Used 2016 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport Consumer Reviews - 9 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2016 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outlander Sport model:

Authentic Japanese Import
By Bob S.

2016 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport 2.0 ES 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

Outlander Sport/RVR/ASX is the best small SUV available worldwide. This has excellent all around quality because it is built at their flagship factory/r&d center. This SUV feels very foreign compared to the competition. This is an authentic Japanese SUV built mainly for Asia and Russia as demonstrated by the voice activated system speaking in Japanese and the driver information screen originally showing Japanese or Russian before being reset. Paid less for a new Outlander Sport than I paid for a car in 2000. The only bad thing about this SUV is that it is only 96% made in Japan while the 2018 Outlander Sport is 99% made in Japan, and the 2017 Outlander V6 is 100% made in Japan. This is the best vehicle for quality and reliability I have ever owned.

Exceeding my expectations....A lot.
By DB

2016 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport 2.0 ES 4dr SUV 4WD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I bought the Outlander Sport ES with the AWC. I checked on several competitors and like the Jeep Cherokee, Jeep Patriot, Ford Escape, Honda HRV. The actual selling price for all of these was far higher (Thousands). In addition, the Jeeps have people complaining about reliability issues. I got the Outlander Sport with 4 wheel drive for about what a loaded Ford Focus would cost. The build quality of the Outlander is very good, body gaps even, paint quality is great. Interior is well laid out and nice. The seat materials look durable and though firm, the seat comfort is not bad. It is not a Dodge Hellcat performance wise, but again, It is better than you would expect from a 2.0 Four cylinder. When you add a 5 year 60 thousand mile bumper to bumper and 10 year 100 thousand mile power train warranty, I just can't figure out why you don't see more on the roads. I can recommend this great little crossover with zero reservations.

Best kept secret!
By Chuck D

2016 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport 2.4 SEL 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl CVT)

2016 Outlander Sport SEL. After looking over all the contenders in this type of vehicle none could come close to matching the low price of the Outlander Sport SEL. The SEL was better equipped and thousands less with a better warranty.( I paid 23k out the door for it ) The ride is comparable to the rest, though interior noise is a bit louder. As far as room goes I brought home a 65 inch smart tv in the Outlander and it fit no problem. Fuel milage is averaging about 27 and that is in hilly Kentucky. Best was 32mpg on a road trip to Chicago.

Great find!
By Lisa

2016 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport 2.0 ES 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

We were cruising through a car lot and said "what's that?!" It looked like something we couldn't afford but we were wrong. So far, we've really enjoyed this car. It's fun to drive and great in the snow. It also handles much better than our previous 2008 Honda CRV. Minor cons would be that the interior is very basic and the cargo space is limited. Overall, great value.

Why aren't there more of these on the road??
By Vermonster

2016 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport 2.4 SE 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl CVT)

Update: I've now have my car for a winter and spring and have nearly 15,000 miles on it and am still very satisfied with it. This car got me where I needed to go in all road conditions with no problems - but I should mention that I did put studded snow tires on for better traction when my road is icy. I would just add two downsides I've discovered. First, slush, snow or mud on the inner side of the rims can cause the tires to be out of balance and make the car to shimmy. When I wash it off, I still have to dig around the rims to make sure it is totally clean or it continues to shimmy. I may try different rims. Second, the low beam headlights create a distinct line so that only the immediate road in front of you is lit and nothing high (above car height) or in the distance is lit. You get good lighting only on the high beams. Those things aside, I would still highly recommend this car.

Original post: I've been looking at cars to replace my 2009 Suzuki SX4 for a few years now. That car's only good review was that it was the least expensive 4WD vehicle on the market at the time. But it is still running great with almost 160k miles and hasn't a spec of rust on it. Needless to say, because of that, I read expert reviews a bit skeptically. I've always liked the look of the Outlander Sport and, in doing my research, kept coming back to it despite the mediocre expert reviews (these reviews seem to place more emphasis on things that are not important to me anyhow). I finally bought one last month. Basically, I needed a vehicle to get me to work and back. I'm not going to be driving the Autobahn or loading up with gear or kids or am trying to impress folks with an overpriced luxury brand name. I need a dependable AWD/4WD car with good ground clearance because I live in Vermont and have to travel 2½ miles on a hilly dirt road to get home. This road turns to muddy soup in spring and, of course, we usually get lots of snow, ice, etc, for 5-6 months of the year. A Renegade and a VW Tiguan were in the running but both didn't get great reliability ratings from customers (I always read the customer reviews!). I didn't need any bells and whistles, but I ended up with the SE model and am having fun with the infotainment system and love the heated seats! I like that this car has the push-button mode of driving like my Suzuki that allows to you to easily switch from FWD to 4WD to 4WD low. I also like that there is a manual mode with the automatic. I can go down my road in 3rd gear and not have to brake or give it much gas. I don't notice anything different about the CVT shifting that the experts mention. There are only 6 gears (unlike the Renegade, which has 9) so that mean less shifting, I supposed. The MPG is about on par with the Suzuki at 25 mpg combined, but considering this has a larger engine, I'm okay with that. I need the extra power to get home much of the time. The car also just feels very solid - nothing tinny about it. My only low marks are because of the back seats. There is plenty of room back there, but they just aren't that comfortable. Fortunately, I rarely have backseat passengers. So, if you want a very reasonably priced, dependable, solid vehicle that'll be good transportation, this car is definitely something you should consider.