Used 1992 Mazda 323 Hatchback Consumer Reviews

$778 - $1,838

Used 323 for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

A great basic car!

asb5, 07/02/2002

I had this car for almost 10 years, until someone hit it and totalled it. It was a great basic car: no frills, but very reliable and very fuel efficient (35-50 mpg highway). It has more room than one would think; we could stuff a lot into the trunk.

The Best Car I've Ever Owned!

Turtle Lady, 12/13/2015
2dr Hatchback

My '92 323 was my second Mazda (first being it's "father", the GLC), and I when I bought it, it was 6 years old and have about 100k miles on it. When the 4th cylander finally gave out, it had logged 243,000 miles. I trusted that car more than any other car I've owned, and would gladly buy another one without hesitation. When I see one on the road, it reminds me of mine and it makes me want another one even more. I'm 6' and don't fit into small cars easily, but I fit OK in this one. The GLC I had was smaller and I fit into it OK as well. I can't recommend this car enough and from the GLC, I've been sold on Mazda's. I know one day, I'll have another Mazda sitting in my driveway because they're THAT awesome and I know I can trust it to do everything it's supposed to do.

nice little car

jomurdo17, 05/20/2009

I bought a 1992 mazda 323 hatchback a couple of months ago and this thing is great it is very reliable it is surprisingly spacious and comfortable plus with the fold down rear seat you can store alot! it will get a little more than 300 miles on a single tank of gas these cars are priced around 500 dollars but it is worth much more I personally paid 300 for mine and it runs great they are underpowered with only 82 horse power but if you want an economy car to take you to work or something this is the car for you

Amazing little car

MommaK, 03/17/2010

We purchase this car from my son for $500 with 181,000 miles on it. It just starts and goes every time I ask it to. We just spent over $600 in repairs, but I know it's money well spent. This car is amazingly reliable, practical and fun. I average 33 mpg on the rural country roads where I live. It has the manual tranny and there's plenty of power for the hills and to pass the slowpokes. I call it my "mazda-ratti" and I love it.

Repeat Buyer For A Good Reason

Turtlelady, 01/26/2008

My most recent Maz, the '92 323 wasn't anything fancy, but it was practical, economical, fun to drive, handled perfectly, and it ran and ran and ran until recently, after 9 years (I was the second owner), it finally quit with 242,500 miles on it...and 3 cylanders. Yes, it had every right in the world to die, but it was the most reliable car I've ever owned (next to the first Maz, the '80 GLC--older version of the 323). I couldn't recommend a better, more reliable car than a Maz.

First Car

Kevin, 11/11/2009

My father bought this car for me for $100 and at first i thought that it would be beat up and unreliable. I was wrong, this car is very reliable and the gas mileage is great. I am currently in high school so don't wish to spend all my money on gas. I love the car so much I even named her "Rhonda"! The only thing that went out was the distributor but it wasn't a big deal. This car is great and perfect for a first car. So far , the mileage is 156,799.

The King of reliability

sani, 07/09/2002

This is the most reliable car i've ever had.150,000 miles on it. Never had any problem with engine or trany. Best car for the money.

economic champion

henrico miller, 07/12/2002

Not only is this car easy on the wallet when it comes to repairs and fuel efficency, it is also fun to drive. The car handles well and has quite a lot of pep. The people at Mazda kept in mind the fact that people on a limited budget like to have fun while driving too.

The most reliable basic car

Jeng, 11/12/2002

I bought this 323 in 96 with 35,000 miles on it. Never had problems with the engine. Just regular oil changes.. and the car keeps going strong. This is the most reliable basic car I've had. Highly recommend!!!!

A RELIABLE LITTLE WORKHORSE

LUKE, 07/16/2003

This car never let me down. In the 11 years I own it, I didn't have one breakdown. Note I maintained it 100% myself, so I know exactly what has happened to the car. Excellent fuel economy, very good performance. I love this little car!!!

A Great Pod

A Driver, 04/14/2003

This car has never done me wrong. Had it for 9 years, and the engine always turns over. The only maintenance I've done are the usual - CV joints at 75,000 miles, brakes and tune-up at 100,000, exhaust here and there.

A Great Idea

Jeff - Richmond, 02/07/2003

An affordable car with plenty of payload, plus easy handling, plus great gas-mileage, with no frills. It's a shame they discontinued it.

Great car

Scott Maish, 02/21/2003

I inherited my 1992 Mazda 323 from a family member in 1998. I was not fond of the car initially, but now I am very impressed. I have abused, not cared for, not maintained this car at all and it won’t die. It keeps on running no matter what I do to it. Also it has to be one of the cheapest cars to maintain. I bought 4 new tires for $90. My Chevy Blazer tires are $140 a piece. Not stylish, very reliable … good car.

Great Little Car

baz, 03/12/2008

I bought my 323 with about 90,000 miles on it and in 3 years of driving it's been a little tank, totally reliable. Always starts, no matter how cold (and it gets darn cold here in Canada). Nothing but tuneups and normal maintenance, brakes, tires, etc. It's an ugly little tub but totally reliable, fun to drive and gets great mileage. It's actually my 2nd 323. The first one ran up 360,000kms (216,000 miles) before getting totaled in an accident. I'll probably buy another one if I ever get rid of my current 323. Cheapest to run, most reliable car I've ever owned.

Excellent Little Car

CM, 05/21/2008

I bought this car for $2000CDN from a previous owner with 187,000Kms on it. Other than the fact that he was a smoker, which took me about a year + to get rid of the smell, it's a fantastic car! It is/was my first car, cheap on gas (I had to commute over 220kms/day at the time for work), great handling, solid on the road, versatile for packing and loading with gear for anything you want to do! I've had it 3 years (63,000kms), and although I could afford a much nicer car now, I will drive this car until it dies because I love it! And the way it runs, that'll be a long time from now!

Great car