Used 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Reviews - 447 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

Original $40,000 SUV
By Johnny Tingle

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Hood and trunk lid holders failed years ago. Should not happen on a $40K car.

Solid 4x4
By wbrem588

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I do not own this vehicle, it is my mother's. However, I do get plenty of seat time behind the wheel, so here's my personal experience. After owning a late model XJ Cherokee for over a decade, my parents picked up this 2005 WK Grand Cherokee almost 5 years ago. I believe it is the Rocky Mountain trim? Not 100% sure, but it is not a Limited model. It has the 4.7 8-cylinder, Quadra-Trac 4x4, two-tone grey leather, sunroof, heated seats, and that's about it on options. It now has almost 154K and it was bought with about 64K. It has generally been a very reliable rig in the almost 5 years of ownership. The 4.7 has been pretty much bulletproof. It runs great, it's pretty quiet, and it sounds damn mean if you lay into it. Not a Hemi by any means, but it and the 5-speed makes for a worthy power-train. With the exception of a new water pump installed and some electrical gremlins resolved at approximately 135K, and a 90K tune-up, oil changes have otherwise been the only maintenance performed. In the beginning of ownership, we did had issues with the vehicle stalling when you're coming to a stop. The dealer couldn't figure out the cause of this either. But, we found that if you run mid-grade gasoline, the stalling doesn't stop completely, but it stalls a whole lot less often, and it even seems to run a little better. It has never stalled on me personally. One more thing of note, the key fobs are not made very well. Both original keys fell apart maybe two years ago. Aftermarket fobs do not last long either, so buy new ones from a dealer the first time. Also, I believe that the TPMS sensor is going bad. Even with all tires filled to recommended specs, the sensor will beep and the light will flash at start-up, and then will flash every so often while you're driving. Not a huge issue really. Quadra-Trac has been flawless. It's a Jeep, after all. Mileage is so-so, it's gotten no more than 19mpg on the highway, and it seems to average between 15-17. Interior wise, it has all held up pretty well. The driver seat has a tear (there when bought), and the climate controls on the dash have never illuminated the whole time we've had it. Not sure if this is a common issue with the WK models, but it can be a pain in the rear to make changes when driving at night. Other than those two things, the interior has again been pretty solid. No leaks from the sunroof, and the heated seats get real nice and warm. Overall, the Jeep has been a good reliable SUV. Being the first year of this body style, it has had its little issues and quirks. Definitely pick up a 2008-10 if you can find one. I believe the 4.7 for those years received a significant bump in power and a small gain in efficiency, and there are a few details inside and outside that I think dress up the vehicle a bit. But the 2005-07 models won't leave you regretting your purchase by any means. If I didn't need to have a truck, I would not hesitate to daily one of these.

Not make as good as the older jeep
By walker

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

This jeep is poorly made, So many problems since I brought this new. jeep . In the past I owned 2 jeeps...a 1997 lasted 259. 000 miles and 1999 both were well made and basic trouble free. Not this junk...no more jeeps after this

HEMI BEAST
By AJ

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I'm the third owner of my 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with the Hemi option. At roughly 131,000 miles it still runs like a dream. Its common to hear that these Jeeps run into mechanical issues but I've had no such misfortune (knocks on wood). What can I say? It's an all around extremely capable SUV. The interior is simple and spacious (I'm 6'6), the only change I needed to make was adding a new Kenwood radio. And for its size and rugged Jeep reputation its an extremely comfortable ride. As the title entails the HEMI is a plus, especially if you regularly tow like me. The only negative aspect of this SUV is how hard it hits your wallet at the pump, its just too tempting to slam that gas pedal at every stop light to hear that big V8 roar.

Great Weekend Vehicle!
By Dennis McDermott

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5A)

Reliable 2nd or 3rd vehicle, perfect for hauling, hunting, fishing or just running errands