2017 Kia Sorento Consumer Reviews - 54 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2017 Kia Sorento Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sorento model:

High speed steering alert - buyer beware
By Chris Burow

2017 Kia Sorento LX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

There are two issues which surfaced at around 18K miles. First, the electronics for climate control went on the blink but after restarting the car the issue corrected itself. Has not surfaced again to date. But the second and most important safety issue is the electronic steering which at speeds over 50 mph becomes erratic. The car pulls left and right and must be constantly corrected. The power steering becomes more and more difficult to manage as the car heats up. At two hours into a trip we were jerking the car back and forth to maintain the car in the lane. The steering becomes less and less reliable. Dealer said there were no code indicators when the car was taken in to address the problem. The dealer knows about the problem but claims he has to replicate it before he will address it, however, he is unwilling to take the car on a high speed drive for the time it takes for the problem to present itself. There are no problems thus far with low speed city driving. A quick internet search revealed this is a systemic problem which the manufacturer is unwilling to address. Would not recommend this model.

*LIMITED Warranty & Glitches
By Michelle B.

2017 Kia Sorento EX 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 6A)

At 42k miles we incurred a problem with the cruise control feature where it shut off on its own after driving approx. 4 hours and the parking break light illuminated (thankfully the brake was not actually engaged while we were driving). There was a previous incident where the cruise control shut off on its own as well. Kia's service center could not diagnose anything. We have also experienced intermittent problems with the USB/Bluetooth features with the ApplePlay and our iPhones. My husband has a 7s and I have a 5s (both acceptable for the current Appleplay compatibility according to Kia's website). After ruling out the power cord as being the issue by trying different power cords and checking for Apple updates on our phones we took the car in and discovered that the basic warranty for 60k miles does not cover the radio (grr) The radio is only covered for 36k miles or 3 yr (wcf) and Kia also could not diagnose any problems for this and chalked it up to being a phone issue. I have a mistrust for this car's computer as we discovered there were 2 computer recalls upon this visit (Lane Departure Warning System and Hydraulic Electronic Control). Lastly, if you buy this car used, kiss the 100k Powertrain warranty goodbye. Subsequent owners only get up to 60k mi powertrain coverage. Disappointing as my car w/ GM transferred their original warranty to a new owner if the car still met the mileage/time applied to original owner. PS the seats are not very comfortable on LONG road trips! So far leather quality is fine, but the padding itself is extremely firm and the lumbar feature doesn't help after a few hundred miles!

Love my Sorento "BUT"
By William Chelius

2017 Kia Sorento EX 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl 6A)

I love the car but the drivers seat is very uncomfortable. The seat has very hard supports on the bottom cushion and I need to put a pillow down or my back started giving me pain. This seat is design for small people and I am a big guy 6 foot and 250 lbs. It is so bad that I avoid driving this car and may trade it in.

Great suv, minor complaints. 2017 ex awd v6
By Kyles Kia.

2017 Kia Sorento EX 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl 6A)

This is a great midsize SUV. I traded a 2014 ford explorer and this is way better by far, at least it's not trying to kill me with exhaust fumes. My only complaint or couple of complaints is the interior lighting when the doors open is almost worthless for me. When I open the doors I want to see the interior lit up not just dimly lit up. The other complaint maybe a petty complaints But when the wipers come on you do not have the option of a courtesy wipe, I having to hit the wipers a couple of more times manually I know a petty complaint. What I love about this SUV with the V-6 is great acceleration 5000 pounds of towing capacity and I tow a 3000 pound boat with very little drama. I would buy another one tomorrow if I needed to. Five members of my family have switched from Ford or Chevy to Kia they are that good. 21,000 mile update: I stand by everything I said above, I love this car. I don’t know why more people are driving key is they are that good.

Inferior Interior Materials (Dash, Doors)...
By Ttahoe

2017 Kia Sorento L 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

The 2017 Sorento L has a very nice, comfortable ride. That said....I would not recommend this vehicle soley based on the inside interior materials used. While at my local Kia dealership today, I brought to their attention that the interior materials used, scratch and produce white scuff marks all over the doors, dashboard, around knobs etc. With the slightest touch, it scratches and makes unsightly white scuff marks/scratches. When I spoke with Kia, they stated the materials used, are "MADE TO DO THIS" (Kia's exact words) !! A $40,000+ vehicle, and you intentionally produce materials that are "made to do this" (scratch and produce white smudges and scratches?). Kia suggested I purchase Meguiere's wipes and use that to clean the scuff marks and scratches. That is their suggestion to an inferior material? Kia also suggested that I go to the sales floor and find a salesman and "TRADE" in my car for another one! I am disgusted with Kia's lack of customer service and or remedy for this issue. This is my first, and my last, Kia purchase. Terrible Customer Service!