Used 2015 Mazda CX-5 Consumer Reviews - 64 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2015 Mazda CX-5 Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CX-5 model:

Great car with a poor transmission
By Bruce Williams

2015 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Beware - my transmission had issues at 80,000 miles . Ultimately had to replace the entire transmission! This has a out of pocket cost of $ 4,600 , the skyactive is a maintenance free transmission, but has issues. Mazda dealer and Mazda corporation refused to help with repair cost since I was out of the warranty mileage (still within the years). This turned me off to Mazda as a whole and not a fan of the engine and transmissions Mazda puts in these cars. I have read lots of issues through forum threads on the internet. I sold my Mazda to Carmax to stay away from further high cost repairs - let me add that I take EXCELLENT care of my cars with maintenance, oil changes ect... good luck if you purchase a CX5

First Mazda for us
By Mike H

2015 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

We researched and drove Honda, Toyota, Hyundai, & Ford small suv's By far this was my choice in all categories. 2016 and after a year and 9 months, still feeling great would purchase another MS5 again.

I love my Mazda CX-5 was
By Laura

2015 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I have nothing but good things to say about the CX5. The exterior is extremely appealing; interior is comfy; handles extremely well, with a very smooth ride. The cost of the CX5 is much more reasonable than the luxury suv’s That don’t look as good or handle nearly as well as he CX5.

The Practical CX-5
By Alan Menasian

2015 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

This is a great overall vehicle! The cx5 did excessively well over the past winter in the snow including hilly driveways, and unpaved roads. You cant just thank awd but along with the tires it came with from the dealership it drove great! These tires were all seasons however typically you still need actual snow tires to get as much traction as these did, plus with awd i never had any issues. I do alot of 60 to 65mph highway driving and very slow city driving. Mostly a 50/50 split and I am getting 25.2 average mpg. Now this isnt babying it nor beating on it. There are times will i will take off a little fast or be rushing to work but if you baby it a little more than i do and do a good amount of both city and highway i could see getting 26+average mpg. I also went with the grant touring model as i wanted the leather interior, backup camera and sunroof. The sunroof was a I wont buy a car without one and the other things i wanted with the car ended up being of course in the most expensive model. Now the backup camera as well as lane departure warning is great. My only issue is sometimes the sensor picks up guardrails on typically on ramps and thinks it is a car and warns not to change lanes. However other than this every so often it works great. Now the best part about this is how practical it is. It has comfortably and relatively decent space for passengers. The back seats will accomodate car seats well, i am not sure if 3 wide will work as alot of cars dont usually either. However 2 should fit nice. You may have to put your seat up slightly however I drive close to the steering wheel anyways. The trunk space is a plus as it is good for small to medium grocery runs. You will have to stack a bit but it works. Now if nobody is sitting in the back then forget it. With a pull of a lever the seats fold down with a breeze and you will have the space of a small pickup bed. The heated seats work great, climate control is easy to use, it would be nice if it blew a little more forcefully. But thats why you have the moonroof to put back and enjoy the nice warm days. I also looked at the cx3 but it was just a little to small for me. I pack this car with lots of stuff as i lile to buy sell and collect alot of stuff (ALOT) Now for sportyness I beleive the cx5 looks sharp, i do like the newer styles front but not so much the rear taillights on the 2017 and up. The 2015 is just an all around smooth looking car. Rims may come with cool looking darkened specialty ones depending on the version. Mine did not but they are real rims and arent just fake ones with plastic covers like everyone used to have on their smaller cars. Acceleration in first gear starts off a little slow but when it goes into 2nd it beefs up and runs smooth. For highway driving one thing i was able to find in the manual is if you need to really speed up quick, push the pedal to the floor and then some, it will click and automatically down shift giving you a faster speedup.
- Now for CONS: Mpg could be a little better but it depends on how you drive and where you drive. When i first bought the vehicle i reset my average for i was curious how a 2 hr trip would go. With highway and main rds and very little back roads and stop lights. Usually a 35+mph drive. My average in this trip there and back was 29mpg! Now with lots of city travel it knocks it down. Still 25 isnt too bad, one key though is dont use cheap gas! My mpg went from 22.1 to 25.2 just by using better gas! I used 87 just once because i was in a pinch and ended up filling it up. I reset the average and it was 22.1 after my tank emptied. Now with better gas and 4 months of driving im at 25.2. You spend more but go farther. 3.1mpgx13 gallons= 39.3more miles. Over 1.5 gallons which which saved you more money than cheaping out. The headlights could be better. Im going to replace them with HID Mazda lights. Easy fix but wish mazda already had these. The 2016 and up models should now have them stock. Another con which i am looking to change which isnt a con if your car has it is the dash oard maintenance reminder settings. Mine is not equipped with this and i wish it did. Where you can look through mpg, average speed, mpg left there may be an option to see your maintenance reminders for oil changes, etc. There were 2 types of dashes model a and b. one of which does have and the other which mine didnt, did not. I wish they all came with this for the cx5. Being a larger suv, even though its not as large as the cx9 its something people take on long trips and vacations,etc. I think they should have had this option for all cx5s for it wouldnt have been outrageous to have them include it. The biggest con of all (JUZT BECAUSE IT SAYS NAVIGATION SYSTEM DOESNT MEAN IT HAS NAVIGATION EQUIPPED) It has the navigation display unit where the cd changer and radio is, however some do and some dont have the chip reader which has the maps which sends the info to your screen. I had to get it installed

Little red wagon
By HA

2015 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

This car has very good milage, 25 mpg, for its size and mainly urban use. We haul around a large dog in a kennel and it fits but requires putting the rear seat down. Performance is suprizing for a 2.5 liter in a vehicle this size. Realusbility has been great except for the radio/navigation system interface. I now use my phone for Waze. The electronic interface for the entertainment system is illogical at best. I quit using Pandora because I cinstantly had to reprogram or reboot it. Whose fault that is I do not know but the Mazda contributes to the chaos. Snow performance is great and it does well off road in fairly heavy mud. Remember that big dog I mentioned, a weimaraner bird dog, and the little red wagon will go where the birds are