Used 2002 Mercury Grand Marquis Sedan Consumer Reviews - 45 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mercury Grand Marquis Sedan Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Marquis model:

Love the big merc !!!!!!
By Juan huerta

2002 Mercury Grand Marquis Sedan GS Convenience 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Want a good old fashioned American sedan with a bulletproof V8 and a smooth as silk transmission. Then look no further.

I see why these are so popular.
By Jacque Montague

2002 Mercury Grand Marquis Sedan LS Premium 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased one of these used, from the original owner, the car currently has 125,154 miles on it and still is in excellent shape both cosmetically, and mechanically. This car is very simple to maintain, and everything is simple to use, no fancy things like on modern cars, but isnt completely in the dark ages. Instrumentaion is plenty, and easy to read, stock radio is very good, and cassette deck is still working fine. The leather interior has also held up very well for being 15 years old and has no holes or tears, trunk space is absolutely massive! A perfect summer home rental for tourists! The 4.6L V8 is an excellent motor, and can get out of its own way when asked to, and I personally get about 18.5MPG in town and 26MPG out on the highway on 87 octane. Its been an excellent car, and I can see why they last so long, one of Ford's highest reliability cars/platform! I would recommend one of these to anyone who's looking for a smooth car, with excellent reliability, cheap to service, but still doesnt kill the pocketbook on gas.

Biggest Waste of Money
By lynn_m

2002 Mercury Grand Marquis Sedan GS 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this car a year and a half ago because of the raving reviews on this site. I spent $7,000 for a 2002 with 70,000 miles on it.
Now at 100,000 miles I have to put $2,200.00 into the car. The whole front suspension is shot.
Upper and Lower Ball Joints
Sway Bar Links
Idler and Pitman Arms
I am very disappointed in my investment. Also that car gets horrible horrible gas mileage. Probably 12 miles to the gallon.

Its comfortable

Don't Buy!

Pleasantly Surprised
By Chappy91

2002 Mercury Grand Marquis Sedan LS Ultimate 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I needed a reliable second car for the family and the dealership had this cream-puff on the lot. Garage kept, prestine condition. Have had it two weeks and am enjoying the 45 mile round trip commute to work. Surprisingly great gas milage, I use premium in the tank. Smoother than silk ride, corners like a dream. I definitely feel safe having my family in the car. I forsee many excellent years in this beauty. By the way, this is my first Ford...swore I would never own one...previously only owned Japanese or German...making a believer out of me.

Very comfortable ride, quiet, solidly built.

Cup holders are worthless except to hold change or cell-phones in.

Wish my Dad could have enjoyed this car
By Lennis

2002 Mercury Grand Marquis Sedan LS Premium 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I can't say enough good things about this beautiful car. I bought mine in February 2009 with only 56,000 miles on it and lots of garage time, so it is immaculate. What a pleasure to drive. Mine is the LS with the billboard size digital dashboard readings and all the bells and whistles. Though it is seven years old, everything works perfectly. Never and oil leak or a squeek or a squak. The ride will nearly put ya' to sleep. My worst MPG is 21.6 mpg and my best is 25.8. Nuttin' wrong with that. Love this car, and just wish Daddy could have seen it, as he loved Mercs! This is my first one after owning Dodges, Buicks, Olds, and Pontiacs.

Combo entry on door in addition to remote gizmo. Intrunk CD player. Leather seats. Beautiful digital dashboard. The mudflaps and chrome trim on the doorposts that the dealer added. All the adjustments you can make to the seats. Controls in the steering wheel. Roomy trunk thanks to donut tire.

I dislike the shotglass-size cupholders that are smack dab in front of climate control readouts. I bought a "real" cupholder at the auto store and secured it to the floor. Also, next winter when the roads are snowy, I am sure I will miss the frontwheel drive to which I have grown accustomed.