Used 2015 Mazda CX-9 SUV Consumer Reviews - 15 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2015 Mazda CX-9 SUV Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CX-9 model:

Th CX 9 Has No Idea its a Utility Vehicle!
By 11Bravo4X

2015 Mazda CX-9 SUV Touring 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

This is my second one (first was a '10). The fun factor is off the scale. Maintenance schedule presumes we all live in a dusty choking climate with a 4 month oil change - according to my dealer. Otherwise it has been fine, and needed nothing in the first couple of years. It is a pleasure to report that neither of my CX 9's required a trip back to the dealer to correct things from the factory. I knocked it a star for tire/road noise (common complaint on line) which is significant. The brakes are much better than the '10 - however, my wife's car is from Germany (!) and its all about braking. So in comparison it gets a ding. Overall, I must say that were I replacing this vehicle tomorrow, I would absolutely head for the row of CX 9's to pick my color! This is pretty amazing. I'm ask to update my Rating at a time that is perfect for me. Unfortunately my 2015 got "t-boned" and while the repairs were perfect, I had gotten interested in the turbo, and some of the goodies Mazda had added. My dealer made me a great offer, and I wound up in a 2018 Signature model. All I can say about that is WOW! I have about 4000 miles on it, and it's a great vehicle. Hard to believe I've had three or these, and they still perform, and excite just like the first one! Mazda has really worked hard to get this model into the premium class of family vehicles. I will admit that the turbo four, in normal setting, lags behind the 6 cylinder of the 2015. However, I am quick to point out that flipping the "sport" switch, changes everything! I promise this, you cannot drive this vehicle, and not like it!!

Mazda doesn't support the warranty
By Whelchel

2015 Mazda CX-9 SUV Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

Once again Edmunds has asked me to update my review. Mileage is just a little over 29,000. While the car runs OK, the MPG is 14.4 using Chevron regular and I have been driving about 30% of the time on the freeway. The wrinkles in the seats are worse than before. The front rotors were replaced last year, however, I feel the front rotors are beginning to have judder again. This means they need to be turned or replaced. I coast to red lights and stop signs then gently apply the brakes in order to keep the MPG from decreasing further and to reduce wear on the brakes. There have been no panic stops or being in a situation where the brakes are hot for an extended period so I don't know what is going on with the front rotors. Talking to Mazda about such issues is almost pointless. It took months to have the first set of front rotors replaced under warranty and my local Mazda dealer refused to do it - even wanted to charge me to test drive the car for the braking issue. I had to take it to another Mazda dealer out of my area. The transmission doesn't leak oil anymore and it really shifts smooth. I still would not have bought this car is given the chance again.

Edmunds asked me to update my remarks about my 2015 CX-9 Touring. It now has about 21,000 miles. The tires it came with were replaced as they wore out at about 20K miles. There has always been excessive wind noise, I thought it was the first set of tires but now the wind noise has still not gone away. The seats have a wrinkle issue that is getting worse and it really looks bad. I finally got a Mazda dealer out of my area to replace the warped front rotors and fix a transmission oil leak. My local dealer claimed they cold not find the leak that was dripping on my driveway and also refused to replace the front warped rotors under warranty. This local dealer also refused to test drive my car for the front rotor issue unless I paid $193 - really insane as I bought a NEW car for the warranty never thinking getting it repaired would be such a hassle. Gas mileage improved to 14 mpg, but it is still low compared to what Mazda states it should get. After tests on the consumption level, Mazda claims this is within standards - I don't think so as this issue is addressed at numerous sites on the internet. Engine is starting to burn oil. Just added .5 quart after driving about 2,000 miles from the last oil change. Driver's windows makes noise going down and Mazda refuses to fix. The rear trunk door doesn't close correctly. I had it adjusted just after I bought the car and it still is not closing correctly. The dealer wants me to pay to fix it - really annoying!!! Most recently the front seat belts would not retract and the buckle would get caught between the door and body causing damage when closing the door. I took it to my local dealer who demanded $140 to just look at the issue. To Mazda's credit, customer relations agreed to pay the dealer to fix this issue, however, it required almost one hour on the phone with Mazda to get the seat belt issue paid for. If I had to do it over again, I would NOT have purchased this 2015 Mazda CX-9.

This is the first review:

Issues that Mazda and its dealers have not corrected: Ongoing front brake judder that started before 12,000 miles and is still not resolved. Brakes make a grinding noise and the steering wheel shakes when going down hill and now the dealer wants $193 to just test drive the car once it passed the 12K mark. Three trips to a dealer to fix a transmission oil leak which is dripping and they state they can not find it but an independent shop found the leak in about 1 minute. Driver side window makes noises when it goes down and the dealer wants $129 to look at it and the car is under warranty. Both headlights were replaced when the clear coat came off. The Ford engine gets about 13MPG and shakes at idle. Dealer tried to put the blame on me for this stating I used the wrong kind of gas - it takes regular from the Chevron station down the street. Finally dealer admitted that the Ford engine has known issues. Rear door latch was fixed early on, then it is more or less broken again and dealer wants $125 to fix. The leather seats began wrinkling early on and Mazda fought me long and hard to save it self some money. Refused to fix the issue and gave me about a quarter of what it would cost to fix the seats as there is a suede like material in between the leather in the seats that wrinkled and could not be repaired without replacing the seats altogether. Dealer insisted that the 2015 CX-9 model had to have synthetic oil or my warranty would be voided. I called customer support at Mazda, told them that the manual states regular oil is OK. Mazda called the dealer and dealer agreed to use regular oil. Makes me wonder how many customers have paid for synthetic oil when they didn't need it as synthetic cost much more. I now regret I bought this car.

Basically an AWD car.
By JP Ludlow

2015 Mazda CX-9 SUV Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

While the CX9 has a nice strong V6, it is far too delicately built to be classified as a 7 passenger "SUV". Loaded up with 2 adults, 3 kids and a bunch of gear, braking is downright dangerous. Had both rear wheel bearings replaced(at least under warranty), but then there was an off/on squealing from the rear. Reviews all comment on how well the CX9 handles for an SUV, an it does, because its really a big car, not an SUV. The most irritating locking system of any car ever made. I should have thought better when my wife asked the salesman when she first saw it, "Is this considered an SUV or a station wagon!!" After 2 years traded it in for a real SUV (Toyota 4Runner) and couldn't be happier.

Amazing Vehicle
By Hal Gollos

2015 Mazda CX-9 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

Great driving vehicle. I feel comfortable and secure on long hauls. Keeps up with everything on the road and is a good looking car. With the three rows of seats there is plenty of room for everyone. My wife drives an Acura MDX and and sees no drop off in comfort between the two.

CX-9 all mine
By Ryan Perry

2015 Mazda CX-9 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

My CX-9 is great. The Grand Touring has plenty of bells and whistles. It rides great. Just enough room for the kids in the back seats. We love the DVD entertainment system. It rides great. I love the look. I'm very pleased with my CX-9.