on. My husband came to a stop for a red light and the car did not want to go up a little hill. And I mean little. I live in South Jersey. We did not have hills here. Please be very careful buying a Mitsubishi. Their transmission are very expensive and rebuilds do not have good reviews. If this was 2 days ago. I would I asked I love this car so much. Hell, I was planing on keeping it a few more years. The back door is great for older dogs.

Prepare to replace an $8K trans at low mileage
By Alison

2011 Mitsubishi Outlander SE 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl CVT)

I bought this car 3 years ago. I would have really loved it if there weren't so many problems that have plagued me since the day I drove it off the lot. Most of them, on their own, wouldn't be a big deal. But when they all pile up on top of each other, it made for a really stressful car-owning experience. I bought it used in 2015 and was very excited about it. Good things: lots of cargo space, handles amazing in the snow (the 2WD to 4WD option was one of my favorite features) decent gas mileage for the size, fantastic Bluetooth connectivity, comfortable, good visibility for a 5'0" tall girl. Bad things: (1) The check engine light came on the day after I purchased it (turns out the fuel pump was cracked and the Mistubishi dealer either didn't notice or didn't care), and basically has been on since, even though I've thrown over $1000 at different fixes. After two years, I just started ignoring it. (2) The vents for A/C and heat aren't properly controlled by the knob on the dash. I have to sit there and turn the knob back and forth until the car decides it wants to send the air out of the vents I want it to come out of. (3) the headlights don't feel very powerful - I honestly can't even tell they're on unless I'm on an unlit road by myself. (4) Most recently (AND MOST IMPORTANTLY!!!) the transmission failed at 120K miles for absolutely no reason. It was fine one night and broken the next morning. Wouldn't shift or go over 55 mph and didn't feel safe to drive. Took it to a trans shop and they said it had failed for no discernible reason, and that it had to be replaced with a brand new OEM transmission from the dealer. It has a very specialized CVT that Mistubishi doesn't seem to allow remanufactured versions of. So I either need to pay $8K to fix a car that's worth less than $6K, or scrap the car and lose all the value of it plus what I still owe on it. I called Mitsubishi and they said it's out of warranty so there is nothing they can do and it just has to be an out-of-pocket expense. I found out afterward that it's not an isolated incident other people have experienced the same thing. Very poor customer service, and I will not be buying another Mistubishi.

2nd Worst Car I've Ever Owned
By Seamus Train

2011 Mitsubishi Outlander SE 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl CVT)

Buying a 2011 model of this vehicle back in 2013 for $17k seemed like a good deal. I couldn't have been more wrong. The only car I've owned that was worse than this one was a 1986 Bimmer. I can't speak for the other trim versions, but the SE is complete garbage. The car had about 35k miles on it when we purchased it. It now has almost 200k and it's been a very painful journey getting this far. I'll start with the good points which aren't many: • it handles beautifully in the snow, • it has pretty good cargo space, • the third row seating is very handy, • attractive body design. Now for a list of all of the bad (repairs the car has needed within 5 years): • front wheel bearing needed to be replaced, • wiper motor died and had to be replaced, • climate control blower motor died and had to be replaced, • radio and bluetooth controls on steering wheel stopped working, • A/C has a persistent leak, • outer tie rod ends had to be replaced, • exhaust started to leak near the downpipe, • rear differential skips and causes the car to jerk badly at times when making a turn, • front end starts to vibrate and make a clanging noise at low RPMs at times, • one rear brake caliper seized and needed to be replaced, • vehicle staggers in traffic if the gas pedal is pushed down too quickly, • the car now burns through about a quart of oil a week and vibrates horrifically at red lights. Needless to say, we're ready to part ways with this vehicle now. Many people may say that you would expect problems going into 200k miles, but I have a 2007 Eclipse that has not had many of these problems and continues to be one of the best cars I've ever owned. It's also approaching the 200k mile mark. It still runs solid and seldomly gives me any problems. The 2011 Outlander SE has been the sole factor in my decision to part ways with Mitsubishi. At one time Mitsubishi made some of my favorite vehicles. It's a shame what the vehicle division of the company has become.

Fraudulent fuel mpg claims
By Jeff

2011 Mitsubishi Outlander SE 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl CVT)

I bought this car because I read it was the most fuel-efficient seven seater vehicle. I normally get 17-20 mpg. My biggest gripe is the poor design of fuel economy computer which automatically erases the average after car is turned off for 6 hour+.

Fraudulent fuel mpg claims
By Jeff

2011 Mitsubishi Outlander SE 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl CVT)