Used 1999 Lexus GS 300 Consumer Reviews - 41 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1999 Lexus GS 300

Base 3.0L 6-cyl. 5-speed Automatic - (41 reviews )

Excellent Used Car
By k_cubed

1999 Lexus GS 300 4dr Sedan

I bought it at 94,000 in 2009 and I've driven it for a year now for both local driving and couple of road trips. It is an excellent car for all purpose and is incredibly comfortable. Brakes are something to get used to and the gas mileage isn't great. I've taken it to Lexus dealer for maintenance every 5,000 miles (which is quite costly) and I haven't had to do anything else. I'm definitely hooked on Lexus now.

Comfortable ride. Great sound system. Overall, very well built.

Gas mileage is an issue. But given its comfort and acceleration, I'm willing to live with 17-22 MPG.

Life time Lexus
By Orlando

1999 Lexus GS 300 4dr Sedan

I also purchased a 1999 GS300 at an Orlando car auction in 1999. the car had 1600 miles and was 3 months old. Eleven years later it has 68,760 on odometer and I still love how it handles. However the earlier post was correct (The car lurches when you first press on the gas. It is hard to start off smoothly) Have learned to press pedal easy when starting off.

Style, sporty front end and luxurious rear end. Love straight six engine, smooth and quiet with just a hum when accelerating. Beautiful paint job.

More headroom and backseat space thou it's rarely used. Wish someone could simply solve (lurching) from stop to start.

Best car I have ever owned
By SF_ftbl

1999 Lexus GS 300 4dr Sedan

I bought it with 2K miles. The feature that hooked me and I still use to this day is the button to roll down all the windows and open the sun roof from outside the car (comes in handy on those very HOT days). The car now has over 120K miles and all I have had to replace was a timing belt (100K) and a starter. A few years back I started looking for a replacement but could not find anything I liked so my wife let me "PIMP" the ride. I added a really cool kit to it and had the outside repainted the same Zinnabar Pearl. Added Halo headlights and a chrome grill. No one can believe it is a 99'. It is a head turner, but I know I will have to sell it one day.

Rolling down the windows from outside. Head turning good looks (red color). Reliability going on 10 years only two problems.

Better fuel efficiency. Don't like the newer design, seems smaller so I didn't buy it and kept this one.

Personal genuine ratings of Lexus GS300
By Galant

1999 Lexus GS 300 4dr Sedan

In general terms I'm very happy with this car and it's a great long distance tourer. By far the greatest quality of this vehicle has to be the beautifully smooth, quick well made, and durable engine. In short I have driven many thousands of happy motoring miles in it and it has proved to be the most reliable car I've owned up to date.

Engine, and interior lighting. Seat adjustments and comfort.

A more frugal GS 300 model would have been very welcomed, one that can return 25 mpg + in all conditions. Better brakes would help a lot as car brakes can feel rather too spongy at times. A more detailed comprehensive owners manual, with better clarity of the cars features would be welcomed too.

Just bought a 10 year old GS
By jlmg

1999 Lexus GS 300 4dr Sedan

I found a very good deal on my GS300. 10 years old and only 64,000. Hard to believe it is 10 years old. Everything is still tight with no creaks or rattles. Fun to drive and very reliable so far.

handling, build quality