Used 1996 Mazda 626 Sedan Consumer Reviews - 56 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 626 model:

2001 Mazda 626 auto trans has a FORD transmission(
By Aldo Medal

1996 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car thinking I was buying a Japanese car. I was wrong. This model was made when Ford owned 33% of Mazda and made the huge mistake of trying to save production money by installing a Ford transmission. If you don't know American cars are ussually worthless after 100k miles. So I bought a 2001 626, thinking I was buying a used car with relatively low millage and that I should be hassle free for at least 6months. I was wrong. I haven't even had it for two weeks and it is obvious that the tranny will soon leave me stranded somewhere. A new tranny costs about 3k and it comes with a 10yr unlimited milleage from AAMCO. So if you do decide to buy this car negotiate paying around $400, cause you'll soon have to spend 3k on a tranny. Putting your costs at $3,400 which is about 1k over KBB price. I bought this car for $2,940 and was offered $200 by a privete party today. Learn from my mistake. I car's interior looks plasticky and cheap. Outside looks nice though.

The best I ever had
By JMP

1996 Mazda 626 Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I purchased this vehicle from a man in New Jersey who owned since it was new and he never had major problems! I had it for six years and never had major problems! I owned dozens of vehicles and this had been the absolute best car I ever had! This car now has 145000 miles and still drives like its brand new! Oh yeah, standard versions are a lot better than automatics! I love this car and I won't sell it for anything!

Great on gas, handles nice, and very reliable!

Needs more power!

Great Car 96 626ES
By vic miller

1996 Mazda 626 Sedan ES V6 4dr Sedan

When I bought this car in 1999, it had 60K miles. It's performed great and now at 345,000 miles it's still a performer! Other than routine maintenance (timing belt, oil/Valvoline, brakes, struts, radiator, etc.) it's never given problems and the fuel economy nears 30mpg. Its 5-spd manual transmission has never failed and its clutch I've replaced once.

Swift performance, maneuverability, leather interior, moon-roof, and sound system.

A/C

Reliable Used Vehicle
By Leif Wanager

1996 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

This was my first Mazda and I have been impressed with its performance and reliability. It's fun to drive. Great for a non-boring A-to-B commute.

It's quick. Takes tight turns. Good sound system. I like the electric-adjustable mirrors. Great air conditioning unit with "sway" feature. Handy cruise control.

I don't care for the "auto down" driver-side window.

Mazda 626 -- Very Reliable
By Jrock

1996 Mazda 626 Sedan LX V6 4dr Sedan

Bought the '96 626 V6 5-speed manual new in 5/96. I put 275K miles on it and running strong. Typical fatigue of parts with that kind of mileage, but nothing out of the ordinary. Original clutch, but I feel that starting to go. Has always been very quick and handles well. Only thing I've replaced repeatedly is the auto antenna

5-speed manual; leather interior; nice looking car

cig lighter right behind cupholder - not conducive to today's electronics; CD changer didn't last with car; power antenna motor continually breaks; road noise