Skip to main content

Used 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A) Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used Grand Cherokee for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:
12345...14

482,803 km ( 300,000 miles) and still going strong

Rotorhead, 07/26/2017
updated 01/29/2018
Overland 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I purchased this Grand Cherokee Overland, new, in 2004. This is the third Grand Cherokee (WJ) and my first Overland. First of all, after spending the first 12 years in the USA, I exported my Jeep to Costa Rica. I converted the instrument cluster to metric per import requirements which is why the title wording. The Jeep had 262,000 miles at export and has had it's typical share of maintenance and repair items. Mileage is now over 300,000 with the original engine and transmission. The Jeep does have some modifications. Some for performance, some for mileage and some just for looks. I added a suspension lift to clear larger tires. Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland’s have a different axle gear ratio. This is for performance but fuel mileage suffers on the highway. By adding 31” tall tires I gained 1-2 MPH just by slowing the engine RPM’s Of course I needed to adjust the speedometer with a “tuner”, but also changed the fuel required to regular gas and better performance for highway driving. Mileage, on the interstate with moderate hills and mountains always averages 22-23 MPG. This is staying at the speed limit and easy acceleration. The addition of a cold air intake bumps the mileage up another notch too. I have always used Mobile 1 synthetic oil and a premium oil filter. Change intervals are 10,000 miles. Every three years I flush ALL fluids…brake, transmission, cooling, transfer case and differentials. Not all is perfect. I needed to rebuild my front differential due to excessive bearing wear. I replaced the front hubs and drive shafts at the same time since they were already out of the Jeep. Brakes are indeed a weak point on these Jeeps. The factory brakes didn’t seem to last long before warping became an issue. I replaced them with PowerStop brand and they lasted about 100k miles. I have accomplished this procedure three times now with the same predicted mileage…100k per set. The interior leather is not of the highest quality and the center arm rest needs to be recovered in synthetic leather. All in all, the Jeep performs very well, even in the tough third world environment. Like a contributor before stated…”take care of the Jeep and it’ll take care of you” Sound words of advice.

Jeep Grand Cherokee

Alfonso G, 05/24/2017
updated 12/02/2019
Overland 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

When I purchased my 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee it had low miles 40,000. I have hit 310,000 miles on it. All I can say is nothing but good things. I routinely have done the required maintenance on it, and up until last year 2018 I had to replace the belt, radiator, water pump, plugs, power steering reservoir, shocks. This things went well beyond their life expectancy. If I can get another 280k miles without having to replace anything on it would be golden. I use this SUV as a daily driver and for work. It's never left me stranded and I still can't believe how good of car it's been for me and my family. Everything on my Jeep is still original stock as from the dealer, the paint is beginning to flake off besides that I love this car. The power it still has is amazing I can perform or out perform any new car or SUV climbing steep uphills or riding in the snow using the Select Track option. Overall it's a well built SUV.

Great Used vehicle

Derek, 07/16/2016
Overland 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Purchased this 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 liter high output about 7 months ago. Had every option available. 10 disc cd changer, navigation, rock bars, sunroof, two tone leather. The wood trim looks great! The technology is now heavily outdated but still functions well! One problem since ownership began, power steering has been not functioning correctly but barely noticeable. Get stiff at low speeds, under 5 mph. Other then that, has been very reliable and has not once failed to start! Great off road as well, in the mud or rock. Stupidly drove in 32 inch of snow this winter, amazingly made it two miles home. Overall, I am very happy with the purchase and would recommend this Jeep to anyone in the used market!

3.5 out of 5 stars

Beautiful, powerful, but frequently in the shop

costeld, 06/02/2012
Overland 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Until the 2011 Grand Cherokee was released I thought the 2004 was the best looking year of the best looking bodystyle. Has robust suspension and agressive approach and departure angles for offroading (though most are just daily commuters). Interior on the Overland was very nice and had unique styling. Nice engine/exhaust note, felt more powerful and faster than its 265 bhp rating. Good towing ability: 5000 lbs hardly noticable.

4.5 out of 5 stars

What do you expect?

caljeepster, 09/29/2014
Overland 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I drive a 2004 Grand Cherokee 4.7 HO, 200k+ miles and going strong. I will keep this Jeep through 500k+ miles. When I was looking for a capable off-road with luxury comforts I found the WJ Jeep was best of the best. You will spend money on this vehicle, especially if you take it 150k+ miles but so what? You can find one used for $5,000. I typically spend 3-4,000 a year on my jeep but that is including lifting it 4", new tires and wheels and I use the 4x4 for fun on trails. That averages out to $300/mo. Not bad for vehicle that gets compliments every week and has rescued its fair share of other off roaders who lacked the power or traction to keep up with my Jeep. I love this Jeep.

12345...14