Used 1991 Mazda MX-5 Miata Consumer Reviews - 29 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific MX-5 Miata model:

91 Miata SE
By Bob

1991 Mazda MX-5 Miata Special 2dr Convertible

Very fun car to drive, handles well & comfortable after getting in. It reminds you of the classic British sports cars but without the problems & high maintenance.

My little red ride
By Christine Marie

1991 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Convertible

Its quite low to the ground. Overall for a 1991 its a sharp car. I absolutely love everything about it so far. Ive only owned it about 2 weeks but cant get enough of taking it out for a ride

Little Red Rooster
By Lee F. Philippi

1991 Mazda MX-5 Miata Special 2dr Convertible

These cars will run forever with the proper care and feeding. Not real fast or comfortable but best driving experience you will find for the price. Dealer service not real great, suggest you find a shop that has history with Import cars and has reasonable hourly rates. (75-85 per hour) Found the car a year ago sitting under a pine tree in someones front yard. Had been there for about 2 years but had been started and run on occasion. I had owned one about 30 years ago and loved it so there was no question as to if I was going to buy it. Got the owner down to $1200 and away I went. Car has 184,000 miles on it which is roughly 7,500 miles a year. I've put about $4,000 in parts ie: clutch, shocks, driveshaft and u-joints etc. So for just about $6K I've got a true classic roadster and... it's paid for

Fantastic car that is very fun to drive.
By face60

1991 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Convertible

I purchased my 91 Miata MX5 a year ago with 89,000 miles on it. My intentions where to restore the car within a reasonable budget and this has been accomplished. I had new front custom bumper added with new driver side fender, and trim mold plate in the rear replaced. I also had
new timing
belt, water pump, spark plugs, spark plug wires, front and rear axle, cv joints, upper and lower bearings replaced,
radiator flushed, and painted
As well as a new canvas soft top, Bluetooth radio, new seats and interior trim replaced. My total with the purchase of the vehicle came to $3,800 give or take a few dollars. The car is now mechanically and aesthetically sound for a very reasonable amount.

Replacement parts are plentiful and very reasonably priced. Highly recommend getting one piece top with glass as to make easier to put down and raise up the top. Driving and handling are spectacular in this car. There are no curves deep enough. The car zips along but does not have a tremendous amount of horsepower but it does not matter because the drive is an awesome experience. Love this car and plan to keep until it dies.

This car needs no improvements. It is a true roadster as a roadster should be. It is not loaded with a lot of frills such as power windows, locks, mirros, seat and so on, but it packs a lot of thrills in handling and driving. Just the basics in this car a/c, manual everything (a true roadster).

After owning it for 20 years, still a great car!
By wmshub

1991 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Convertible

In 1991, fresh out of college, I bought a Miata. I figured that I may be married with kids when I buy my next car, so this was my one chance to buy an impractical sportscar. I test drove a bunch, the Miata wasn't the fastest but it was easily the most fun to drive, so that was that.

It's been a great car! Not only has it been a lot of fun, with great handling and a peppy feel, but it's been incredibly reliable. Other than regular maintenance, the only problem has been a replacement of the clutch cylinders. Now here I am, 20 years later, this is still the only car I've ever owned and it's running strong.

Fun to drive, reliable, good mileage.