Used 2001 Mercedes-Benz M-Class Consumer Reviews

Used M-Class for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:
12345...17

Pros
Cons

Reliable family car

ahering, 09/20/2008
ML320 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Bought it with 35,000 miles and I have just put 37,500 more miles in 4 years. It had brand-new tires and brake-pads when bought and it is just about time to replace them. I have spent about $500 a couple of time extra for repairs (not regular maintenance) and my only complaint would be that I have to keep an eye on the engine oil level. If I drive over 70 miles per hour on a hot day, it will surely burn oil. Other than that I am pleased with this SUV.

Thought it would be better

lbf, 01/22/2009
ML430 AWD 4dr SUV (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

Great car until it hit 107,000. New power steering pump $1000. Next month emmission air pump $1400. Drove it 4 miles check engine light came on again. Must clean engine vents. Maybe cleaned externaly for $650. If that does not work - $2000+. m selling the car. Lots of little stuff goes wrong.

Great second car

Steve Reade., 03/02/2016
ML55 AMG AWD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 5A)

The 2001 ML55 is now a very dated car, but drives like crazy! Great daily-driver, but 15-18 around town is a little expensive. However, it performs like a sports cars with stunning acceleration, very tight handling and good, if Mercedes-style very firm seats and ride. It's a sports cars that can haul a lot of stuff for a small car. Good off-road, but I don't do much of that. I've had mine for 8 years (second-hand) and 70,000 miles (currently @125,000). Repairs can be pricey at MB, but a good independent can handle it. Back seat is OK for short rides, but too bouncy and hard for anything longer than 30 mins. Brakes could stop a train (Brembos). Fun fact - Porsche developed the Cayenne based on the success of the ML55. There aren't many available as fewer than 3,000 were made and maybe half of those made it to America. It's a great second car that has the performance of a good sports car, comfortable, great MB interior (if muted) and you can haul a lot of crap, if you have to. What's not to love? 2016: my beloved ML55 took a medium hard hit in the right front, and was totalled-out by the insurance company. Nobody hurt. Gone but not forgotten! @145,000 on thd odo. Really sad pulling my personal stuff out, and saying goodbye. Maybe replace it with an ML550 ...

A real man's suv

lukaspeedracer, 04/11/2005
ML55 AMG AWD 4dr SUV (5.4L 8cyl 5A)

I've driven several different SUV's and all were not what iIexpected at all, until I drove the battleship of all time. This ML55 AMG will do everything possible to get you from point A to B instantly with no hesitation, but it will cost you a little more in gas than most smaller engines. I am very happy on long trips with it. It's very comfortable and reliable. Drive it and you'll see just what im talking about.

9 Month Update

DSanborn, 10/06/2005
ML320 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

This is my 2nd review of this car. I just bought a 24' boat and I'm using the ML320 to pull it. I'm extremely pleased with the towing capacity of this somewhat small SUV. It pulls a 4600lb boat with no problem and I live on a large hill. The low gear is a great feature that works well. We have had no issues with the vehicle and it has been fantastic. I drove it 2200 miles across country without an issue. I noticed the battery comment in a previous review. Be careful - Germans don't like maintenance free batteries so you need to check the water levels in your cells or it will die with no warning. I'm really impressed with the capabilities of this vehicle.

12345...17