Used 2000 Mercedes-Benz M-Class Consumer Reviews - 138 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Mercedes-Benz M-Class Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific M-Class model:

Good SUV but needs work
By Keith

2000 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML320 4dr SUV AWD

First good things. We had some long trips and I'm surprised of it's gas mileage. I get 23-25 on freeways going 80 mph. Good pick up, good interior and nice when you order all options. We have owned this SUV from new and still owning it (17 years). Key is maintenance. Now the problems. All I remember is I spent many weekends at dealer's. They did the things they need to do but some problems weren't addressed. For example my sunroof has been rattling ever since. Okay after warranty, I took over the maintenance. Oil change/ATF fluid/Coolant/Gear oil/brake fluid. Spark plugs. Don't believe what they tell you ATF fluid for life. Most of the problems are sensors which caused lights to come on. Engine valve covers leaked so I had to change the gaskets. I had to change a faulty crank position sensor which caused the SUV to shut down at stop, a YAW sensor which will brakes on it's own, and a lateral sensor that leaves the infamous ESP/ABS light on. Battery drains fast through radio. Door switch have to be changed twice, and all door openers. Instrument cluster lights need changing as well. Things I have to bring to shops: AC and preventive water pump replacement. I can understand if you cannot do these things you'll have to spend big bucks so only buy when you can deal with it.

15 years with very few problems
By Bob F Deja

2000 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML320 4dr SUV AWD

15 years of hard city driving in Chicago winters. The exhaust, rear shocks, alternator are still original. I got it with 30k miles, all I did over the 15 years is a rear wheel bearing ($15 on amazon), a cam position sensor ($10, 10 minute fix) front shocks, window controls ($100, 1 hr fix), belt tensioner after 17 years, and the starter went out after 15 years ($150, 1 hr easy fix). That and fluids, belts, oxy sensors. I tow boats, cars with it easily, love it. Most things are an easy fix and easy to get at, the metal quality is superior, always amazed at how easily the bolts come out after so long and so much road salt. Unstoppable in the snow with Michelin LTX tires.

Original Owner now 17 years
By Eric Martin

2000 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML320 4dr SUV AWD

The best thing I can say for my 2000 ML 320 is that every time I test drive another SUV with the temptation to buy something new, I am more appreciative of my ML. The vehicle remains rock solid, and extremely comfortable. Granted, I only have 90K on it, but because it is from local use, I have put the interior through a lot of use. The leather seats were a wonderful choice, and are still flawless. Yes, there are sometimes repair issues, but over the past 17 years my average monthly cost has been well within the range of ownership of any premium vehicle. I'll probably drive my ML until the wheels fall off, and only God knows when that will be!

I love the car
By Alan Vance

2000 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML430 4dr SUV AWD

I WILL START OFF SAYING THIS IS MY FIRST MERCEDES. AND i FEEL i GOT A GREAT DEAL ON THE CAR FOR 2000.00,AND i HAVE ALREADY GOT MY MONEYS WORTH. AFTER 2 YRS AND HIGH MILES WHEN PURCHASED,IT HASNT GIVEN ME A PROBLEM ONE

2000 ML430
By Adam Campbell

2000 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML430 4dr SUV AWD

Car is a pleasure to drive. Purchased with 76k. ABS pump, ebay 46.00,mechanic 1000-1400 , ps rack 650.00 mechanic 1500.00, front pads, sunroof issues, catilytic converter broke in two, had it tig welded .overall very happy but I am fairly skilled DIY, don't buy if you are relying on dealer or mechanic to fix your maint. issues .