Used 2011 Lincoln MKX Consumer Reviews

Used MKX for Sale
Select your model:
12345...8

Pros
Cons

Unreliable, expensive, poor ride quality.

FrankC, 05/22/2017
4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

People should know that the MKX is not a good car. This is not my first Lincoln. I had a 90 Town Car that I drove a quarter million miles before trading it to the dealer for a Navigator that I drove for 385,000 miles. I still own my 1998 Mark VIII and that car is incredibly reliable. Not incredibly reliable for a 20 year old car, but just plain reliable; it's as good as a new car, and far better than the MKX. The MKX has problems that are well-known with the touch screen. The software is poor. The hardware is unreliable, though ford extended the warranty for the FCP. But it's not just the navigation and entertainment system that's awful. I had an oil pressure problem that cost $500 to fix. The PTU went bad, which costs $2,200 to replace. There are articles on the Edge/MKX forums about people having problems with PTUs that fail anywhere from 50,0000 to 80,000 miles. The panoramic sunroof sticks. The dealer says that it's normal but there have been times that I've had to pull it closed while holding the close button. I just don't use that expensive option anymore. I've been seeing a lot of people complaining about water pump problems. In ford's genius, they put the water pump BEHIND the timing chain cover so that when the seals fail, the coolant goes straight into the oil pan, displaces the engine oil, and destroys the engine. If you get lucky and look very carefully at a small hole near the alternator, you may see the start of coolant weeping and have the water pump replaced ($2,300) before it fails. Or, like most people, not see any signs of problems until the pump fails. New engine: $7,000. The Internet is your friend, search for yourself and see how many people are having problems. The problem with these issues is that the PTU is used on all the all wheel drive fords, the water pump is in the same place on many of ford's V6 engines. The scope of the problem is massive. Just buy something else. UPDATE: Edmonds sent an email requesting an update. My MKX was totaled on 31 Aug by a pickup truck that was out of control and rammed me from behind at 190,000 miles. Overall, I did no major repairs from 140,000 to 190,000 and only replaced a few sensors, which were inexpensive, as well as all of the calipers when one of them seized. I was lucky that the water pump seals never let go. The PTU problem can be avoided if the gear oil is drained and refilled at every second or third oil change. That's not an easy task because there is no drain plug, but changing the oil frequently will save a $2,300 repair bill. Gear oil changes will keep the PTU from failing, but there's no fix for the vent problem that causes gear oil to drip onto the exhaust pipe that's under the PTU. I guess the driver that hit my MKX did me a favor. I'm done with ford forever and am now driving a Mercedes Benz E-Class that I love more than any other car I've owned in the past 20ish years.

Excellent Value, Enjoyable Drive

david2506, 07/27/2012
4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

Great ca, enjoyable drive, nice tech stuff, but a glitch with the radio antenna. Turns out Linc. received a series of defective ones for the MKX from 2011 forward. Finally fixed by replacing the defective one with an antenna from Edge-same part numbers but different. I drove a 2013 model during the final replacement. Its antenna was worse.

Great Car

Dennis, 10/28/2010
4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

I have gone from 4x4 Ltd. Explorer and feel the MKX pulls my 17' Fishing Boat better than the Explorer. I love "My Lincoln" technology and being able to do most functions from direct line of sight using the steering wheel controls. I have 2,400 miles and computer/math checks indicate 22.1 mpg average for my city / highway use. The 3.7 Engine takes western MI hills without downshift in most cases. I have found no body defects during hand waxing. Great car!

SYNC my ride

JRboca, 11/14/2010
4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

Only had a few weeks! Gotta love the electronics inside this car. Got just the basic car which was loaded but no nav. Not sure why you'd want nav since they give you turn-by-turn nav free for three years. The Sync system is better than ever (I had an 08 MKX) I've found I'm a much safter drive with Sync. Love the MyTouch system. Initial commuting mileage is about 22 so I'll take it.

nice vehicle except shoddy build quality

mcgyver64, 09/26/2011
4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

Engine has plenty of power. Comfortable seats, Ride is quiet and comfortable on smooth roads but gets a little harsh on bumpy roads (probably due to the 20" wheels). Rims are not chrome plated aluminum as stated, seems to be some type of wheel cover over alum rim. Overall build quality is substandard. Doors and tailgate do not line up properly. Center A/C vent not installed properly is crooked. Rain sensing wipers occasionally wipe when no water is present. Bluetooth is unreliable with my Blackberry which is on the MYSYNC compatible list. This is my 18th new vehicle and first Ford. Overall I'm disappointed and would probably go back to Cadillac or Mercedes next time

12345...8