Used 2011 Lincoln MKX Consumer Reviews - 32 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Lincoln MKX Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MKX model:

Super Comfortable SUV
By Rebecca

2011 Lincoln MKX 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

This Lincoln would have been rated perfectly in every category but the controls are frustrating to me. I know they look sleek but they aren’t functional. The slide idea doesn’t work nearly as well as a knob does!!! Other than that it is a fabulous ride!

Terrible engine broken at 74K
By PattyG

2011 Lincoln MKX 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

I bought this "Top of the Line" Elite Package car used, looking almost brand new in October 2014 with about 28,000 miles. Less than 50,000 miles later, and it is now September 2017; and the engine needs to be replaced... $7,100 - $7,200. Are you kidding??? That is unacceptable. Oh, and the dealership never heard of this problem happening!!! Really ???? After reading numerous articles through various forums about Ford Edge and Lincoln MKX engines, I see that this is a huge problem. There is NO way that any Ford or Lincoln dealership is not aware of this happening. I purchased this Lincoln after having owned a 1999 Mercury Mountaineer Premier which was a terrific vehicle. It seemed like a good idea even though it was extremely disappointing that the Mercury brand dissolved. Shame on the salesman who took me on that trade-in and then sold me a junky MKX --- no quality.

Update: 3/31/18 - So, ever since the engine was replaced(October), there has been a rattle ( a sound like a wire rattling around ), mostly above 65 mph, which is why I did not hear it until traveling on the interstate. The mechanic shop that I had the engine replaced is a 1 to 1/2. hr. drive, and I work full-time, so going back to that shop was a mistake to begin with and something I am unable to do now. I went to the local Lincoln dealer where I had originally purchased my car to have an oil change and check this noise. Of course they saw nothing, and said to come back if it continues. I had told them that you do not hear the noise until going over 65 mph. And I cannot spend another couple of hundred dollars on yet another car rental for mine to be in the shop and "hope" they find the rattle. So my rating of this vehicle continues to be poor. When I finish paying it off, I will certainly be getting another vehicle and it will not be a Lincoln or a Ford.

Unreliable, expensive, poor ride quality.
By FrankC

2011 Lincoln MKX 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

People should know that the MKX is not a good car. This is not my first Lincoln. I had a 90 Town Car that I drove a quarter million miles before trading it to the dealer for a Navigator that I drove for 385,000 miles. I still own my 1998 Mark VIII and that car is incredibly reliable. Not incredibly reliable for a 20 year old car, but just plain reliable; it's as good as a new car, and far better than the MKX. The MKX has problems that are well-known with the touch screen. The software is poor. The hardware is unreliable, though ford extended the warranty for the FCP. But it's not just the navigation and entertainment system that's awful. I had an oil pressure problem that cost $500 to fix. The PTU went bad, which costs $2,200 to replace. There are articles on all of the Edge/MKX forums about people having problems with PTUs that fail anywhere from 50,0000 to 80,000. The panoramic sunroof sticks. The dealer says that it's normal but there have been times that I've had to pull it closed while holding the close button. I just don't use that expensive option anymore. I've been seeing a lot of people complaining about water pump problems. In ford's genius, they put the water pump BEHIND the timing chain cover so that when the seals fail, the coolant goes straight into the oil pan, displaces the engine oil, and destroys the engine. If you get lucky and look very carefully at a small hole near the alternator, you may see the start of coolant weeping and have the water pump replaces ($2,300) before it fails. Or, like most people, not see any signs of problems until the pump fails. New engine $7,000. Google is your friend, look for yourself and see how many people are having problems. The problem with these issues is that the PTU is used on all the all wheel drive fords, the water pump is in the same place on all of ford's V6 engines. The scope of the problem is massive. Just buy something else.

Lincoln mkx
By Elaine gwalrney

2011 Lincoln MKX 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

Great car. No 2 favorite i had had in lifrtime. Excellent support service department at mcdavid dealership. Bought at end of model year and think i paid toi much. Probably will get another one. Navigation too complicated

Pros and Cons
By Walt

2011 Lincoln MKX 4dr SUV AWD (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

Pros. . . Very comfortable heated and cooled memory front seats. Especially comfortable and workable for my handicapped wife. Looks good, people often comment on what a "nice looking vehicle" it is. Cruise control is very good; will keep you within a few mph of setting whether going up or down grades. Back up camera is very helpful. Cons. . .GPS is a disaster. It will not respond to owner manual instructions to set up destinations, whether by voice or touch. Plus the route it takes you on to get somewhere is very often miles out of the way. Not even a close match to a simple Garmin. Has expensive to fix quirks like check engine light. Even though we have the "full" warranty, the dealership charges us $100 to use the warranty, and repairs are often "not covered." A simple 100K check up cost me almost $1,000 because a little problem (their words) was not fully covered under the warranty. We bought the vehicle used and got the full extended bumper to bumper warranty (so we were told). Guess they are not dealers of their word. Touch screen has its issues as well. If I touch the Navigation screen to look ahead for turns it will respond and jump ahead, however when I touch to return to where we are on the route, it tells me that it will not respond when the vehicle is moving. Really? It just did respond, but now it will not and it leaves me lost for the moment. There is a setting in the electronic section that says it will memorize certain of your settings. Sometimes it loses its memory. Example, you are supposed to set a temperature you like and by touching "My Temp" on the dash, it is supposed to go to that setting. It will not keep that setting, no matter how many times I follow the due process. Since first posting this, more electronic problems have arisen. Presently in the midst of having the passenger door handle replaced. Getting "Passenger Door Ajar" warning light, even though the door is not ajar. This replacement will cost approx $500. I understand it is a common problem. Shouldn't Lincoln cover this with a call back? And the list goes on. . .