Used 2012 Mazda CX-9 SUV Consumer Reviews

List Price Range

Used CX-9 for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

Great Find!

gr8sail, 01/27/2012
Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

I needed to consolidate cars. My 13 year old 4Runner died and while I absolutely loved my Infiniti M45 Sport, I decided 3 cars ('99 MX5 Miata 10th Anniversary edition) was one too many. I wanted the cargo ccapacity of the 4Runner and the handling of the M45. I got both in the CX9 Grand Touring. This car is great! Terrific handling, good acceleration (it's not the M45) and enough high end features and gadgets to keep me happy. Mazda understands the importance of good ergonomics. The dash and controls are laid out well. The leather seats are very comfortable. There is plenty of room, front and back, ingress and egress is easy. A perfect combination of performance and functionality

Love Love Love it!

nicclements, 01/23/2014
Sport 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

We bought this car new in 2012. I waited this long to review to make sure I just wasn't being reactive. This car has it all. As a 'soccer' mom, I'm constantly picking up and dropping of kids, swapping car seats, and running errand. The sliding 2nd row makes it easy getting car seats in and out, and fitting even adults in the 3rd row. The power liftgate is handy. There's plenty of room for fitting our 60lb dog and all our bags back there (though I would recommend buying a liner). This week was the first time really testing it on snow and it did great. Not only is it quick, agile, and fun to drive...It's just plain makes life easy. I recommend this car to everyone!

Top Notch Choice

sawyer98, 11/15/2012
Grand Touring 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

Purchased a 2012 CX-9 GT. I'm fussy about build quality. I didn't find a single quality issue with my car. Every seam, all the paint, every fit was perfect, inside and out. An excellent value and definite upgrade from others in it's class...and I checked them all. The 20" tires are "firm", but I expected that. Mileage combined has been about 23.5. Also what I expected. I leave the 3rd row folded down to increase capacity. No problem. My local dealer provided the best buying experience I've ever had. Service dept is excellent and every employee has been friendly and helpful. Maybe I'm just lucky?

Brake Booster - Your car won't stop

Cookie, 10/13/2015
Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

Mazda is having an issue with brake boosters in the CX-9. Mine failed today at 52K miles. I couldn't stop the car pulling out of the garage and rolled it into my side yard. I took it into the Mazda dealership, and they know there's an issue. There's a service bulletin, and they replace the brake booster for free. I can't believe they haven't recalled the car - this could cause a serious accident. There is an issue with the diaphragm in the brake booster failing in hot climates. I live in Ohio. It can get hot here, but give me a "brake" - literally. The dealership cannot tell me if the new brake booster has the same issue. I'm assuming it does since I've read about these failures happening in the CX-9 since this design was released. The car is at the dealership every 5K miles for maintenance - they didn't catch it there either. You'd think they would check since it's a recurring issue. I'm beyond disappointed Mazda allows the car to be on the road with this type of failure possible. I wouldn't buy this car again.

Mazda saved our lives

Jasmine Franks, 06/14/2018
Sport 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

Hi mazda Last Monday June 11th I was involved in a car accident in my 2012 Mazda CX-9. I want to say THANK YOU! for building an great quality vehicle. This vehicle saved my 3 children's life and mine. The curtain airbags deployed right on time to prevent us from injuring our heads. My kids and I were able to walk out that wrench with not even a scratch. Thank you for protecting my family.

Grand Touring Rocks!

crisrn, 08/01/2012
Grand Touring 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

We've had our CX-9 for just a week and we love it! It is very comfortable and it does not feel like we are driving a mid-size SUV. When going on the freeway, the accelerator is extremely responsive. The turning radius is surprisingly sharp, which makes parking in tight spots and u-turns effortless. The ride is also very smooth, even with the 20 inch rims.

Transfer case is a case for ownership transfer

J Lareau, 06/04/2017
Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

Transfer case failed at 34000 miles power train warranty is 36000 miles or five years

Mazda cx-9 Grand Touring awd

Donna G, 08/19/2015
Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

I love the vehicle and the mazda line of cars. The problem I am having is that I dont put a lot of miles on the suv and things are happening, things that I never heard of before in my life owning other vehicles, like; the heat shield bolts rusted off and Mazda had to put bolts back in to secure the heat shield $50.00 for 15 minutes. I think it should of been under warranty. I only had 30,000 miles on it. Then Sunday out and about my husband says something is wrong with the braks going to the floor. Today I take to service station and they tell me its the power booster unit. I call mazda and they say its under the extended warranty and it will be towed to the dealership from the garage. I only have 31,000 mile on it now. Then in the newspaper there is a recall on the suspension they can rust and come loose. when they had my car up on a rack they were showing me where my bolts rusted on the heat shield, they was a lot of rusted parts under my car!!! What else is going to go bad on my Mazda cx-9 Grand touring that I like a lot but might have to think about trading it in!!!

Fun to drive, but not so reliable

wv_mazda, 03/19/2014
Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

We have a 2012 CX 9 and have enjoyed it until it was slightly out of warranty. The car has a strong motor and for a third-row vehicle is pretty fun to drive. It also performs well in the snow. The brake booster failed last week at 42,000 miles, nearly causing a traffic accident for my wife. This is a recurrent problem with the 2010-2011 CX 9. My guess is you will have problems with 2013-14 models as they hit 30-50k mileage, since the brake system is unchanged. It is unfortunate Mazda chooses not to address safety concerns in a family vehicle. I would look at the Hyundai Santa Fe in this class.

Sporty and Large interior

Steven McLeod, 07/10/2016
Touring 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

We bought our 2012 CX9 used a year ago. It is nible and decent in the snow. It gets about 18 mpg around town and 22 mpg on the highway. We have not had any reliability issues. One thing though, it seems to burn synthetic motor oil, it may have been too thin. When I changed the oil using conventional 5w20 it fixed the problem. IT is room and nice for car pooling or sticking appliances in the rear. All in all very happy with car.

51050