Used 1998 Mazda 626 DX 4dr Sedan Consumer Reviews

3.75 out of 5 stars

Weak transmissions

Fenderroads, 10/18/2008
DX 4dr Sedan

I bought the car for my daughter in 1998 for her to finish high school and go off to college in. The car has never left her stranded, but the automatic transmission has greatly increased the cost of a higher education. I've had the transmission replaced twice, once at 55K miles, and again at 120K. The clutch packs appear to be the weak link in the transmission. I had to change the heater coil in 2000. I made the repairs myself one week end. I'll never do that again.

2.38 out of 5 stars

Mazda 626 Problems

Michael, 09/02/2008
DX 4dr Sedan

New 1998 Mazda 626 replaced a 626 that was totaled. Been nothing but problems. I'm an engineer, change oil religiously, chk tires etc. Auto transmission failure at 66K miles. Seems there was a design flaw in the tranny Mazda never fixed. After discovering this I didn't want Mazda parts used so I went to guaranteed for life tranny shop. Rebuilt transmission still running strong. Mazda refused to help with the costs as I used non-Mazda parts. Nothing but electrical problems. Factory car alarm goes off without any reason, windshield wipers slow. Turn sig. blinkers are fast then slow. Engine runs good but rest of car is a mess. After owning 4 Mazdas I've not bought another and will not.

4.63 out of 5 stars

Commuting 626

Vikefan, 07/02/2002
DX 4dr Sedan

Needed a car to commute 35 miles one way, wanted something stylish and good on gas. Toyota's and Honda's are so much more expensive, whereas Mazda is often the forgotten step brother! I bought it with 43K miles on it and at 65K the Alternator went out took it to the shop nearby. 24 hours later, the EFI valve went out,...suspicous,...And it was something I couldn't do myself , because Mazada would not release that part to the public yet. Anyway, it is a great commuter and decent sound system. Should've gotten the 6 cyl instead of the 4 cyl, not enough snort. My wife has a hard time seeing out the back, other than that very happy with it.

2.25 out of 5 stars

1998 Mazda 626 4 cyl.

slbtrekkie, 08/25/2002
DX 4dr Sedan

I bought a 1998 Mazda thinking I was buying Japanese reliance (i.e., Honday, Nissan, Toyota). Not realizing they are mostly Fords! Most parts you have to buy from dealership, now transmission has just went out (114,000). I have no idea how much repairs will be on that.

3.38 out of 5 stars

Don't do it!

never again!!!, 10/11/2002
DX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used about two years ago as a commuter car. It had about 36000 when I bought it. Now it has 78000 and the transmission is beginning to slip. After reading other reviews it appears as though my opinion of FORD quality has been reaffirmed, Fixed Or Repaired Daily. I am also geting a grinding noise from the driver side from tire. I had an older Mazda previous to this with no problems, but this car is awful. The Mitsubishi that I replaced had 170000 miles on it without ever getting the problems I am having with this car.