Skip to main content

List Price Range

Used Defender for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons
1 out of 5 stars

Don’t give in to the “coolness” factor

BCDazzle, 08/09/2021
2020 Land Rover Defender

I was so excited for the new LR Defender to be launched. I purchased a new 2020 Defender S with lots of added features. The car itself is pretty jaw dropping when you first see it. It’s a big car, with impressive technology and a “cool” interior. Once you drive the car for a couple thousand miles the appeal starts to wear off. It’s too big to go into many parking garages, the heated windshield doesn’t work, the fabric material on the seats was losing its color, and the pivi pro system is constantly showing imperfections. At first the ride seems impressive, but then the “clunkiness”of the car really started to bother me. It drives like a school bus around corners. It also gets a whopping 10-12mpg city and the best I ever got on highway was 20mph but I’d say average was 17-18mph highway. The car itself wasn’t the only problem, LR service centers are absolutely horrendous to deal with. I was always told LR has terrible service but decided to gamble anyway and buy the car. They scratched my car several times when it went to the shop and had to send it to detailing. They also took days to resolve issues that should just take an hour or two. They don’t have any loaners so you have to pay for a rental car if they have your car for over 24 hours… ridiculous service. I would never recommend Land Rover/Range Rover to anyone. Stay away from the Defender until they get the kinks figured out (which may be never considering the amount of issues I’m seeing on forums). If you have interest in buying this car please do yourself a favor and join forums on Facebook - you will see just how poorly made this car is by all the problems people are reporting.

Love hate relationship

Frank, 06/20/2021
2020 Land Rover Defender 110 P300 S 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

I fully believe you are more likely to find negative reviews of any vehicle. It’s standard human psychology to complain when there is a problem and to say nothing when everything works as expected. As such, I am confident most of the thousands of new Defenders are working fine or at least well enough that their owners are not posting about glitches. That being said, here is my story. Took delivery of my 2020 in September 20. Had no issues requiring return to the dealer for 9 months and 10K miles of daily driving. Like many others, my issue is electrical. As an aside, this is my third land rover and I have somehow avoided major electrical gremlins in the past. My 01 discovery is still running great. Anyway, the issue can develop when the vehicle is driven for at least two hours and is restarted after a short stop. Upon restart, the lower controls (which control ventilation and air-conditioning among other things) and the door controls do not work. As a result the cabin has no ventilation whatsoever and the windows won’t roll down! Since it only occurs on longer trips, I am more than likely far from home when it happens. Most recently I was on a family trip with children and pets on a 90° plus day well over 100 miles from home with hours further to drive. The closest Land Rover dealer (which is the only one the warranty will tow you) told me they could not see me for over a month! My particular problem goes away if you allow the vehicle to sit turned off for over an hour, presumably allowing the bad component to cool. But that is clearly not a viable option on long trips. Worst, it does not happen every time. To date it is only happened twice but when it does, it’s a biggie. The vehicle is currently in my local dealer where it has been for about a week and a half as JLR engineers speculate on the issue. I had purchased this vehicle to actually use it for overlanding as it is supposedly intended and was to take it on a 5,000 mile trip next month. Who knows if I’ll even have a vehicle back by then or if the engineers will be able to correctly diagnose what the issue is. There was no one more excited about this vehicle than me. I was one of the first to order, which I knew was a gamble. In every other regard it’s a wonderful vehicle and extremely capable. But if you can’t reliably get air to breath inside the cabin, it’s essentially useless.

4 out of 5 stars

Love it... but mine has a glitch

Some Guy, 10/13/2020
2020 Land Rover Defender P300 110 S 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

I pretty much love everything about the Defender. I’ve had it for 10 days, put 700 miles on it, have driven on everything from interstates to off road, have taken five 10-year-olds on a field trip, and have towed our 4000 lb camper. It’s been great in every element it’s been in so far and is surprisingly smooth while doing it. However, I’ve found the glitch (all Land Rovers have at least one, I suppose). The center row climate controls don’t work. It’s going into the dealer next week to see if they can figure it out. Fortunately, our local LR dealership will pick it up and give me a loaner until it’s fixed. Otherwise, it’s amazing. I ordered a lower spec model, and I’m surprised by the features I keep finding. Not only do I like it, but my wife and kids like it too and aren’t embarrassed by me when I pick them up from school. For the budget my wife gave me (under $65k), I couldn’t think of anything I’d rather have than my Defender. So far, it seems like it can do it all (except blow air in the middle row).

Parts Unavailable

Disappointed Owner , 03/23/2021
2020 Land Rover Defender P300 110 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

We love our brand new 2020 Defender. Potential buyers should be aware though that most parts are unavailable currently in the USA and delayed supply chains for this model mean we are still waiting for a $1100 tail light cover (no comment) that someone cracked while we were parked at our local supermarket. 30 days have passed and no part in sight. According to our dealer locally, Land Rover is using all available parts to build new Defenders and not releasing any parts to existing customers and no word on when that will ease. My car is two months old and they knew of this problem when we bought it. If they had informed me of same, I would have made our 70K cash purchase with a brand that can support its loyal customers.

Great SUV

PA20Defender, 04/01/2021
2020 Land Rover Defender P300 110 S 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

I have had my Defender 110 for about 7 months and have put on 11,000 miles with no issues. The only slight hiccup I had was with a sunroof that wouldn't open, but the dealer walked me through a reset that took 30 seconds to fix. It is a great rugged vehicle, I take my 80 pound dog everywhere and the interior has held up well even with lots of mud and dirt. Very easy to clean. I have taken on some mild trails and lots of mud in Vermont and always performs. I am very happy with the purchase at this point.