Used 2004 Mercury Mountaineer Premier AWD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A) Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used Mountaineer for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:
12345...6

Most reliable car I've ever owned.

Elaine Stone, 04/08/2016
Premier AWD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

I purchased my 2004 Mountaineer used in 2008. I paid way below book value, due mainly to the fact that it's somewhat of a gas hog and everyone was shopping for fuel efficiency at the time. It now has 190,000 miles on it. Just had new tires put on, new wheel bearings, and replaced a worn control arm. I have had zero mechanical or electronic issues. We did replace the back hatch panel at about 100,000 miles which I hear is common for those to crack. One hinge on the back glass hatch was replaced at the same time. I hit a 10 point buck in January of this year that garnered me a new hood, driver side headlight and fender, grill and front bumper. The Mountaineer took the hit, and I was able to drive it home! There was still way more value in the car than the repairs cost. I have the 3rd row seats and there is a ton of room for hauling kids, adults, and cargo when all of the back seats are folded down. The leather interior has held up well; driver's seat is starting to crack a little. The exterior is still nice except for a rust bubble forming over the passenger back tire and some rust on the interior back doors(?). The electronic "perks" are limited due to technology not being available at the time of production, but what's on it still works. I love this car and dread the day that I have to trade. I'm sad that there are no more being produced, but since the Ford Explorer is virtually the same vehicle, I'll probably go to that when I turn this car over to my teenage son.

'04 Mountaineer

Mountaineer, 10/07/2010
Premier AWD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

Bought this for my wife with 24k miles now it is up to 58k miles. Sure there have been a few things wrong but hey we got a warranty. I love the pwr and the ride this thing has when I drive it. It gives you a commanding feel of the road. It has road noise between 40 and 50. Also the rear window hatch cracked, you see it on a lot of Explorers and Mountaineers.

Rear End Defect

Seastar, 03/25/2004
Premier AWD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

With only 2300 miles on my top of the line Mountaineer, that new car feeling disappeared when the rear end developed a vibration during low speed turns. The dealer determined that the rear differential had a manufacturing defect and the entire rear end was dissasembled and overhauled. The 2- month old truck was out of service for 6 days. We're a little nervous about future problems, but otherwise we enjoy the many features, the good looks and the roominess of our Mountaineer.

Bad Transmission

Jack8351, 06/22/2004
Premier AWD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

My vehicle is actually a 2002 Mountaineer Premier. The transmission developed a stutter at 17,000 miles. It now has 63,000 miles and Ford has refused to take the vehicle back under the Lemon Law in my state. I would recommend the 4X4 or 4X2 Explorer, but NOT the AWD version of the 5 speed transmission.

Happy Mercury Driver

buggin, 08/27/2003
Premier AWD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

I have had this vehical for 3 months and have put about 8000 miles on it. I have driven it on gravel roads, dirt roads, and ofcourse paved roads. Have not haf the heart to go off roading yet but one of these days I will. The mountaineer has a smooth ride and a quiet cabin with easy access to all the buttons. Needs more cubby holes for junk. Easy access cup holders. Indash CD player is great. However, it lacks the ability to go backwards or back to the begining of the song at the wheel ( a bit nit picky I know). I really like the back up warning system never thought I would like it as much as I do.

12345...6