Used 2005 Kia Rio Consumer Reviews - 35 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Kia Rio Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Rio model:

DONT BOTHER
By Upset

2005 Kia Rio 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

We have had a new engine, new timing belt, new starter, new fuel pump module and if I could remember the rest I would. This car is awful. FYI..IT'S STILL NOT RUNNING. Purchased the vehicle with 40 thousand miles and thought I got a great vehicle for my daughter.. What a piece..

Not Happy with this Buy
By Kimberly

2005 Kia Rio 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

This car started givings me problem basically after I bought it. When I bought it they told me it needed the fuel filter changed, but we could not figure out where it was. Not only that, but about after a month now it won't accelerate or change gears without struggling. RPM goes up high before changing on the freeway. Flooring it up hills and it not going passed 30 mph IF I'm lucky. I can only drive it in town, and I live in the country so I have to get on the freeway to get home, but now it won't go over 45 mph no matter how much I try. Now it's sitting at my parents house, and I can only drive it when I have too, around town. Now I have no way home without carpooling! I've had this car for 9 months and I'm done. Getting rid of it.

Beater.
By Tmt2014

2005 Kia Rio 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

Oh this car. What a hoopty! Got this car as I needed something quick after the timing belt broke on my Subaru Forester. I loved my Forester. This Rio, wow. What a piece. Both O2 sensors needed replacing, mass airflow too. Costly. It has 140,000 miles right now. Can't run the air, the car will die. Has died many times in rush hour Atlanta traffic. I hate this thing. Everything is so basic. It's quite embarrassing. I've owned Nissan, Ford, Hyundai. All were great. Not this. It needs to be put out of its misery.

so far kinda happy
By wondering13

2005 Kia Rio 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

my only problem is the rack and pionion (spell check) is having to be redone thank god my dad is a mechanic..but no one can make the 2 lines that the new one doesnt come with..i love this car besides the frustration of getting it fixed. its my only car so its nerve racking...i had a ford taurus and that was a big NO NO...i have spent over 7,000 dollars on it in 3 years..dont buy a taurus..im hoping the kia doesnt need anything else cause im broke.. :( i have replaced a few things but because i wanted to..

Please be aware
By buyerbeware9

2005 Kia Rio 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased this car from the original owner and at first was delighted with car. Kia was in great shape inside and out about 40k miles. Car was maintained according to manufacturer. Took car for oil change to dealer and was told because I was second owner warranty was not transferable so any repairs would be on me. At 74,000k car just stopped dead
no warning. Had car towed to shop..what do ya know the
timing belt broke and destroyed top part of engine. I was never informed of this until after the fact you are to replace the timing belt at or before 60,000 K. Kia said so sorry we can't help you. I have owned many cars from Lexis, Toyota, Honda and American and NEVER had this issue BEWARE !

Easy to fit in parking spaces and decent gas mileage.

Use a better quality timing belt and make sure consumer is very aware of how important it is to replace timing belt at 60,000K or before. Otherwise the result is a disaster money wise....my disaster cost us $1500.00 for the top part of engine........