Used 1999 Lexus GS 300 Consumer Reviews - 41 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1999 Lexus GS 300

Base 3.0L 6-cyl. 5-speed Automatic - (41 reviews )

My GS
By vusford1

1999 Lexus GS 300 4dr Sedan

My Lexus GS 300 is by far the must durable automobile I have ever owned. While this has come to be expected from Lexus, I am still impressed with its reliability. However, the rest of the car is not perfect, as acceleration is just as mediocre as when I bought it in 99, and the interior is not particularly roomy. The car does handle decently well, however, but don't expect a canyon-carver, like a 5-series.

Luxury, ride quality, reliability, interior quality.

2nd row leg room, acceleration (has been improved on redesigned model), a little more head room.

Can't buy new? Certified is A-OK
By Bijou

1999 Lexus GS 300 4dr Sedan

It is a great car. The higher price is worth it in the long run because it saves in repairs. I've had no problems since I bought it in 2001.

In one word "style". I also love the color. Cinnabar. It's alive.

I think they've made them all in the last 8 years.

Hard Act To Follow
By JohnK

1999 Lexus GS 300 4dr Sedan

Bad news for anyone looking to buy a 1999 GS 300, you can NOT have mine! I have spent over two years looking at possible replacements but know I won't be happy with anything else. Also, once you have been to a Lexus dealer for service, all of the others are second class. We bought the car pre-owned, commuted in it 60 miles/day (Washington DC) for 4 years and at 115K miles it still seems new inside and out. Interior materials are first rate especially the wood.

The Lexus ownership experience is great. 10-way power driver and passenger seats. Power tilt/telescope steering wheel. The paint. The wood.

Since it's too late to expect improvements in a 9 year old car I'll just alert you to two performance issues. The car lurches when you first press on the gas. It is hard to start off smoothly. And on the flip side, the brakes are late to grab, annoying in stop-and-go traffic.

How can you not love it????
By Wonderful GS

1999 Lexus GS 300 4dr Sedan

I bought a 1999 GS 300 last year. Absolutely love it. No quality problems, great looks, superior reliability. Everyone who sees it says it looks like a 2005.

Body style, great sound system, ride quality, acceleration

NONE

Bad Choice
By Austin Hansen

1999 Lexus GS 300 4dr Sedan

I was excited when first buying this car, but then it was all downhill from there. The interior lack any bit of luxury. The seats are hard and uncomfortable especially with lumbar on. My kids absolutely hate the back seat beacuse there is little to no room in the back even with the front seats forward. Another thing, one sunny afternoon, I couldn't get the car to start, and I had to try three times to get it started. I say sunny because most of the time, the car won't start when it is cold or wintery weather, but this weather was fine! I have no idea why. Also, many things inside the car are not as tight as they should be. When I bought the car, the front passenger seat pocket was stretched.

I like the reliability, that is all.

Basically everything! Probably will trade in for Audi or Mercedes also because when shutting front door, rear door rattles a lot.