Used 1998 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Consumer Reviews - 58 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific E-Class model:

Colorado 1998 MB TD 300
By Colt Simmons

1998 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E300TD Turbodiesel 4dr Sedan

Extraordinarily Great car / very dependable... 32 MPG City and 34 HWY ... mine has 300k mileage on ... in Europe I’ve seen 500 to 750 k on them .... maintenance is key though ... MB dealer offered me lifetime oil changes and detail wax job 20 years ago .... every 6 months car is in for MB Service and detail. A keeper for daily drive.

A sleeping classic
By Jeff

1998 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 4MATIC 4dr Sedan AWD

This car's performance is amazing - wait till it gets to know you. Reliable, comfortable, classy and a driver's car. Easy to fix.

Very Low Maintance
By frank castle

1998 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E430 4dr Sedan

Not a single drive train problem in ten years. Not a single tune up problem. Original plugs replaced at 150 000 miles. 27 on the highway. My mechanic has warned me not to get rid of the 98 320e. He has several he maintains. Yes, the center arm rest is not perfect, but it is fine. Amazing how well the paint has held up. Ours is a bronze gold. I cannot think of a problem we have had with this car, our 10th. We did replace valve cover gaskets when they leaded. Just did a round trip Boston to Florida. Tomorrow I will drive 200 miles to NYC without a worry. We did replace the headlights when they became less than water tight. Not cheap. Roomie for five. Trunk more than adequate. The man who bought our car new bought a 430, so this is a very powerful car, but the 320E I have driven is more than adequate. the 320E V6 has 12 plugs and is quite smooth. I would buy another today if it had been super maintained.

Terribly Unreliable
By rchampaneri

1998 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 4dr Sedan

never ever in my life would i have thought to recieve such a TERRIBLE car.
1 month after owning it, the headlights wont turn off.
then the battery died.
seeing as im in high school i was ok with it sitting for a day or two.
but once i bought a new battery none of the electric component were working.
(radio, speedometer, gas gauge, windows, door locks)
i bought the car at 139k

cup holder and seats

center console, reliability, anything and everything what a bad car.

Mercedes Money Pit
By or_cagirl

1998 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 4dr Wagon

I bought this wagon in Portland from a European used car dealership a few years ago. It only had 105 thousand miles, interior and exterior in great condition. My previous car was a 91 Volvo wagon and lasted 20 years but with teens being over 6'2, the Mercedes wagon has more leg room than the Volvos.
Car ran well for the first year, then the mechanical problems started one after another. The cost for just an oil change is minimum $200.00. I paid $6000.00 for the car in 2010. Since then I have put over $10.000 into it in repairs. I spent less on my Volvo in the 20 years I owned it. I love the room of the E320 but the cost has been a nightmare. Caution before you buy!!!!

Seat 7 passengers

Sunroof leaks, no cup holders in the front, not a smooth/quiet ride